BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Government > Previous Cycles
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
Tencharacters

Tencharacters has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
For those who have their status in Brightsparks as "Shortlisted for interviews" but aren't called/emailed yet, it is highly likely your application has been pushed to the next cycle - NSFs. Notice that they said only shortlisted applicants will be called within two weeks of the closing date.

I was personally quite disappointed because there were NO CALLS/EMAILS to inform me that my application had been pushed to the next cycle although I called up one week after the deadline of submission - They said they'd call back but I heard no news. Nothing at all. A week later I called again and that was the reply I received. (as above) FYI, I am an NSF (enlisted in Jan), not in BMT and therefore am able to access my HP 24/7. And yes, we are able to get Off-passes to attend interviews.

I'm not sure whether this is standard procedure for other scholarship providers. What I found appalling was how my application was trashed aside even though I had called them to enquire about my status (and they promised to call back). It would also have been better if they had informed us that our application had been pushed to the next cycle so we wouldn't get so nervous waiting for calls that would never come.
I haven't been very active on this forum for a long time...heh.
Anyway, this is a consequence of what happened during my time; NSFs who applied for multiple scholarships had to excuse themselves from several military training activities to attend their countless interviews. (Handling of emotions of NSFs can be a bitch for your military Commanders)

Cut it short, it meant a "NSF cycle" was implemented so that everyone stays for the whole course of military training (basic).

As for your case, even though you weren't in BMT yet, it might be due to the bureaucratic nature; "let's all lump the NSFs into the NSF cycle, regardless whether they have already enlisted." It should be a pre-decision that is rather rigid. As for your feeling, granted, they should have handled it better. Try to feedback to them. I'm sure they can do it better next time.
Tencharacters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #22
sam+k

sam+k has a neutral reputation

Hey guys,

I was fortunate enough to have made it to the final interview. Hence, I hope that I can, perhaps, shed some light on some of the issues that many of you might have encountered during this application process. Being part of the process, I understand how anxious some of you must be feeling, therefore, I hope this entry would be of some comfort and help to you.

To all those who were shortlisted but not contacted, it does seem that you are the "NSF batch". Looking at the type of interviewees that I have had the privilege to meet during this process, there is the Pre-NS batch, the girls who are entering university this year and local university students. This itself constitutes a significantly large number of applicants. From this, I can understand why the NSFs are pushed to the next cycle. This is because NSFs have the luxury of time, which the girls and local university students do not have.

Many might wonder, “Why did the Pre-NSFs have the privilege of going for this cycle?” In my opinion, they are a unique batch of people who are savvy and hungry enough to apply for this scholarship before they entered army. Hence, the remaining spaces for the interview should go to them. As for those who were enlisted in Jan and unfortunately became part of the NSF batch, do not feel disheartened. I am sure you are better off competing against other NSFs during the interview process than the more experienced university students. It might even be a blessing in disguise.

Having said so, it must be noted that SPRING Scholarship emphasized strongly that the scholarship does NOT have a quota as to the number of scholarships it awards per cycle. It can range from 30-50, depending on the quality of the candidates. Even so, I am sure it is in human nature to compare. Hence, do you not think it might be to your advantage, no matter how little, if you are in the NSF cycle?

For those who seek to know the specific details about how the interviews are conducted so that you can beat the system, I strongly urge you not to. It is unfortunate that our education system encourages system beaters. By artificially preparing yourself for the interview, you might be doing yourself a disservice if you realize later on that this isn’t what you truly have passion for. This is what the interview process is for. To sieve out those who are truly into entrepreneurship and those who are in it for the wrong reasons. Thus far, the integrity of the interview process is intact, and I do hope that it remains this way. Having said that, interviewees are told before each interview what is expected of them. Hence, there isn’t any real need to worry about being unprepared.

My experience thus far has been an eye-opening and enjoyable one. The culture at SPRING Singapore is really something distinct and unique. The people there are really friendly and easy to talk to as well. To those who were short-listed, I would like to say that I did not regret signing up for this scholarship and I am sure you would not regret it as well.

Last edited by sam+k; 05-11-2012 at 08:35 PM.
sam+k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #23
teddynuts

teddynuts has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam+k View Post
Hey guys,

I was fortunate enough to have made it to the final interview. Hence, I hope that I can, perhaps, shed some light on some of the issues that many of you might have encountered during this application process. Being part of the process, I understand how anxious some of you must be feeling, therefore, I hope this entry would be of some comfort and help to you.

To all those who were shortlisted but not contacted, it does seem that you are the "NSF batch". Looking at the type of interviewees that I have had the privilege to meet during this process, there is the Pre-NS batch, the girls who are entering university this year and local university students. This itself constitutes a significantly large number of applicants. From this, I can understand why the NSFs are pushed to the next cycle. This is because NSFs have the luxury of time, which the girls and local university students do not have.

