BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Law
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
flamingo

flamingo has a neutral reputation
Default Studying Law Overseas

Hi all,

I am considering taking the Law course overseas. However, I am not sure which university would be more suitable if I intend to pursue a career in Law in Singapore upon graduation.

Also, are the criteria more stringent than those for Singapore universities? What is the process for application like?

I hope it's not too late to be asking such questions!

Thanks!
flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

you're pretty vague. what do you mean by "suitable"? there are many countries with different application procedures. which country are you interested in?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
bridgehead

bridgehead has a neutral reputation

if u've got the time/effort to question him back, y not give him an overview of overseas law

List of Approved Law Schools under the Legal Profession Rules
UK universities
Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, London (King's College London, London School of Economics, Queen Mary & Westfield College, School of Oriental and African Studies, University College London), Manchester, Nottingham, Oxford, Sheffield, Southampton and Warwick

Australian universities
ANU, Flinders, Melbourne, Monash, Murdoch, New South Wales, Queensland, Sydney, Tasmania and Western Australia

New Zealand universities
Auckland and Victoria (Wellington)

USA universities
Columbia, Harvard, Michigan and NYU

keep in mind that to practise in SG, you'll need to get at least a 2:1, and you need to complete a one year diploma in SG law on your return

generally its better to go to UK for law, because the legal systems are more similar (since ours originated from theirs) and they're generally more recognised than Aus/NZ unis due to UK being the birthplace of common law and UK unis part of this long and rich heritage....for the US, keep in mind that med and law are postgrad degrees, you will have to complete a 4 year degree, work for 1-2 years, go to law school for 3 years (and besides, there're so few "recognised" US law schools by SG its simply not worth the effort if u intend to come back)

admission requirements wise (i'll talk about UK law schools since its more pertinent)

-oxbridge (u know....if u wanna know more, let me know)
-lse,ucl (3-4As, plus a good personal statement and teacher rec)
-kings, durham, warwick, nottingham etc. (2 As sufficient)

reputation and prestige wise

-oxbridge (u know)
-lse, nus, ucl, kings (this one's really debatable, since i know ppl who cant make it into nus going to kings, ucl, while i also know ppl who've made it to nus but choosing to go to lse, ucl)
-the rest

the thing about prestige is that it opens many doors for you (apart from the legal profession), but once opened, where u go to will depend on your ability

apply thru UCAS (single application for all UK unis, u have 5 choices), fill in your grades, personal statement and teacher rec, the gd thing about UK unis is that ECs don't matter
bridgehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
eugenechh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgehead View Post
if u've got the time/effort to question him back, y not give him an overview of overseas law

List of Approved Law Schools under the Legal Profession Rules
UK universities
Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, London (King's College London, London School of Economics, Queen Mary & Westfield College, School of Oriental and African Studies, University College London), Manchester, Nottingham, Oxford, Sheffield, Southampton and Warwick

Australian universities
ANU, Flinders, Melbourne, Monash, Murdoch, New South Wales, Queensland, Sydney, Tasmania and Western Australia

New Zealand universities
Auckland and Victoria (Wellington)

USA universities
Columbia, Harvard, Michigan and NYU

keep in mind that to practise in SG, you'll need to get at least a 2:1, and you need to complete a one year diploma in SG law on your return

generally its better to go to UK for law, because the legal systems are more similar (since ours originated from theirs) and they're generally more recognised than Aus/NZ unis due to UK being the birthplace of common law and UK unis part of this long and rich heritage....for the US, keep in mind that med and law are postgrad degrees, you will have to complete a 4 year degree, work for 1-2 years, go to law school for 3 years (and besides, there're so few "recognised" US law schools by SG its simply not worth the effort if u intend to come back)

admission requirements wise (i'll talk about UK law schools since its more pertinent)

-oxbridge (u know....if u wanna know more, let me know)
-lse,ucl (3-4As, plus a good personal statement and teacher rec)
-kings, durham, warwick, nottingham etc. (2 As sufficient)

reputation and prestige wise

-oxbridge (u know)
-lse, nus, ucl, kings (this one's really debatable, since i know ppl who cant make it into nus going to kings, ucl, while i also know ppl who've made it to nus but choosing to go to lse, ucl)
-the rest

the thing about prestige is that it opens many doors for you (apart from the legal profession), but once opened, where u go to will depend on your ability

apply thru UCAS (single application for all UK unis, u have 5 choices), fill in your grades, personal statement and teacher rec, the gd thing about UK unis is that ECs don't matter
Utter rubbish. You just need a 2:2 Honours Degree now to practice in Singapore.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
bridgehead

bridgehead has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechh
Utter rubbish. You just need a 2:2 Honours Degree now to practice in Singapore.
don't be a crackpot...

Scheme to Allow Graduates with Second Class Lower Division Honours Degrees to Practise Law in Singapore
http://notesapp.internet.gov.sg/__48...F?OpenDocument

it is possible, but subjected to numerous requirements, including 3-years of practice and an interview....Flamingo just stick to my original post
bridgehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
eugenechh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgehead View Post
don't be a crackpot...

Scheme to Allow Graduates with Second Class Lower Division Honours Degrees to Practise Law in Singapore
http://notesapp.internet.gov.sg/__48...F?OpenDocument

it is possible, but subjected to numerous requirements, including 3-years of practice and an interview....Flamingo just stick to my original post
I am not being a crackpot, it is you who is trying to be an irritating spitfire. I was just stating the facts. Anyone who has legal access to LawNet or LexisNexis can take a look at the subsidiary legislations of the Legal Profession (Qualified Persons) Rules. As for Bridgehead (the dunce), please scrutinize the aforesaid document in great detail before you start posting your inaccurate advice. Legal statutes are constantly being amended and you are looking at an archaic report which is dated almost TWO(2) years ago . If you achieve a 2:2 Honours Degree, you now only need 2 years of practice after graduation in Hong Kong or UK before coming back to Singapore to practice law. P.S. Nothing beats the annoyance and idiocy of a smart aleck.

Last edited by eugenechh; 07-18-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Zyvroklsayt

Zyvroklsayt has a neutral reputation

Making ad hominem attacks does nothing to bring your point across on the relevant issue. I am surprised that as a law student yourself, you do not know how to avoid the fallacy of making personal attacks. If you wish to correct his factual errors, then do so, but there is no need to commit ad homs and name-calling against each other.

Thanks.

edit: And that applies to everyone. Some people need to stop being so sensitive as well. It would help.
PGP Resident (08/09, 09/10Sem1), Raffles Hall Resident (09/10Sem2)
Email: [email protected]

Rule 2 from The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates: "A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on."

Last edited by Zyvroklsayt; 07-18-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Zyvroklsayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
eugenechh

Argumentum ad verecundiam is not suitable for a defective gene who has the temerity to call someone a crackpot.

Last edited by eugenechh; 07-20-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
ihatelaw

ihatelaw has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechh View Post
Argumentum ad verecundiam is not suitable for a defective gene who has the temerity to call someone a crackpot.
Pretty much sums up how moderately intelligent people behave these days.

MOD Ashearo EDIT: Please refrain from using profanities.

Last edited by Ashearo; 08-05-2008 at 10:54 PM.
ihatelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #10
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

To everyone, please do not post unless you have something constructive to add. Thank you.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote