BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
apricon

apricon has a neutral reputation
Default NUS vs NTU Computer Science

Which school is better in terms of:
-job prospects
-teaching quality
-academic rigour
-school culture/life
-facilities/infrastructure

Thank you
apricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apricon View Post
Which school is better in terms of:
-job prospects
-teaching quality
-academic rigour
-school culture/life
-facilities/infrastructure

Thank you
1. Job prospects wise, NTU com science has a higher employment rate than NUS com science. But NUS has a higher median pay of 3500 compared to NTU's 3200.

NUS grads probably ask for more than NTU grads. But in turn, its easier for NTU grads to get a job, since their asking pay is lower.

2. I believe teaching quality is similar in both schools, the rigour is said to be equivalent as well.

3. School culture may differ, but both schools have active clubs and halls.

4. Facility-wise, both should also be on-par too. NTU is undergoing quite massive renovations right now. Its north spine is undergoing a total overhaul and the new 'dim sum' building will be officially opened by the time you get in.

5. This, in turn, gives NTU students much more study space. NUS students are always complaining that there is a lack of study spaces. For NTU, its not really an issue. There might be some competition for air-conditioned spaces at NTU during exam periods, but non-air-conditioned areas with power sockets and fans are always abundant, more than enough actually.

6. Distance-wise, NTU is more ulu and far away. Not an issue if you stay in the west. Even if you stay in the east, NUS is only a few MRT stops from NTU, so its not a big difference. Furthermore, NTU is quite 'compact'. NUS students usually take the shuttle bus to and from lessons. NTU students rarely do this. Unless you're coming from the halls to the main spines.

7. Speaking about distance, NTU's distance from the heartlands deter many outsider non-NTU students from coming and studying there. Unlike NUS, whereby even secondary and JC students will come and compete for study areas.

8. NUS has better branding than NTU. On computer science, NUS is also ranked 9th in the world while NTU is at 21. Both are pretty remarkable ranks.

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=

9. Fees wise, if you're singaporean, NUS will cost 5k more than NTU for the entire duration. Not a huge amount.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
apricon

apricon has a neutral reputation

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I got accepted into both schools and I can't really make up my mind. I am leaning more towards NUS because of its superior reputation, but I did not know about the lower employment rate until now. Any other input?
apricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Lower employment rate - mean they not getting jobs yes but reason could be, they not accepting low ball offers!

Not seen the stats but how is employment rate computed? First 3 mths of graduation? Or 1st year? Low does not mean no career prospects always stuck in the bottom. Ppl could have took their time finding the job that interest them vs what is on the table. These ppl may understand 1st step is very critical and took the time.

Last edited by patryn33; 04-19-2015 at 10:36 PM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #5
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
Lower employment rate - mean they not getting jobs yes but reason could be, they not accepting low ball offers!

Not seen the stats but how is employment rate computed? First 3 mths of graduation? Or 1st year? Low does not mean no career prospects always stuck in the bottom. Ppl could have took their time finding the job that interest them vs what is on the table. These ppl may understand 1st step is very critical and took the time.
the survey is 6 months after graduation. Considering that graduation is in August, and uni students finish their exams in May, it should be around an extra 3 months of job-hunting. So 9 months of searching for jobs. I'm not sure if anyone would hold out for so long.

But like I said above, its probable that NUS grads are asking for more, and not settling for less, hence their lower employment rate.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Local ivy not uncommon to go off and backpack for 1-3 mth upon graduation. Graduation trip fairly common. After trip then start to finding, so to few it's that long. I hope these ppl don't affect the result.

Commencement is July isn't it, June results also out so technically graduated.

It's also survey, for ppl not returning the paper work then there is a factor of some % of error. What's the sample size to qualify as a good survey? Confidence level? Statistic after all if not used in anything scientific I qns the accuracy of the result.

Finally googled. It's done in November after their final exam. It's really 6mth or less
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/post...es/ges-ntu.pdf
http://moe.gov.sg/education/post-sec...es/ges-nus.pdf

Last edited by patryn33; 04-20-2015 at 07:37 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote