BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Aquaticsalmon

Aquaticsalmon has a neutral reputation
Default UNSW Accomodation 2016

Hi everyone,

I received an offer to study at UNSW Medicine yesterday. However, I'm unsure of the accommodation I should apply for at UNSW. I would like to stay in a college with strong sporting culture, clean environment as well as a close knit community. I'm not really the partying kind but would definitely like to go out and make friends.

Currently considering -
Basser, Baxter for its strong sporting culture. However, I heard that this college is on the wild side. And it's slightly older? I heard that they refurbished in 2014 but is it for all the Kenso colleges?
Colombo as it's cheaper, and self catered. I'm not too keen on catered food. However, I haven't been able to find information on the social/ sporting life here.
New College Village as it's cheaper and self catered. However, as it is not a UNSW college, I'm worried that I may be distant from campus life. Do NCV people participate in intercollegiate activities?
These are just the information i've collated through my research and I understand it may not be true - sorry if i've insulted anyone!

Also, does anyone know what kind of food they serve in UNSW? Is it worth the extra 150AUD/week? I'm afraid i'm unable to make it for all three meals (oversleep/ lessons/ going out for meals).

Would really appreciate any help at all Thanks in advance!

Thank you! :-)
Aquaticsalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
darco717

darco717 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticsalmon View Post
Hi everyone,

I received an offer to study at UNSW Medicine yesterday. However, I'm unsure of the accommodation I should apply for at UNSW. I would like to stay in a college with strong sporting culture, clean environment as well as a close knit community. I'm not really the partying kind but would definitely like to go out and make friends.

Currently considering -
Basser, Baxter for its strong sporting culture. However, I heard that this college is on the wild side. And it's slightly older? I heard that they refurbished in 2014 but is it for all the Kenso colleges?
Colombo as it's cheaper, and self catered. I'm not too keen on catered food. However, I haven't been able to find information on the social/ sporting life here.
New College Village as it's cheaper and self catered. However, as it is not a UNSW college, I'm worried that I may be distant from campus life. Do NCV people participate in intercollegiate activities?
These are just the information i've collated through my research and I understand it may not be true - sorry if i've insulted anyone!

Also, does anyone know what kind of food they serve in UNSW? Is it worth the extra 150AUD/week? I'm afraid i'm unable to make it for all three meals (oversleep/ lessons/ going out for meals).

Would really appreciate any help at all Thanks in advance!

Thank you! :-)
Hi Aquatics salmon, have you checked out the other forum called [email protected]? Maybe it could provide some help. Anyway I'm also applying for accommodations this year so I don't know much. However, with regards to Colombo house being cheaper, you might want to do your calculations again.. I'm thinking you might have just looked at the price per week (which was a mistake I made previously) The tenancy of Columbo house and the college halls are different (52 weeks vs 40 weeks) and if you consider the tenancy length, the latter may be more worthwhile.
darco717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accommodation, australia, medicine, offer, unsw