BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Rate My Chances!
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
max185

max185 has a neutral reputation
Default University Admission Score for Polytechnic Students - A guess at how its computed.

This is a post by one of the members in another forum.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2689590

The key problem is just that - we don't know how the university admission score is computed. However, over the years, based on experience, inquiries with the Admission Office, information gathered from interviews etc, we can guesstimate how it works.

====================================
University Admission Score - A guess at how its computed.
Disclaimer : This is but a GUESS. Not Official. With that understanding, proceed.

Official Information Available :
Polytechnic Results - 80%
'O' Level Results - 20%

The polytechnic results component seems straight forward enough :

Take C.GPA / 4.00 * 80 , to convert to 80 marks.

Examples.
3.90 => 78 / 80
3.85 => 77/ 80
3.75 => 75 / 80
3.50 => 70 / 80

Note how a majority of applicants would have GPA near or above 3.5 , resulting in a huge cluster of applicants scoring over 70 marks in the system. This would make more sense after considering the 'O' levels factor.

======================================

'O' Level Component : We know that that only 5 Subjects, including English are required. It is unknown whether English has a heavier weightage, but we can assume no for now. Over interviews, I have gathered that the grading scale is linear. i.e. 2 A2s is equal to 1 A1 & 1 B3.

With 5 subjects contributing to 20 marks, and the difference between each grade constant, we can guess the following scale.

A1 4.00
A2 3.40
B3 2.60
B4 2.20
C5 1.60
C6 1.00

Alternatively : 20 - 0.6 (L1R4 - 5)

An applicant with L1R4 of 7 points would therefore obtain 18.8 over 20 points, by this guesstimated system. If said student has a GPA of 3.85, his overall score would hence be 95.8. This score is entirely meaningless until you put it into perspective through some comparisons. (See below section)

The Polytechnic grading system is different from that of the Os, so this is only a guess.

We don't know if a C6 grade would award 1 point, but this should be fairly accurate if compared to the Polytechnic system. (The last pass grade has a GP of 1.0)

==============================

Some further testing.

L1R4 GPA Admission Score
5 4.00 100
7 3.85 95.8
14 3.97 94.0

At first glance, it would appear that the O lvls have a huge impact. There is another way of looking at this - to convert the O lvls into credit units and recompute the impact to the GPA.

If 6 semesters of grades form 80%, then 20% would be 1.5 semester worth of Credit Units ! Imagine if you convert your O lvls grade into another semester. The impact would be pretty significant !

GPA 4.0 : 80 marks
GPA 3.5 : 70 marks.
Difference of 1 Grade : 10 marks.

L1R4 5 points (All A1s) : 20 marks
L1R4 10 points (Average A2) : 17 marks
Difference of 1 Grade : 3 marks.

Impact of Os on UAC should be about 25% of GPA, so this is fairly accurate. (Different scale though)
max185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
mortpenguin

Edited thread title to avoid confusion with 'A'-Level results computing!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
max185

max185 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpenguin View Post
Edited thread title to avoid confusion with 'A'-Level results computing!
Cheers!
max185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
GSC1989

GSC1989 has a neutral reputation

Interesting post. Although this does not explain why I personally know of many people (especially the graduates from high demand polytechnic courses like Accountancy, Business and the Biomedical Sciences) with L1R4 of <8 and still failing to get into the university courses despite missing the percentile cutoff by 0.02-0.05 (revealed the following year) when the strong L1R4 should have made up for it.

It's still a good estimate though, assuming the conversion of UAS points for the polytechnic score is linear (i.e X/4.0 * 80).
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Forum viewers and users should be aware that there is a need to process and extract relevant information from posts objectively especially when opinions are involved.
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
hellamatrix

hellamatrix has a neutral reputation

What about secondary school CCA records? Do they play a part in the computation of O level scores?
hellamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
3el

3el has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by max185 View Post
This is a post by one of the members in another forum.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2689590

The key problem is just that - we don't know how the university admission score is computed. However, over the years, based on experience, inquiries with the Admission Office, information gathered from interviews etc, we can guesstimate how it works.

====================================
University Admission Score - A guess at how its computed.
Disclaimer : This is but a GUESS. Not Official. With that understanding, proceed.

Official Information Available :
Polytechnic Results - 80%
'O' Level Results - 20%

The polytechnic results component seems straight forward enough :

Take C.GPA / 4.00 * 80 , to convert to 80 marks.

