BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
4rch3rdz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
4rch3rdz has a neutral reputation
Default NTU DDP or NUS accoutancy?

Hi all,
I was recently accepted to both NUS accountancy and NTU biz and acc ddp and i have a really hard time choosing between them. One thing i really hope for is a fun campus life in uni which i find ntu to maybe be lacking in. However, i do know that ntu biz and acc is much more competitive and maybe edges out nus acc. Any thoughts on this?
4rch3rdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
nady_reply
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 69
nady_reply has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rch3rdz View Post
However, i do know that ntu biz and acc is much more competitive and maybe edges out nus acc.
personally, I won't choose NTU just for the DDP. not worth it.
nady_reply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
Liao
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 155
Liao has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rch3rdz View Post
Hi all,
I was recently accepted to both NUS accountancy and NTU biz and acc ddp and i have a really hard time choosing between them. One thing i really hope for is a fun campus life in uni which i find ntu to maybe be lacking in. However, i do know that ntu biz and acc is much more competitive and maybe edges out nus acc. Any thoughts on this?
If I were you, I would choose to go for NTU accountancy single degree. Save a year for your career...
Liao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
Eos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4
Eos has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rch3rdz View Post
Hi all,
I was recently accepted to both NUS accountancy and NTU biz and acc ddp and i have a really hard time choosing between them. One thing i really hope for is a fun campus life in uni which i find ntu to maybe be lacking in. However, i do know that ntu biz and acc is much more competitive and maybe edges out nus acc. Any thoughts on this?
Haha, I applied for the same courses as you and am also in a dilemma which one to choose. I really like the NUS campus and 'frills' like the USP and NOC. However, NBS had a much longer history than NUS in accountancy and it will also be easier to get a good honours. Did you apply for scholarships? Because my family is not really well to do I'm banking my decision on which uni gives me a scholarship (financial aid does not cover the full cost and I really want to stay in hostel and go for overseas exchange programmes which are quite expensive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nady_reply View Post
personally, I won't choose NTU just for the DDP. not worth it.
Is NTU really that bad? :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liao View Post
If I were you, I would choose to go for NTU accountancy single degree. Save a year for your career...
From my experience in working in one of the big 4 and talking to the people there, it is true that it makes more sense to study the single degree in NTU if you intend to work there because the pay increases on an annual basis. I applied for the ddp because I am also semi-interested in actuarial science and would like to experience some modules before I decide which degree to drop (it can be done easily from what I heard). I also heard it's easier to get the nanyang scholarship with a ddp?

Sorry couldn't be much of a help here as I am also unsure which one to choose.
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:32 AM   #5
4rch3rdz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
4rch3rdz has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos View Post
Haha, I applied for the same courses as you and am also in a dilemma which one to choose. I really like the NUS campus and 'frills' like the USP and NOC. However, NBS had a much longer history than NUS in accountancy and it will also be easier to get a good honours. Did you apply for scholarships? Because my family is not really well to do I'm banking my decision on which uni gives me a scholarship (financial aid does not cover the full cost and I really want to stay in hostel and go for overseas exchange programmes which are quite expensive)
Haha yes i applied for both scholarships as well. Probably leaning towards the uni that gives me a higher tier scholarship. But I am more biased towards NUS due to the more "happening" campus life that I keep hearing about. Also because of the brand name and the contacts you could potentially make in the flagship school of our country. However, the much easier honours of NTU does appeal to me as well and I know campus life there is not too far off from NUS. So I am really having a tough time deciding.
4rch3rdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
zacxy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 48
zacxy has a neutral reputation
Default

If you're interested in accountancy, then no doubt, choose NTU. Its accountancy programme is way more established than NUS'. Comparing the history of both programmes, their alumni bases, accreditations, education and research, NTU wins hands down. If it were business, then it'd be a totally different story.

NTU's 3 year direct honours programme can save you a year of school fees and give you a huge headstart in your career. NUS' 4 year programme requires you to do a dissertation (thesis) to get honours, making it really academic. If I were you, I'd choose to save that one year of studies and go out to work, because I believe that work experience is much more valuable than getting an honours thesis. Alternatively, you could spend that one year taking up a double degree in business, where you get to specialise in say, Banking and Finance, Marketing, or even Actuarial Science. That will give you a broader education and expose you to other aspects of business.

Hence, for a single degree in accountancy, I would choose NTU over NUS. And if I'm offered the DDP in ACBS, the choice is clear.

