BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Law
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #21
iDeAs

iDeAs has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
Amazing man.. ppl here do think UK are shorter and cheaper!
the crowd here is certainly different from HWZ...
to those that consider Warwick, will not take UTAS into consideration. those that do might find Oz cheaper.

esp with this new release in news
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/200812...e-0cd41eb.html
What is HWZ?

UTAS IS cheaper but its more of an exception. With A level, it takes 4 years in Aust to a Law degree compared to 3 in UK.

Other Aussie Unis in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, etc cost more in total for a Law degree than the UK for a long while now. Just check and do the sums, you'll be surprised.
iDeAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #22
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

don't be too concerned about the extra 1 year, because like I said, after a few years there's no difference. if you're partner material you'll make partner no matter what, and once you get to that seniority, you're just the same as your UK peers and you're not even gonna remember that you entered the profession 1 year later. also, the prestige won't matter either. go for an education you can afford and you'd enjoy.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #23
shin

shin has a neutral reputation

Hi everyone, I really need a serious and fast reply from anyone who can advise.

I cant get into the local unis for law, and am intending to apply to Australia.
My grades: ABBB (4H2)
Because its already in the middle of the year, I am trying to apply to Australia unis, because their terms start in this July or the coming Feb. If I am to apply to UK, they start around Sep 2011, next yr right? I think thats a waste of time; the gap yr?

And, I need advice on whether UK unis like King's, durham, nottingham, bristol etc accept students with ABB grades? I understand they require 2 As at least, but what are the chances of them accepting a single A student? (If supplemented with numerous volunteer work, attachments n internships in the legal industry.) Becos uk law schs are very competitive..

And I'm really confused as to whether I should go for Australia's law sch, this July or Feb, or with the gap yr and apply for UK's law schs instead? I'm also rather worried that becos Aus's law system is not really similar to Sg's, plus i've not heard of many aus grads in local law firms, then if i graduated from aus law sch, would it be hard to practise in Sg or even get into a law firm or sth? Moreover, if we study law overseas, it is necessary to get an honours right, and hopefully, 1st class?

thanks guys.
shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #24
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

I don't see how it'd be any different going to UK one year later, considering that the UK degree takes 3 years as opposed to 4 years in Australia. In the meantime you could apply for internships with local law firms to see how it's like and see if it's truly your cup of tea. Not to mention that Australia law could be more expensive, since it takes one more year than the UK law degree. If you go to UK instead, you'd prob pay less, and you could even earn quite abit of money in your gap year to help pay the bill.

Volunteer work won't really help. Internships may help to indicate your interest in law, if the UK law school in question asks for an essay where you can write about it. Otherwise UK and Australian law schools focus mainly on grades.

It's unlikely you'll get into KCL, but you may have a shot at the rest.

But if you go to Australia, you really don't need to worry about compatibility with the law here, since they are still very similar. Singapore case law cites both UK and Australian cases quite heavily, though I'm guessing more of UK because we did inherit the system there. If you're doing crimlaw, you may even encounter Indian case law because our penal code is heavily influenced by them.

You won't have a problem finding a job here with a good honours degree from a reputable Australian law school.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #25
iDeAs

iDeAs has a neutral reputation

"And, I need advice on whether UK unis like King's, durham, nottingham, bristol etc accept students with ABB grades?"

No but Liverpool, Leicester might.
iDeAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #26
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDeAs View Post
UTAS IS cheaper but its more of an exception. With A level, it takes 4 years in Aust to a Law degree compared to 3 in UK.
Note that you don't go straight into law for a UTAS degree. You study other subjects for a year before you can start doing your law degree (but it is still four years). You also need to do very well in that one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin View Post
Because its already in the middle of the year, I am trying to apply to Australia unis, because their terms start in this July or the coming Feb. If I am to apply to UK, they start around Sep 2011, next yr right? I think thats a waste of time; the gap yr?
You can apply to UK now - late application closes on 30th June, and you enter September this year, so you don't need a gap year.

Quote:
And, I need advice on whether UK unis like King's, durham, nottingham, bristol etc accept students with ABB grades? I understand they require 2 As at least, but what are the chances of them accepting a single A student? (If supplemented with numerous volunteer work, attachments n internships in the legal industry.) Becos uk law schs are very competitive..
I'm pretty sure Kings and Bristol require AAA at least*, so I don't think you have a good shot. They are still rather academic-focused. I know that Bristol requires the LNAT, so if you take the test and do very well, it may increase your chances. However, not all schools you mentioned require LNAT, and I've heard that the admissions office doesn't have a heavy emphasis on LNAT.

