BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Arts
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
orientails

orientails has a neutral reputation
Default Arts and social sciences

i am currently waiting for my a'level results and am interested in studying various subjects within the category of Arts And Social Sciences. The only reservations i have is with regards to job opportunities. Are subjects like Sociology or Geography valued here in Singapore?
orientails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Sparks

Sparks has a neutral reputation

Hi orientails,

In my opinion, which course you will pursue eventually should be based on your interest and not entirely on the prospects of the course. Many of us out there have careers that do not relate to what we study. Take the most common example, many engineering grads out there have "transformed" themselves into insurance and financial consultants, which have little or no relevancy to the knowledge they have acquired.

Job prospects wise, it may pave the path for your future studies or research at overseas institutions. On the other hand, there are many jobs out there which only require a general degree. Who knows, you might just be the only talented few in the area of sociology and geography who may be wanted when these fields become of interest in time to come.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
ultrapeanut!

ultrapeanut! has a neutral reputation

can someone tell me more about psychology and the future career prospects? i've heard alot that singapore doesnt really have the market for psychologists and if you really want to do well in that field, you must further your studies whenever possible -- is it true?
ultrapeanut! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
laefynut

laefynut has a neutral reputation

It really depends on what you want to do with your psychology degree - educational psychology? criminal psychology? counselling psychology? go into academia? Or you can even take your psychology degree and go into journalism, human resource...my point is that psychology can be applied to almost anything, and you can do quite a bit with a psychology degree.

Even if you mean 'psychology' as in sitting down and counselling people, there's still a huge array of jobs on offer. Working with a VWO, in MCYS/NCSS, working in private practice, working in schools...if that's the 'market' you mean, then no, I don't think Singapore is short of opportunities. Plus, the government has been focusing a lot on mental health lately, so if anything, I think the market is going to expand.

HOWEVER, if you want to go into research and academia, then yes, it would be good to further your studies abroad. It's not that local universities don't have good psychology courses, but 1) overseas unis do tend to have more experience, their courses have been around for longer 2) the field of psychology in the US or UK is more developed, so the infrastructure and the support is there 3) as much as we hate it, there's the brand-name recognition of reputed overseas unis, and your future employer is going to take that into consideration.

Hope that helps!
laefynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
ultrapeanut!

ultrapeanut! has a neutral reputation

hey to laefynut, thanks a million((:! that was great help. i'm thinking of going into educational psychology by the way..
ultrapeanut! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
kyrii

kyrii has a neutral reputation

apply moe scholarship la. then u can get your psych degree with sponsorship, then you can teach pri school ems or sec school english for a few years, then further your studies get masters in educational psychology that's what a few of my friends are doing.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
sss

sss has a neutral reputation
Default Sociology

Hi I would like to know more about sociology and its career prospects. It's considered a general degree right?
sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #8
orientails

orientails has a neutral reputation

thank you sparks!
I will be applying to join NUS FASS!
orientails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
orthoptics

orthoptics has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientails View Post
i am currently waiting for my a'level results and am interested in studying various subjects within the category of Arts And Social Sciences. The only reservations i have is with regards to job opportunities. Are subjects like Sociology or Geography valued here in Singapore?
Many Geog majors seem to be teaching scholars so job opportunity is a non-issue for them.

Yes, sociology is a general degree. Very few jobs actually specifically ask for a sociology degree per se, so you'll be at a slight disadvantage. Probably easier to get a job in the civil service (MINDEF, MCYS, etc), where the starting pay would also be higher.
orthoptics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

do note that there's a difference between psychology and psychiatry. the person who sits there and listens to you and charges you a fortune per hour while you lie on the couch is a psychiatrist.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fass