If you're very interested in student life, I believe it will be similar at both NUS and NTU since they are both very large and comprehensive universities. NTU has more halls than NUS hence I'm sure hall life is equally if not even more vibrant than NUS. NTU has recently introduced many new programmes like the USP than can also be found at NUS. Therefore, comparing the vibrancy of student life at both universities, the difference is negligible, really. Of course, if you're applying for a scholarship then the answer is clear - choose the one that gives you the scholarship. Unless you get both, then well you have a happy problem. All the best!
zacxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
nady_reply
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 69
nady_reply has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liao View Post
If I were you, I would choose to go for NTU accountancy single degree. Save a year for your career...
if you're like most singaporeans, you're going to be working for the next 20-30 years of your life. what difference would one year make unless your family is in very serious financial difficulties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rch3rdz View Post
Also because of the brand name and the contacts you could potentially make in the flagship school of our country.
Precisely why I'll choose NUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rch3rdz View Post
However, the much easier honours of NTU does appeal to me as well and I know campus life there is not too far off from NUS.
I disagree with both points.
nady_reply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #8
zacxy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 48
zacxy has a neutral reputation
Default

It's not so much the cost savings of 1 year of tuition fees (but hey, tuition fees have been rising year after year), but rather it's the 1 year of work experience and income that counts. Your peers at NUS and SMU will be stuck in school while you have a headstart in building your dream career. You can even check out the curriculum for the fourth year of studies; will reading an additional few level-4000 modules outweigh a full year of work experience at a company? A year's headstart could very well result in faster career progression in the future. Furthermore, for guys who have to serve NS, you would have already been two years behind your female colleagues at work. And those guys who went to poly, make that three years (compared to the JC girls).

With regards to reputation, many will argue that NUS has a greater reputation. Locally, the difference is really negligible. Let's put it this way - NUS produces around 200 accountancy grads each year, but NTU produces 600 (a whopping three times the amount EACH YEAR!). NUS' accountancy programme began in 2006 while NTU's started in 1987. It's obvious that NBS has a far larger alumni base than NUS. Both NUS and NTU have AACSB and EQUIS accreditations for their business programmes but only NTU has the AACSB accreditation in accounting. Refer to this http://www.aacsb.edu/accreditation/a...ntry=Singapore

While NUS might be Singapore's flagship university, its accountancy programme really offers no unique selling proposition apart from the fact that it is housed in NUS. The NUS brand name is reputed, but not for all of its courses. Sometimes, it's the underdog spirit from those in NTU or SMU that spurs students to work harder to bring up the reputation of their schools and this could eventually lead them onto the path of success. In summary, I'd advise you not to spend too much time over-thinking about which university you should accept but instead, take this time to plan your own education and decide what you wish to accomplish at the end of your stay, because that is what truly matters. Your university alone does not make or break your success.

Last edited by zacxy; 04-04-2015 at 10:48 PM.
zacxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
nady_reply
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 69
nady_reply has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacxy View Post
It's not so much the cost savings of 1 year of tuition fees (but hey, tuition fees have been rising year after year), but rather it's the 1 year of work experience and income that counts. Your peers at NUS and SMU will be stuck in school while you have a headstart in building your dream career. You can even check out the curriculum for the fourth year of studies; will reading an additional few level-4000 modules outweigh a full year of work experience at a company? A year's headstart could very well result in faster career progression in the future. Furthermore, for guys who have to serve NS, you would have already been two years behind your female colleagues at work. And those guys who went to poly, make that three years (compared to the JC girls).
As I've said, you're going to be working for the next 20-30 years of your life. What's the rush even if you're 2, 3 or 4 years behind? In the bigger scheme of things, it doesn't really matter does it? It's so typical for singaporeans to be rushing here and rushing there instead of enjoying the journey and making the most out of your undergraduate experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacxy View Post
With regards to reputation, many will argue that NUS has a greater reputation. Locally, the difference is really negligible. Let's put it this way - NUS produces around 200 accountancy grads each year, but NTU produces 600 (a whopping three times the amount EACH YEAR!). NUS' accountancy programme began in 2006 while NTU's started in 1987. It's obvious that NBS has a far larger alumni base than NUS. Both NUS and NTU have AACSB and EQUIS accreditations for their business programmes but only NTU has the AACSB accreditation in accounting. Refer to this http://www.aacsb.edu/accreditation/a...ntry=Singapore
I don't know what's the obsession with Singaporeans and accreditation. Many good schools like NYU and LSE do not have AACSB accreditation. Does it stop their graduates from being hired by top-tier firms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacxy View Post
Sometimes, it's the underdog spirit from those in NTU or SMU that spurs students to work harder to bring up the reputation of their schools and this could eventually lead them onto the path of success.
Again, typical singaporean mentality with no concept of "branding" and "networking".
nady_reply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
zacxy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 48
zacxy has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nady_reply View Post
As I've said, you're going to be working for the next 20-30 years of your life. What's the rush even if you're 2, 3 or 4 years behind? In the bigger scheme of things, it doesn't really matter does it? It's so typical for singaporeans to be rushing here and rushing there instead of enjoying the journey and making the most out of your undergraduate experience.



I don't know what's the obsession with Singaporeans and accreditation. Many good schools like NYU and LSE do not have AACSB accreditation. Does it stop their graduates from being hired by top-tier firms?



Again, typical singaporean mentality with no concept of "branding" and "networking".

I'm sorry, did you just compare NUS to NYU or LSE? NUS is way up there, it's Singapore's Harvard, no less. Please don't degrade the reputation of Singapore's flagship university, thank you. I stand corrected; an NUS education will land you a top-paying career because of the 'N' in 'NUS', and it's such a pity that NTU grads will always remain second-class graduates because there can only be one flagship university. All other universities should close down because the brand name of NUS is simply too strong to compete against. #NUSbecause
zacxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.