BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Jasmine855

Jasmine855 has a neutral reputation
Default NUS Hostel. Which one should I stay in?

I am thinking of halls and student residence i.e PGP as I am not very interested in the academic program offered by residential college (students can stay for 2nd year without needing to earn points seems appealing tho ><)

A bit about myself:
-I am not a very outgoing/active person but in uni I would like to break out of my shell and expand my social circle.
-I am likely to join Red Cross &kpop dance (my interests)
- However I don't like it when I feel forced to do something I am not interested in, especially when my schedule is tight. That means if I were to be in hall, the points system might be quite stressful for me :/
- I hope to stay in hostel throughout my 4 years in uni as I dont wish to waste time travelling to and from school.

I heard that it's easier to get into hall in 1st year, so I guess i'll try it? If I don't get enough points to stay for the next year, can I move to PGP? Is it easy for 2/3/4th year student to get into PGP?

Regarding hall points, which are the halls that require less points? I heard that raffles hall is one of those with less demanding level of activities... If thats true I will probably aim for it.

I really need some advice and your help is deeply appreciated!!
Jasmine855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
jedrek

jedrek has a neutral reputation

I am probably not qualified to answer this as I am matriculating this yr,but I will try since the forum is quite dead.

I applied to Utown RC for the academic programme,community,saving time from traveling around and considering PGP if I don't get admitted into RC.

Oh,I am in NUS Red Cross.I think it's an amazing organisation with a good balance of semester,annual and regular volunteering projects.Personally,I was involved in a semester project for the NUS community,7 Days of Happiness and I am looking forward to doing more semester or annual projects with Red Cross.

However,if you are interested in regular community service,I will strongly recommend the community service club in NUS.I am volunteering in the community service club in NUS every Saturday,except NUS exam periods. It's pretty flexible as you can come as and when you are available.

One of the main reasons why I chose RC over hall,is due to the pressure in halls to engage in activities,even if you have a tight schedule.In hall,you secure your stay through numerous commitments.(I had a friend with 3-4 CCAs,who managed to secure her stay for the second yr and it definitely takes a huge toll on personal time,she decided to opt out the following yr)

You are almost guaranteed a hall for the first yr,but the hall you stay in,is based on your choice of preference and demand.I have a friend who applied for KR/Sheares and KE7 as the second choice. Due to demand,he was shortlisted for the less demanding KE7.

I feel KE7 and PGP are the easiest to play the hall points game with.(PGP requires points to stay,last I checked during the NUS open house) You can also expect the community to be less sociable than the other halls.

RH is definitely not the least. I feel that the least,should be PGP since it's more expensive to stay at and isn't close to most faculties except FoS,medicine and dentistry. The same applies to KE7,except it's cheaper.On the other hand,RH is more centralised and students can travel around much easily.

I do not know about the movement to PGP,but I do know of seniors who applied for RC in second yr and got accepted in for a one yr stay and later on,stay for an additional yr with their capstone project in the third yr.

If you are entirely fixed in staying for four yrs,it's going to be tough to secure your stay,without expecting some form of disruption to your personal time since you are joining CCAs based on interests(which is good) and less on accomplishments and positions.I know of some who thrive in numerous CCAs as they feel that the purpose of their uni journey is not centred on grades but on holistic education. However,given the paper-driven society,I will think twice about jeopardising my grades in joining CCAs I have little to no interest in for the sake of staying in campus.

Last edited by jedrek; 04-27-2017 at 10:08 AM.
jedrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
Jasmine855

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I think I've missed out certain key info as I didn't manage to go for hall tours or talks on residential college.

I have thought about it and I would want to give hall life a try. However, I am worried about my chances of securing PGP in case I don't qualify for my hall stay in subsequent years. How can I earn points for PGP? Is it by joining school CCAs?
I might also consider applying for RC. Honestly I don't have a clear idea of the focus in each college, like they say RC4 is about system thinking? tembusu global leader etc

Just curious, how did you joing NUS red cross before matriculation?
Old 04-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Jasmine855

By any chance do you know if all the 6 halls have pre-camps? I only know that kent ridge, raffles and sheares have... I will probably go for one to know more about hall life
Old 04-29-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
jedrek

As I have gotten my NUS offer 2yrs back,I went to this yr Open Day,solely for the experience of touring the RCs and visiting hall booths.

Though I only visited the booth for KE7 because it's closer to my future faculty and KR because I thought that my biz school friend wanted to stay in hall in the future.

And also PGP House,a new initiative set up by PGP,which has a 1yr programme,where you clear 2 compulsory general education modules at PGP itself,without the need to travel to the faculty.It's my back-up plan,if I don't get to Utown RC as it's quite close to my faculty and saves up on my traveling time.

I don't know about the system of applying inter-hall or for PGP. All I know is staying in hall is really competitive,you got to commit to multiple(3-4) CCAs or take up a leadership role in one or two CCAs,which has the unintended effect of taking up your personal time for studies.And the culture of late night activities and events whole semester round,can be distracting as well,if you are not disciplined.As for PGP and KE7,I think it isn't as tough to secure the points required to stay on,as the former is an "expensive" version of hall and the latter is frequent by med/science students who probably don't give as much attention to concentrating on social life/cca,as compared to the biz/arts students. My biz friend in KE7,told me the number of biz students in KE7,could be counted by his 2 hands :P

The way you earn points in PGP is similar to hall,I guess.Participate in activities,etc.

I think the main trade-off for RC,is the selectivity of your general education modules.I mentioned above that you are required to clear your general education or university requirements of 5 modules.In RC and hall,you take 1 compulsory common module. For RC,the remaining 4,is restricted to a basket of modules you can choose from.The plus point is that you don't have to fight for your modules with bidding points.(In NUS,you fight for elective modules) You also get a free S/U for the first module you take in RC and all RC modules are non-exam based,so it's like seminar style and continuous assessment.

