BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
isaac

isaac has a neutral reputation
Default Studying medicine in Sweden?

the karolinska institutet website says it's FOC for international students for now... wonder if it's feasible to go over there to study medicine?

the living expenses are only aound 8000 sek (1.5k sing)

i'm willing to study swedish... but not sure how proficient can i be in 2 years....

a long shot... what do you guys think?
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

If its going to be taught in English, then sure, go ahead and give it a shot. If its going to be taught in Swedish, ask yourself first how good you are at languages. To study Medicine in English is already very tough, it is probably even more challenging doing it in Swedish.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
SMUgger

SMUgger has a neutral reputation

http://www.valuemd.com/main-european...ls-europe.html

there is very little chance you will get into Karolinska. It is by far the most prestigious medical university in Scandinavia and one of the top in the world. If one wants to get in to study medicine over here then one needs to keep retaking your exams until one gets the very top grade in *every* single subject you have taken.

As I say, this might not be a problem for you but unfortunately the läkarprogrammet (the course that enables you to become a doctor of medicine) is only available in Swedish. There are two ways of proving sufficient competency in Swedish 1) TISUS, which is an exam offered by Stockholm university or 2) Svenska B, which you need to be a resident of Sweden to take (you need something called a personnummer). Neither of these routes are a piece of cake. To be honest (as someone who teaches English) it is much harder to prove competency for university level Swedish than it is to prove it for university level English. TISUS is nothing like TOEFL.

There are always far too many Swedish students every year who have 100% top grades to get into the medical program here and they basically pick a lottery for places. There are masses of Swedish and Norwegian students at medical schools in Poland because they can't get in here.

Sorry to write such a negative post. I'm not saying that you aren't intelligent enough to study in Sweden but you do have to speak entirely fluent Swedish before you apply. If you can afford it then you can always come over here and study something else (there are lots of courses you CAN do here that are in English) and then learn Swedish whilst you are here. The Swedish government pays for Swedish lessons for foreigners. You need to research SFI (Svenska För Invandrare) - they are the people who run them. You start off doing SFI A, then B, C, D then a course called SAS Grund, then Svenska A then Svenska B. It's kind of a long haul. It will take you a couple of years to get up to Svenska B. At least a year to 18 months anyway if you are good at languages and make Swedish friends etc.

What I'm trying to get across (and I hope it's clear) is not that it's a question of just being intelligent, which I'm sure you are, but there are just so many Swedish people trying to become doctors here that it would be very hard for a foreigner to get in.

If you lived here and intended to stay on after qualification then you might have a better chance. The problem is you would have to persuade them that this is the case

If you are really really set on coming to Sweden, then it's possible but you are talking about a couple of years before you get in to medical school. You'd have to find some reason to be here to get a visa (unless you have dual-citizenship with another EU nation) and then study Swedish to SvB level.
SMUgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Ashearo

Sounds like you'd have a better shot at Cuban Medical Schools.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUgger View Post
What I'm trying to get across (and I hope it's clear) is not that it's a question of just being intelligent, which I'm sure you are, but there are just so many Swedish people trying to become doctors here that it would be very hard for a foreigner to get in.
They might have quota for International students that are out of EU. maybe a handful or as limited as 1-3, still the competitive can be stiff... then again how many ppl outside EU want to go to those freebie countries like Sweden/Finland etc. Oops... there are plenty of PRC/Indians..
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Ashearo

It may be free but it's still good. It won't be free for long though.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
isaac

isaac has a neutral reputation

ok. it's a long shot. probably impossible. considering edinburgh now
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote