BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
algoh

algoh has a neutral reputation
Default NUS Faculty of Engineering

Hi all

I would like to find out the ranking of the different fields of engineering in the NUS Engineering Faculty. Is Chemical Eng the best? And is Electrical and Computer Eng the place where students go when they couldnt qualify for the better ones?

Also, are the students in Engineering mostly PRCs and Indians?

Thanks!
algoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

i can't tell what you really wanna do in life. let's answer that question first before we discuss what field of engineering you should go to
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
algoh

algoh has a neutral reputation

currently i am deciding among mechanical, material science and electrical eng.

i like mechanical because it is about building things from scratch and enabling things to work. but some may say that girls are disadvantaged as it involves heavy work physically.

for materials, i feel that it's more towards chemistry (i prefer physics more), more theoretical and somewhat less exciting. and career prospects wise, it's basically R&D, isn't it?

as for electrical, i do not think i am proficient in it. however, i have applied for the DSTA scholarships and Electrical eng seems to be the one that offers the widest flexibility in job selections.

When asked about what i really wanna do in life, I would say as flexible and as different as possible, and definitely not just stuck in the R&D field. I'm interested in teaching as well, sadly, MOE does not offer scholarships for eng. I think the study of eng offers somewhat the same skills. it is just the knowledge that matters. but i don't really -exactly- know the career prospects that each field offers, even after reading up on them. i do hope to work in DSTA after graduation though.

thanks for the reply by the way
algoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
AvlynCriss

AvlynCriss has a neutral reputation

Hmm....I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.

I already got an offer for double degree biz and econs in smu, but I'm also going to nus's double degree interview for biz and eng. Out of all the types of engineering I want to do chemical engineering.

Anyone out there can tell me more about chemical engineering? Like is it really as tough as people make it out to be?
AvlynCriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
ivxrzexc

ivxrzexc has a neutral reputation

i've applied for NUS double degree: Engineering & Business Administration (Accountancy) and havent got any news (not even single degree offer) from NUS.

are interviews compulsory for admission to the double degree programmes? since i didnt receive any calls from nus so i'm nt sure if i still have a chance of entering the double degree programme. anyone here can enlighten me? thanks in advance.
ivxrzexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
AvlynCriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivxrzexc View Post
i've applied for NUS double degree: Engineering & Business Administration (Accountancy) and havent got any news (not even single degree offer) from NUS.

are interviews compulsory for admission to the double degree programmes? since i didnt receive any calls from nus so i'm nt sure if i still have a chance of entering the double degree programme. anyone here can enlighten me? thanks in advance.
You're in the same boat I am.

I applied for Business and Engineering, got the interview, but haven't got a word from them or a letter for even a single degree offer.

However, I heard that interviews are ongoing or just being concluded, and the letters should be out in this month - maybe around mid-may to end of may.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
Skinzzz

Skinzzz has a neutral reputation

i applied to double degree (biz/chem eng) as well. juz got the admission letter today. but no news abt the biz scholarship which they interviewed me for... anyone hav any news on tt??

anyway i was too busy to apply for the uni lvl scholarship during the application period. anyone noe if its still possible for me to apply it maybe like nxt yr or nxt nxt yr???
Skinzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
AvlynCriss

Just received offer from NUS for eng and biz through the joint acceptance website. Finally, I was getting worried they lost my application.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #9
calcium_rot

calcium_rot has a neutral reputation
Default worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvlynCriss View Post
Just received offer from NUS for eng and biz through the joint acceptance website. Finally, I was getting worried they lost my application.

U mean u receive the online offer from NUS first before u got ur letter? I still haven received any letter nor any online offer. I am so worried.
calcium_rot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
AvlynCriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcium_rot View Post
U mean u receive the online offer from NUS first before u got ur letter? I still haven received any letter nor any online offer. I am so worried.
I checked the online joint acceptance website because it's faster than checking the mail everyday, and nus sends their package rather late.

As long as you have not received a rejection letter, you're fine. It takes time to process all the applications, and sometimes, they are waiting for people to reject their offers and etc. Just hang in there. Quite a few people haven't got their offers.