*I have heard one of the law professors for Bristol say that since they have to meet a certain number of international applicants, around 30 June they may relax the standards slightly. However, you should NOT wait that long, because that's only if they haven't met the quota (and now it is rolling admissions, so there's no telling when they will close their admissions). That means if they meet the quota BEFORE you apply, you don't have a shot at all. Also, I'm not sure how true that statement is, since he isn't actually an admissions officer.

Quote:
Moreover, if we study law overseas, it is necessary to get an honours right, and hopefully, 1st class?
How well you need to do depends on the law school. (You can check the requirements here, at the Ministry of Law's website.)
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #27
isaac

isaac has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Hi everyone, I really need a serious and fast reply from anyone who can advise.

I cant get into the local unis for law, and am intending to apply to Australia.
My grades: ABBB (4H2)

And I'm really confused as to whether I should go for Australia's law sch, this July or Feb, or with the gap yr and apply for UK's law schs instead? I'm also rather worried that becos Aus's law system is not really similar to Sg's, plus i've not heard of many aus grads in local law firms, then if i graduated from aus law sch, would it be hard to practise in Sg or even get into a law firm or sth? Moreover, if we study law overseas, it is necessary to get an honours right, and hopefully, 1st class?

thanks guys.
hi Shin, Nottingham and KCL, Durham etc all require triple A's. Though they might relax entry requirements cuz you're an international and paying full fees. I honestly think you should take the gap year; Aus law is more expensive than the UK, though their law schools require like BBB/BBC (UQ) only. with ABB, it's pretty risky applying to AAA schools in the UK.Maybe you have a shot at Exeter with their AAB requirements.

read this for more info at which uni is recognised by the bar:
http://app2.mlaw.gov.sg/UsefulInfo/P...4/Default.aspx

good luck!
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #28
shin

"....reputable australian university."

thanks all.
can i also get some of your opinions on whether its worth to get into Murdoch, Flinders university (aus)? since they are entirely not on the aus law uni rankings : http://www.australian-universities.c...hool-rankings/

Then how about sheffield university for uk? I heard they're a rather large law school, and thus accepts more students..is sheffield good? or comparable to murdoch and flinders?

oh how about western australia university? (will i get into west aus with ABB?)
thanks guys, cos ive consulted the aus agents etc, but still undecided, becos the agents said mudoch is pretty good, but im a lil doubtful since they arent on the rank chart..
Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #29
isaac

isaac has a neutral reputation

Quote:
"....reputable australian university."

thanks all.
can i also get some of your opinions on whether its worth to get into Murdoch, Flinders university (aus)? since they are entirely not on the aus law uni rankings : http://www.australian-universities.c...hool-rankings/

Then how about sheffield university for uk? I heard they're a rather large law school, and thus accepts more students..is sheffield good? or comparable to murdoch and flinders?

oh how about western australia university? (will i get into west aus with ABB?)
thanks guys, cos ive consulted the aus agents etc, but still undecided, becos the agents said mudoch is pretty good, but im a lil doubtful since they arent on the rank chart..
sheffield is good. in fact, it's an AAA for law. unlikely tt you'll be accepted to sheffield, honestly. go search their individual law websites. as i've said, apply to the AAB requirement unis.

don't ask whether you'll get into a certain law school here, you'll be better off searching the university's individual website, they'll have more info(and more accurate)
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #30
shin

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
sheffield is good. in fact, it's an AAA for law. unlikely tt you'll be accepted to sheffield, honestly. go search their individual law websites. as i've said, apply to the AAB requirement unis.

don't ask whether you'll get into a certain law school here, you'll be better off searching the university's individual website, they'll have more info(and more accurate)
oh ok, becos the agent said theres a chance of getting into sheffield since their intake is around a thousand..
how about murdoch and flinders university for law? are they good? are they worth getting into or getting into a lower tier uk college would be better?
thanks

OH yes, and may i know, whether we can practise law in singapore if we enter a private law college in singapore (external LLB)? for example, university of london external LLB?