BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Arts
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
sunshinemint

sunshinemint has a neutral reputation

If i were to major in sociology at uni level, what other jobs can i take? Since its a general degree, it would mean that i can practically do ANY jobs right? How do i give myself more advantage? :s
sunshinemint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

dershing has a neutral reputation

well, I think the way to think of things is as follows :

Every job function (ie. HR, sales, marketing, management, technical etc) has certain requirements even at entry level jobs. These include :

1) Right skills set for the job. For engineers, it means formal engineering training, ditto for lawyers, doctors, vets etc. But of course, that still leaves many functions which do not seem to need formal academic skill sets. Eg, sales, some argue marketing or even PR, marketing, management.

2) which brings us to right personality, behavorial fit. This means things like persuasiveness and persistance for sales, detail orientedness for editorial work, creativity for coding, design etc. For many non-technical positions, the key requirements are this kind of stuff.

So when you view your question under this light, then it means that yes, you can study socialogy and do anything which does not require a technical knowledge/formal knowledge, but you need to then make sure you can show that you have the right personality/track record for the job. Eg, if you study sociology and want to work in journalism. Then show an aptitude for writing and do freelance writing for magazines while in uni. Have a curious mind and show persistance and resourcefulness and ability to be deadline driven!
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:27 AM   #13
orthoptics

orthoptics has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinemint View Post
If i were to major in sociology at uni level, what other jobs can i take? Since its a general degree, it would mean that i can practically do ANY jobs right? How do i give myself more advantage? :s
Internships, part-time jobs, CCA involvement, volunteer work, research assistantships...
orthoptics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #14
sunshinemint

sunshinemint has a neutral reputation

whoa that gives me more insight!haha...now it is a matter of which uni to go to..still very much undecided!
sunshinemint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
tagore

tagore has a neutral reputation

Quote:

Hi,

I did a single major Soci at NUS. All electives were economics.
I have a wonderful career. started off as mech engineer at a wafer company. then worked in sg for sometime before going to china and hong kong to work. Yes its a general degree but it is up to you to succeed. pick an additional language like japanese, french.
good luck
tagore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #16
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

hi tagore, I was wondering - how did you become mech engineer with a FASS degree?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
SMUgger

SMUgger has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Interesting read:

I read sociology, considered a general degree, which I had thought would offer me considerable options in the working world.

After all, my peers who opted out of the honours track and hence graduated a year earlier than I did are all working in very different professions: sales, teaching, banking, communications and even airspace management, to name but a few.

But it seems my repeated tries are telling me otherwise.

While I do not disparage the discipline for which I have much respect, I do in hindsight wonder if it was prudent for me to have chosen my major out of interest rather than practical reasons.

http://business.asiaone.com/Business...04-139205.html
SMUgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
tagore

tagore has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
hi tagore, I was wondering - how did you become mech engineer with a FASS degree?
Haha, i actually applied for a planner position - told them that i can plan my timetable in school. they gave me the mech engineer job..
tagore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #19
grace1111

grace1111 has a neutral reputation

Yes, sociology is a general degree. Very few jobs actually specifically ask for a sociology degree per se, so you'll be at a slight disadvantage.
grace1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #20
freakingCoNfUsEdDdD

freakingCoNfUsEdDdD has a neutral reputation

Hi guys, I got BCC/AB for my As so that kinda limits the number of courses i can choose in uni..long story short, i did my research on sociology and realised that i actually liked the subject very much. However, chancing upon this thread has somewhat evoked a sense of fear in me..

is it possible for a soci graduate to become a gp tutor?
freakingCoNfUsEdDdD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fass