BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nady_reply View Post
As I've said, you're going to be working for the next 20-30 years of your life. What's the rush even if you're 2, 3 or 4 years behind? In the bigger scheme of things, it doesn't really matter does it? It's so typical for singaporeans to be rushing here and rushing there instead of enjoying the journey and making the most out of your undergraduate experience.
Actually for accountancy or for biz courses, there really is no point in studying that one extra year. NTU's 3-year accountancy/biz fits the bill. Nobody goes into post-grad research for accountancy/biz. So save that 1 year, work experience is more important. And like you said, in the long run, what does that extra 1-year of study matter?

Other science/engin or even humanities courses differ because their applications of the work are closely tied to research. So that 1 extra year in school is more beneficial.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
legendary

legendary has a neutral reputation

Barring the two users above who are certainly headed on a path chasing each other in circles, and to respond to OP's queries:

- Both the business schools of NUS and NTU are equally competitive.

- Campus life in NTU is enjoyable. It all depends on how involved you want to be.

- Both business schools are sufficiently well-recognized, so branding is out of the question. Securing contacts and building your network is mostly dependant on your own effort and interest in doing so, rather than which university you are in. From a neutral standpoint, both schools have career-planning departments/staff who are able to assist you with regard to doing so.
legendary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #13
jerichroberts

jerichroberts has a neutral reputation

Well, NUS' Accountancy programme has a very broad base in Business, so completing the Accountancy programme also satisfies the requirements of the Business degree.

The Accontancy degree is like a Business degree with a double-weighted Accounting, and which can be completed in a short 3 years without honours.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:08 AM   #14
devastated

devastated has a neutral reputation
Default Many Questions

I've a friend whose sister graduated from DDP, and i think the picture isn't as rosy as they would have you think. Most could only find a job needing 1 degree (according to her sister, an average joe in the DDP), sure they have an edge over single degree candidates, but their employability and salary drawn says otherwise.

Statistics for the year of 2014 in NTU's DDP Biz/Acc says that the average gross monthly salary (after adding in commissions/OT etc) is $3,597 (source: http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/post...es/ges-ntu.pdf)

Stats for 2014 in NUS's Biz admin (Which is easier to get in than Biz Admin [Acc]) says that avg gross monthly salary (after adding in commissions/OT etc) is $4,090 (source: http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/post...es/ges-nus.pdf)

Both takes 4 years to complete, and even though Biz Admin has a lower IGP than Biz Admin (ACC), it seems like their fresh grads get the highest salary.

Another thing i'd like to note about NTU's DDP is that, as they shared, for the year of 2013, the top 10% (10 students out of their 100 strong cohort, I use 100 for simplicity though there's actually 150 people.) commands an income averaging at about $8,000. Correct me if i'm wrong, but since their average monthly gross salary for that year is 3.7k, this means the other 90 students would have to be getting 3.1k AND BELOW for this to be possible.

I'm assuming that NUS fresh grads do not have incredibly high salaries of 8k, so perhaps their average monthly salary is more reliable. (Can someone refute this point of mine? Help! I'll really appreciate it)

Just pointing this out because it has been disturbing me, if my above point holds true, then could someone tell me why, despite having TWO degrees, the average joe in NTU's DDP earn $900 less per month than the average joe in NUS Biz Admin? Isn't NBS better than NUS's Biz School?

Why does NUS Biz school state that they are the oldest and most established business school in Singapore, isn't it NBS?

Also, I like how you can choose to grad as Biz Admin (Acc) or Biz Admin, as long as you took Biz Admin (Acc). But what about honours though? Does it also apply?

I have alot of questions and no answers. I'll be really grateful if someone could provide some honest answers for me, without biasness. Thank you!
devastated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:17 AM   #15
devastated

Default Confused

What is troubling me, is also the speed at which they scale the corporate ladder. I know that although the starting salary for Biz Admin fresh grads is higher, Biz Admin (Acc) grads have salaries that increase much faster than Biz Admin grads.

I am wondering if the same holds true for NTU's DDP? Since they hold two degrees, does it give them more edge in scaling the corporate ladder? There is no information on this crucial point at all. I don't mind a low starting salary as long as career progression is fast and my salary increases fast too. I'm deeply troubled by this lack of transparency, how can i make a correct decision without such data? For all i know, people may be beguiled into NUS, only to find out that their NTU DDP counterparts progress up the ladder at twice their speed. This is what i'm fearing the most, and right now I have no way of figuring out the best course to choose. If you ask me about passion, then I can safely tell you now that i have none, terms like actuaries, fund managers, and risk analysts are as foreign to me as russian. My only indicator of success now is to make a good investment, so my question is, in all its blunt practicality: Which course would give the best returns in the long run?
Old 04-17-2015, 04:15 AM   #16
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

scaling the corporate ladder is often never about the paper but who you know-connected and perhaps capability.

these factors never shows up on where U grad.