As for hall,you will take another compulsory module and the remaining 3,you have to bid for it.

RC automatically secures 2yrs stay without the need to do any activities,except to clear your general education or university requirement of 5 chosen modules.For the 3rd yr,you might have to do one more module(which counts to your graduation requirements) and have significant CCA contributions. For yr 4,I am unsure about that :P

I applied for RC4. It's theme is systems thinking, something like conceptual thinking and drawing of visual diagrams to solve issues revolving around healthcare,food and family. For Capt,it's community engagement,if you are into community work and looking for like-minded individuals who share your passion,it's the place for you. For Tembusu,it's possibilities.It's a lot to do with diversity.It's a place where people with different thinking styles come together to work towards a common idea. I find the theme for Tembusu,quite confusing till today. For Rc,you have to write an essay and attend an interview. Of which,Tembusu has the most formal interview,where you will be asked to read a passage and share your opinions on it. Whereas the other 2,have more informal interviews to get to know you personally,like a chit-chat session.

As I just finished NS and also signed up for Pre-uni modules for Returning NSmen, I thought it was interesting to join some NUS CCAs for the current semester. I emailed a few community based CCAs,from NUS volunteer action committee to NUS community service club to Red Cross. I joined the community service club and red cross. As Red Cross have a number of ad-hoc projects,I was shortlisted into 7 Days of Happiness Project Under Red Cross due to a vacancy available. I also ended up taking up my basic first aid course during that period. I think there's a CCA fair in August,so you might be able to find out more about Red Cross.

I think all of the halls should have pre-camps.I know KE7 has a pre-camp in June,where you can attend to learn more about the hall,but you don't necessarily have to apply for the hall.
I think you should choose one that you really want to go for,out of the many available.Since,most of pre-camps are in June and the orientation camp for the halls are in July. Exposure>Apply>Orientation camp 1 month later

Last edited by jedrek; 04-29-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
Jasmine855

Hey jedrek, thank you for telling me so many things that I wasn't aware of.

I will be studying in the faculty of science, so KEVII will be the nearest hall for me~

Regarding RCs, so do you mean that students there are only allowed to take certain GE modules that is of their college's focus?
And what about ridge view RC? I am confused of why it is separate from the other 3 RCs...Is it's programme completely diff from UTCP?

Anw, the deadline for application to RC is over, I can only think about it next year...

For hall exposure camps, I found out that all 6halls are organising it except KEVII ><
I have asked their fb page still awaiting reply. I will probably go for KEVII one. I also heard that going for their pre-camps will give u higher chance of getting it, is that true?
Old 05-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #7
jedrek

Something within those lines.You take college modules based on its theme like junior/senior seminars and some of the modules are common ones like ideas/exposure. The plus point is that you can save your bidding points,take modules without final exams and the first module you take is a free S/U,without using your S/U counts.

RVRC has a different theme from the Utown RCs and it's emphasis is mainly on developing students who are looking towards environment and preparation for the workplace. I initially applied RVRC and got the offer,but rejected it,due to personal conflicts with the academic programme offered by RVRC. The modules you take there are also different~

There is a second application period for Utown RCs from 15 May to 5 June.
You can check the details over here. http://utown.nus.edu.sg/apply/residential-colleges/

Ah,KEVll is actually a rather passive hall amongst the other halls out there. If I am not wrong,it states on their website,that there's open hall experience in June.
http://www.kevii.nus.edu.sg/hall-lif...of-events.html
If you scroll down their facebook page back to early june 2016,you will actually see pictures of the open hall exposure.I don't know about pre-camps giving you a higher chance,but i know the administration will try to place science students in KEVll if they express interest for it and since,KEVll isn't of high demand,most people get in there.

Oh,you are in faculty of science,perhaps I can link up with you since I am also in FoS, just drop me a PM,if you are comfortable :P
Old 05-05-2017, 12:21 AM   #8
Jasmine855

I've sent you a friend request

Any idea why some halls are in such a high demand? compared to KE7 for example... Is it about the living environment/food? Or the prestige (idk)
Old 05-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
jedrek

Using this website as reference:
https://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/c...some_light_on/

KE7 has bad food,can't opt out of meal plan and you have to climb stairs.And the culture there,is mainly for those who are into studying. The infrastructure is quite old too,visited there once. I guess KE7 doesn't have a really good reputation.

This article provides an alternative view based on a resident residing in KE7 though.She admits the food isn't so good in KE7 and sometimes,she preps her own meals. She also explain about hall points,that you need 4 CCAs,with a commitment level of 4 days a week,lasting on average 3hrs to secure your stay for second yr.Good read if you are considering of staying in KE7.

http://liciasecret.blogspot.sg/2016/...y-in-hall.html

Eusoff/Temasek are sports halls and KR is known for it's arts activities.So,it draws a target audience and there are newer,compared to KE7.

For me,it's either RC or PGP,as I can't envision myself staying in halls.Even if I do stay in hall,I will probably not secure the second yr stay.I participated in my CCAs in NUS when I am not studying 5 modules and 2 CCAs a week is more than enough for me. Can't imagine having more than 2 CCAs a week,how draining it will be.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
Jasmine855

I might go to another hall other than KE7 for the sake of better foodxD
just to have an experience but not intending to stay for second year
, since I'm also not confident of handling so many CCAs, cuz I'll be studying pharmacy and I heard it's 8-6pm every day?:/

Upon research it seems that RCs has better food though the meal plan is ex Should I apply for an RC and decide between hall and rc in June, after I know more about hall life thtrough their exposure camp?