Examples.
3.90 => 78 / 80
3.85 => 77/ 80
3.75 => 75 / 80
3.50 => 70 / 80

Note how a majority of applicants would have GPA near or above 3.5 , resulting in a huge cluster of applicants scoring over 70 marks in the system. This would make more sense after considering the 'O' levels factor.

======================================

'O' Level Component : We know that that only 5 Subjects, including English are required. It is unknown whether English has a heavier weightage, but we can assume no for now. Over interviews, I have gathered that the grading scale is linear. i.e. 2 A2s is equal to 1 A1 & 1 B3.

With 5 subjects contributing to 20 marks, and the difference between each grade constant, we can guess the following scale.

A1 4.00
A2 3.40
B3 2.60
B4 2.20
C5 1.60
C6 1.00

Alternatively : 20 - 0.6 (L1R4 - 5)

An applicant with L1R4 of 7 points would therefore obtain 18.8 over 20 points, by this guesstimated system. If said student has a GPA of 3.85, his overall score would hence be 95.8. This score is entirely meaningless until you put it into perspective through some comparisons. (See below section)

The Polytechnic grading system is different from that of the Os, so this is only a guess.

We don't know if a C6 grade would award 1 point, but this should be fairly accurate if compared to the Polytechnic system. (The last pass grade has a GP of 1.0)

Some further testing.

L1R4 GPA Admission Score
5 4.00 100
7 3.85 95.8
14 3.97 94.0

At first glance, it would appear that the O lvls have a huge impact. There is another way of looking at this - to convert the O lvls into credit units and recompute the impact to the GPA.

If 6 semesters of grades form 80%, then 20% would be 1.5 semester worth of Credit Units ! Imagine if you convert your O lvls grade into another semester. The impact would be pretty significant !

GPA 4.0 : 80 marks
GPA 3.5 : 70 marks.
Difference of 1 Grade : 10 marks.

L1R4 5 points (All A1s) : 20 marks
L1R4 10 points (Average A2) : 17 marks
Difference of 1 Grade : 3 marks.

Impact of Os on UAC should be about 25% of GPA, so this is fairly accurate. (Different scale though)
Do you know about using ITE result instead O-lvl?
3el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
CaiHongRainx

CaiHongRainx has a neutral reputation

There is a typo I think. B3 should be 2.8 instead of 2.6.
CaiHongRainx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
genermcmillan

genermcmillan has a neutral reputation
Default Make with good Guidence..!!

You can get good guidance from online . please contact a good guider from online, search for that....
genermcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
wuyuchen1111

wuyuchen1111 has a neutral reputation
Smile

Your computation for the O level looks a bit complicated. I have an easier one for you.

L1R4 - 5 points (full marks) = 20 marks in UAS
1 grade in O level equals to possibly 0.25/0.5/1 marks in the UAS.

Personally, I would prefer the 0.5 scales according to the information/inquires that I gathered over the years. Here is why.

Although Universities refuses to reveal the algorithm. But the following assumptions can be drawn from the education system itself.

1) no matter how badly you did, you cannot be awarded 0 marks in grading system unless you completely did not attend exams.

2) O level appears to be a big factor and do greatly affects the admission/scholarship admission

3) The purpose of USA computation is to select the academically better student and eliminate weaker students out of equation. Hence, each students' results should not be too close to one another.

Your computation is quite reasonable, but the problem is that it seems make no much difference by computing in that way. Since one lower grade obtained in A level USA has 1.25 to 2.5 marks difference, it only seem to defeat the purpose if the UAS variation is so small for Poly students.
wuyuchen1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #10
rcmaster

rcmaster has a neutral reputation

hi I would really need your help here!

I would like to know how to calculate UAS for polytechnic applicants?
My GPA is 3.61 (EEE) and O level Eng B3, A1 for Amaths maths physics chem POA. What are the chances of getting into NTU/NUS Accountancy with IGP of 3.8.

Is my O level good enough to pull up my UAS to compete against a 3.8 GPA?

Lastly, if I put accountancy first choice and electrical engg second choice, but fail to get into first choice, will I be disadvantaged against others who placed electrical engg as first choice?

(A staff from NUS admission office told me that applicants who place the course as their first choice and meets the cut-off point will get admitted first. While another staff at NTU told me there is no disadvantage regardless of first or subsequent choices.)
rcmaster is offline   Reply With Quote