say u skip levels and is buddy buddy with your senior exec one maybe promoted faster. I have come across ppl bringing in starbucks to their senior exec/management, go golf, invite them home for fancy dinner or drinks with them. Spouse also mingle with their family etc. on a few occasions in different companies I seen working level getting one promo annually, on other occasions some got a double promotion.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:16 AM   #17
zacxy

zacxy has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
scaling the corporate ladder is often never about the paper but who you know-connected and perhaps capability.

these factors never shows up on where U grad.

say u skip levels and is buddy buddy with your senior exec one maybe promoted faster. I have come across ppl bringing in starbucks to their senior exec/management, go golf, invite them home for fancy dinner or drinks with them. Spouse also mingle with their family etc. on a few occasions in different companies I seen working level getting one promo annually, on other occasions some got a double promotion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devastated View Post
What is troubling me, is also the speed at which they scale the corporate ladder. I know that although the starting salary for Biz Admin fresh grads is higher, Biz Admin (Acc) grads have salaries that increase much faster than Biz Admin grads.

I am wondering if the same holds true for NTU's DDP? Since they hold two degrees, does it give them more edge in scaling the corporate ladder? There is no information on this crucial point at all. I don't mind a low starting salary as long as career progression is fast and my salary increases fast too. I'm deeply troubled by this lack of transparency, how can i make a correct decision without such data? For all i know, people may be beguiled into NUS, only to find out that their NTU DDP counterparts progress up the ladder at twice their speed. This is what i'm fearing the most, and right now I have no way of figuring out the best course to choose. If you ask me about passion, then I can safely tell you now that i have none, terms like actuaries, fund managers, and risk analysts are as foreign to me as russian. My only indicator of success now is to make a good investment, so my question is, in all its blunt practicality: Which course would give the best returns in the long run?
Completely agree with patryn. Your cert won't matter after a few years of work experience. And if your priority is to get the highest possible salary, why not choose SMU? It has the highest median and mean gross and basic salaries for both accountancy and business, and has the lowest IGP.
zacxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #18
devastated

I have been told that the salaries of accountants increase at a much much faster rate than their business counterparts, this part you agree?

I was wondering if the same situation applies for DDP holders. Ofcourse connections can help anyone scale the ladder quickly, but there are more factors than connections alone, such as their possible career pathways and whatnot, and how quickly on average they can move between the different positions.

Id leave out SMU since this tread is comparing between NTU and NUS solely, i assume the tread owner has not applied to SMU (Same here)
Old 04-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #19
zacxy

zacxy has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastated View Post
I have been told that the salaries of accountants increase at a much much faster rate than their business counterparts, this part you agree?

I was wondering if the same situation applies for DDP holders. Ofcourse connections can help anyone scale the ladder quickly, but there are more factors than connections alone, such as their possible career pathways and whatnot, and how quickly on average they can move between the different positions.

Id leave out SMU since this tread is comparing between NTU and NUS solely, i assume the tread owner has not applied to SMU (Same here)
Compared to other professions, accountancy tends to have lower starting salaries but faster salary increments and career progression. This is largely due to the high attrition rate at the initial few years as many people are unable to handle the long working hours of audit. Hence there is greater chance for promotion. With Singapore on track to becoming a global accountancy hub, I can only foresee these chances to increase. For a job solely on audit, a secondary degree in business should be pursued mainly for individual interests and not for career progression because auditing is a very technical job so being highly proficient in the field of accountancy will be more important than having a second degree. That said, while the knowledge gained in business might not translate to significantly higher incomes, the skills learnt can be easily transferred to your working life especially up the career ladder when you enter management roles. Business gives you the macro view of how an organisation runs so and these are some of the useful perspectives that you will gain, not so much the business content that you study. Furthermore, there are many business majors such as finance, marketing, HR, etc and graduates work in different industries so you can't directly compare accountancy with business per se. Perhaps it would be better to compare it to the banking and finance majors, but we don't have sufficient data regarding starting salaries and career progressions for specific majors. To sum it up, a DDP will give you added knowledge and greater exposure to the different fields of study which is definitely good to have. However, it doesn't give you much of a headstart, so take it only if it interests you and you wish to gain more knowledge about other fields of business. And given that the DDP is a four year programme which is exactly the same as NUS' single degree, I'd go with the greater exposure to business majors than do an honours thesis on accounting.

Last edited by zacxy; 04-17-2015 at 04:30 PM.
zacxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #20
devastated

do you know anyone who knows what the top 10% of NUS earns? i dont understand why only the top 10% in DDP earns so much lol, while the rest does decent but not as well.

im having such troubles because if NUS and NTU are equally comparable in other factors, my obvious choice would be to go to NTU.
Is it much easier to get a hall in NTU? I live really far away, and NTU always seem to be the more inaccessible one from what i hear from the grapevine. NUS also has more overseas exchange opportunities for their biz school, am i right to say that? (Someone clarify please!)
Lastly, the campus/hostel of NUS is srsly nicer. but i might have to reconsider that if it's easier to get a hostel in NTU. (Any insiders lurking around here to help?)

is there a reason why NUS's MBA is better than NBS's MBA even though everyone says NBS is better?