Many might wonder, “Why did the Pre-NSFs have the privilege of going for this cycle?” In my opinion, they are a unique batch of people who are savvy and hungry enough to apply for this scholarship before they entered army. Hence, the reminding spaces for the interview should go to them. As for those who were enlisted in Jan and unfortunately became part of the NSF batch, do not feel disheartened. I am sure you are better off competing against other NSFs during the interview process than the more experienced university students. It might even be a blessing in disguise.

Having said so, it must be noted that SPRING Scholarship emphasized strongly that the scholarship does NOT have a quota as to the number of scholarships it awards per cycle. It can range from 30-50, depending on the quality of the candidates. Even so, I am sure it is in human nature to judge. Hence, do you not think it might be to your advantage, no matter how little, if you are in the NSF cycle?

For those who seek to know the specific details about how the interviews are conducted so that you can beat the system, I strongly urge you not to. It is unfortunate that our education system encourages system beaters. By artificially preparing yourself for the interview, you might be doing yourself a disservice if you realize later on that this isn’t what you truly have passion for. This is what the interview process is for. To sieve out those who are truly into entrepreneurship and those who are in it for the wrong reasons. Thus far, the integrity of the interview process is intact, and I do hope that it remains this way. Having said that, interviewees are told before each interview what is expected of them. Hence, there isn’t any real need to worry about being unprepared.

My experience thus far has been an eye-opening and enjoyable one. The culture at SPRING Singapore is really something distinct and unique. The people there are really friendly and easy to talk to as well. To those who were short-listed, I would like to say that I did not regret signing up for this scholarship and I am sure you would not regret it as well.
well written post! hope u get the scholarship offer! my Spring EDS experience with Mr Philip Yeo was truly memorable too he even gave me a contact to work with in comp sci
Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #24
teddybruce

teddybruce has a neutral reputation
Smile

I realised there isn't a thread for SPRING scholarship 2013 so I'm posting this here! Anyone got called up for the scholarship already? My interview is next mon and it's going to be held in school!

Can any seniors enlighten me about the scholarship process and what kind of people they are looking for? thanks!
teddybruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
Splitfirz

Splitfirz has a neutral reputation

I'll just share with you what Teddynuts shared with me earlier on last year.
Due credits to Teddynuts =)

"There is not much SME/current affairs question...ok there may be a few SME or entreprenurial questions, but they are not factual tests. i.e. the questions they ask for first round interview is very personal. What are your strengths/weaknesses? And the interview requires you to call up on many personal experiences, e.g. time when you lead a team and face a challenge, how did u over the challenge, how did u get an uncooperative team member to work with the team better, etc. For SME questions, do you wanna be an entrepreneur? what do you think is a successful entrepreneur? etc.

It is all very intuitive and introspective. Btw, these questions may or may not be exact. Questions may change, my memory has faded (due to NS), but the gist is there.

Dont forget there will be a written essay for 30 minutes. THey give you a GP type of questions...something related to SME obviously and ask you to write an essay. Just take it as your GP essay writing and you be fine. Dont need to mug about SMEs. Like the interview, the written test is really your opinion on SMEs (e.g. what makes a successful entrepreneur/enterprise) and your argument behind your opinion.

Interview is likely to be 1 on 1 for 10-20 minutes max. You should emphasise on who you are, your STRENGTHS and how your personality/strengths/skills/abilities are so valuable to either Spring or SMEs, or how passionate you are to be an entrepreneur. Just bring out what you really love to do and you be fine.

I am also from a engineering background. My background is largely computer science, but hey, they still accepted me! :P So really just show how your background prepares you for entrepreneurship and how u can be a successful entrepreneur. Look around! The most successful entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs are engineers! "
Splitfirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
teddybruce

teddybruce has a neutral reputation

alright, thanks a lot for your help!! D
teddybruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #27
wl16

wl16 has a neutral reputation

Hi,

I went for a phone interview with SPRING last week and they called me today to go for an interview with them next Wednesday!
From what I read previously there's assessment rounds as well as a presentation? But I didn't see anything about phone interview..
Can anyone give some advice on what to expect for this coming interview ? Would it be the presentation round or would it be just an usual interview?
Thank you so much!!
wl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #28
kelvesy

kelvesy has a neutral reputation

Anyone going for SPRING interview on next Friday?
kelvesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #29
rainforest93

rainforest93 has a neutral reputation

would like to enquire on the requirements to qualify for EDS scholarship in university. I am in Year 2 SMU with a GPA of 3.5/4. I understand that SPRING looks for minimally 3.4 and above so i just barely hit the grade. Would i be considered for the application and do they look at IP / A level results when selecting the applicants? The reason why i am asking is because i fared badly in those sittings. Just wondering if anyone knows about the selection criteria.

Edit: Also, when will they get back to us since the closing date for application is in early Oct? any successful uni grads here who managed to get the scholarship?
rainforest93 is offline   Reply With Quote