BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #21
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastated View Post
I have been told that the salaries of accountants increase at a much much faster rate than their business counterparts, this part you agree?

I was wondering if the same situation applies for DDP holders. Ofcourse connections can help anyone scale the ladder quickly, but there are more factors than connections alone, such as their possible career pathways and whatnot, and how quickly on average they can move between the different positions.

Id leave out SMU since this tread is comparing between NTU and NUS solely, i assume the tread owner has not applied to SMU (Same here)
most accountants are in Audit, these people do get huge raises over the years as they do work crazy long hours. I have 2-3 friends who switch from Audit to Teaching! after 3yrs they had enough! they want a work-life (love/romance) balance and refuse to work from 9am to 4am in the morning over the peak season. friends who stayed often get to become manager in as little as 5yrs of experience.

there are more factors than connections, but connections is the Fastest way to get u up there. if U are a good worker which manager wanna promote u? if I were to promo u to my level then who will be doing the job if there is no one groom below to replace u? U have to think like a manager, at the end of the day he wants to see job done and be able to report to upper management he is a great manager. A manager like yourself want to move up. Not many manager cares about his men career progression.

Quote:
im having such troubles because if NUS and NTU are equally comparable in other factors, my obvious choice would be to go to NTU.
Is it much easier to get a hall in NTU? I live really far away, and NTU always seem to be the more inaccessible one from what i hear from the grapevine. NUS also has more overseas exchange opportunities for their biz school, am i right to say that? (Someone clarify please!)
Lastly, the campus/hostel of NUS is srsly nicer. but i might have to reconsider that if it's easier to get a hostel in NTU. (Any insiders lurking around here to help?)

is there a reason why NUS's MBA is better than NBS's MBA even though everyone says NBS is better?
devastated, U really devastated.
dont select a uni for how much can it make and wondering how much top 10% makes. Bigger qns to yourself is are U going to in that 10%? or will be the outlier?
spending time being so overly concern with how much these historical data is not going to help u much, they are not a accurate representation of what U can make when U grad and how much U will be making in 10yrs time! if your time is spend networking and working on what it takes to get u there makes alot of sense to me. how to enjoy Uni life and knowing the right ppl to get u there makes sense.

have U heard about the story a indian king died of a arrow wound as he refuse to get treated but insisit on learning who shot the arrow, who made the arrow, how the arrow and bow is made, where is the shooter hiding, what kind of wood arrow is made, how the tree is grown etc etc...

regarding overseas exchange its a good learning experience but I have to see the intangibles turning into fruition. If U are say top Uni for exchange and transferring over to grad with a name brand Uni selecting the Uni is important. I have not seen many doing that, I only come across a handful who did that. Other than that, going to a top Uni of exchange means little. Not even a joint Masters with a Ivy Uni helps with career growth, to employers its still a local Masters and not a true Ivy degree.

not sure where u get the info on everyone is saying NBS is better than NUS MBA. my social circle is telling me no diff, many who attain better compensation and growth left for china/HK. Many claims no diff in career progression. it doesn't surprise me as even in states my friend grad 6mth ago with a UCLA-Anderson MBA is still job hunting.

Last edited by patryn33; 04-17-2015 at 10:13 PM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #22
legendary

legendary has a neutral reputation

Patryn33 has just summed up everything one needs to know about "scaling the corporate ladder", and what happens to most accountancy students who go to audit.

For everyone's info, staying in audit beyond two years will see your salary jump exponentially, but working hours as well. One must also bear in mind that it gets harder to secure a subsequent job with comparable salary, if you're expecting to switch out to a job with Big Four audit manager-level pay.

Quote:
i dont understand why only the top 10% in DDP earns so much lol, while the rest does decent but not as well.
Maybe because the top jobs pay really well, while most of the rest are just standard. Not that much of an in-between, really.
legendary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #23
devastated

devastated has a neutral reputation

lol I'm concerned over the disproportionately high salaries not because i want more money, but because im analyzing the accuracy of their data. Having an average of 8k for fresh grad salary = inaccurate average salary, since it will tilt the scale up. If NUS has the same, then i can make a fair comparison between the avg of NUS and avg of NTU.

If not, then i really wonder what makes the top 10% of NTU's DDP so special...
devastated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #24
legendary

legendary has a neutral reputation

Actually, many of the top 10% of each DDP cohort are also in the top 10% of the overall NTU business school cohort. This is just in terms of grades, obviously. The graduates I know with disproportionately-high salaries tend to have been in that top 10% during their time in the school.

It isn't a stretch that the top 10% of a DDP cohort is earning an average of 8k, since each DDP year/batch usually comprises less than a hundred people. It is also worth noting that almost all of those so-called high flyers did several internships with prestigious or prominent banks, investment or advisory firms during their time as an undergraduate. A small handful received a permanent conversion offer.
legendary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #25
zacxy

zacxy has a neutral reputation

For the finance industry, average salaries are too inaccurate due to the huge range of salaries. How about comparing median salaries instead?
zacxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #26
Eos

Eos has a neutral reputation

As mentioned in an earlier post I am in the same predicament/dilemma (can't decide). Was planning to decide base on scholarship but both universities have offered me scholarships of similar value :/ Has anyone in a similar situation decided yet? If so why would you choose one program over the other?
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:21 PM   #27
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
lol I'm concerned over the disproportionately high salaries not because i want more money, but because im analyzing the accuracy of their data. Having an average of 8k for fresh grad salary = inaccurate average salary, since it will tilt the scale up. If NUS has the same, then i can make a fair comparison between the avg of NUS and avg of NTU.

