BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
chiraagnt

chiraagnt has a neutral reputation
Default Law Universities Dilemma: LSE/UCL vs NUS

Hi guys,

I know this question has been asked and has been stickied already but maybe perspectives might have changed since then as that thread is quite old! Just wanted to see if any students in UK/NUS or even grads from these schools had opinions regarding this.

I've been offered a place to study law at LSE/UCL and NUS starting 2016 (Deferred entry) and am just thinking about the pros and cons of choosing UK Unis over NUS. The dilemma is I'm not too sure where I may end up working and in what career path but for now I'm highly interested in the legal field!

1) If I do end up studying there, are jobs still incredibly hard to get over there even with a LSE/UCL degree still?
2) If I do end up coming back to Singapore, will a LSE/UCL degree be given less/equal importance to a degree attained from NUS?
3)Will jobs still preferentially be given to NUS grads despite LSE/UCL maybe being better institutions since NUS students are locally taught?
4) Basic Pros and Cons of going overseas compared to NUS?

Thanks for the help!
chiraagnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
nady_reply

nady_reply has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraagnt View Post
2) If I do end up coming back to Singapore, will a LSE/UCL degree be given less/equal importance to a degree attained from NUS?
Definitely not. LSE/UCL are both very well regarded here.

Quote:
3)Will jobs still preferentially be given to NUS grads despite LSE/UCL maybe being better institutions since NUS students are locally taught?
Definitely not.

Quote:
If you can afford it, choose LSE/UCL.
- If you're planning to work overseas (even outside of the UK) in future, LSE/UCL is well regarded globally.
- You're only going to do your undergrad once. It will be a very good experience doing it in London and exposing yourself to a different environment (both in and outside of school).
nady_reply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
mishieru07

mishieru07 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Hi guys,

I know this question has been asked and has been stickied already but maybe perspectives might have changed since then as that thread is quite old! Just wanted to see if any students in UK/NUS or even grads from these schools had opinions regarding this.

I've been offered a place to study law at LSE/UCL and NUS starting 2016 (Deferred entry) and am just thinking about the pros and cons of choosing UK Unis over NUS. The dilemma is I'm not too sure where I may end up working and in what career path but for now I'm highly interested in the legal field!

1) If I do end up studying there, are jobs still incredibly hard to get over there even with a LSE/UCL degree still?

Thanks for the help!
1. I would say the UK job market is pretty competitive for training contracts, and much more so for pupillage. Simply going to LSE/ UCL isn't going to cut it - you'll need decent grades (2i or better) and a good CV to stand a reasonable chance of getting an offer (apart from doing well at interviews/ assessments, obviously).

2. The general impression I got was that LSE/ UCL is roughly seen as on par with NUS, but then again I'm not a recruiting partner. Maybe try and ask around and see what people say, although my gut impression is they would be treated as equivalents.

3. Same response as 2, although again, I stress that you should do your own due diligence. I don't really know very much about Singapore recruiting to be very honest.

4. Overseas experience, whether you would want to work overseas (never heard of NUS/ SMU people getting UK TCs), finances, spread of degree classifications (I believe it is relatively easier to get a 2i at least at UCL/ LSE).

If you are at all considering working overseas (UK and possibly Hong Kong), I would say that you'd probably give yourself more options by going to UCL/ LSE.
mishieru07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
law, lse, nus law, ucl