If not, then i really wonder what makes the top 10% of NTU's DDP so special...
we all know statistics, how would Avg work well if the range are huge!
Median wouldn't work well if the numbers are over the place, we have to assume it follows a good normal distribution.

How are analyzing the accuracy of data? its as accurate as what they are getting back. or U saying U looking at the data presented has a 95% confidence interval?
to start U don't look at the numbers presented and see if it makes sense.
U look at the sample size. How many graduated and the survey data collection. compute the confidence level. Std Deviation etc.

Last edited by patryn33; 04-22-2015 at 10:26 PM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #28
zacxy

zacxy has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos View Post
As mentioned in an earlier post I am in the same predicament/dilemma (can't decide). Was planning to decide base on scholarship but both universities have offered me scholarships of similar value :/ Has anyone in a similar situation decided yet? If so why would you choose one program over the other?
Congrats on getting your scholarships! If I were you, I would choose my university based on its curriculum, recognition, opportunities, environment and location - in this order. Since you applied for the DDP, the advantage NTU has for its shorter single degree programmes doesn't apply here.

Comparing the curricula of both courses, I would say the DDP is definitely more more rigorous because you take an additional 10-11 business modules and you're allowed to choose a major. However, you have to decide if studying the extra business modules will really help you if you're aspiring to be an accountant. Then again, if you aren't sure if you really want to be an accountant, you can just switch to BizAd instead of taking a double degree anyway.
Recognition of both business schools are equally strong locally and internationally.
NUS seems to have the edge in terms of providing their students with overseas exposure and internship opportunities BUT since you will be a scholar in either of the universities, this may not apply to you because scholars have priority for such programmes.
With regards to environment and location, my observation is that while both NUS and NTU have diverse student bodies, NUS tends to attract international students who come from English-speaking countries, while NTU's international students come mainly from Asia and Sweden. Apart from this, another observation is that there is a higher proportion of poly students in NTU compared to NUS. This is just my observation so please take it with a pinch of salt.
Finally, location wise, unless you stay in the far West, NTU will definitely be less accessible than NUS. I'm not sure if your scholarship includes a guaranteed hall stay for 4 years but if not, this point could easily make or break your decision. In short, NUS definitely has the edge over NTU in most areas. It is better located, has greater international recognition and has a better career office. Hence, while NTU's shorter 3 year single degree programmes offer value for money and time-savings, the double degree doesn't give you that advantage which is why I feel that NUS might be a better choice. Last but not least, do take note than NUS' accountancy cohort is about 200, or a third of NTU's 600-odd students. Being in a smaller cohort could be a good and a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. I hope you'll make the right choice!

Last edited by zacxy; 04-23-2015 at 02:48 PM.
zacxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #29
Eos

Eos has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacxy View Post
Congrats on getting your scholarships! If I were you, I would choose my university based on its curriculum, recognition, opportunities, environment and location - in this order. Since you applied for the DDP, the advantage NTU has for its shorter single degree programmes doesn't apply here.

Comparing the curricula of both courses, I would say the DDP is definitely more more rigorous because you take an additional 10-11 business modules and you're allowed to choose a major. However, you have to decide if studying the extra business modules will really help you if you're aspiring to be an accountant. Then again, if you aren't sure if you really want to be an accountant, you can just switch to BizAd instead of taking a double degree anyway.
Recognition of both business schools are equally strong locally and internationally.
NUS seems to have the edge in terms of providing their students with overseas exposure and internship opportunities BUT since you will be a scholar in either of the universities, this may not apply to you because scholars have priority for such programmes.
With regards to environment and location, my observation is that while both NUS and NTU have diverse student bodies, NUS tends to attract international students who come from English-speaking countries, while NTU's international students come mainly from Asia and Sweden. Apart from this, another observation is that there is a higher proportion of poly students in NTU compared to NUS. This is just my observation so please take it with a pinch of salt.
Finally, location wise, unless you stay in the far West, NTU will definitely be less accessible than NUS. I'm not sure if your scholarship includes a guaranteed hall stay for 4 years but if not, this point could easily make or break your decision. In short, NUS definitely has the edge over NTU in most areas. It is better located, has greater international recognition and has a better career office. Hence, while NTU's shorter 3 year single degree programmes offer value for money and time-savings, the double degree doesn't give you that advantage which is why I feel that NUS might be a better choice. Last but not least, do take note than NUS' accountancy cohort is about 200, or a third of NTU's 600-odd students. Being in a smaller cohort could be a good and a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. I hope you'll make the right choice!
Thanks so much for the insightful reply! I don't think I'll have priority for overseas programmes in ntu as I only got the college scholarship (screwed up my interview). One of the field I would like to try out is financial consultancy, do you know which university would give me more opportunities to secure relevant internships?

I would also like to know whether I need to keep any of my a level notes (PCME) for these courses. All advice are appreciated thanks
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote