BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
wilsontanws
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10
wilsontanws has a neutral reputation
Default NUS, NTU, SMU Business Course

Hey guys out there!

Does anybody have any idea about the difference between the 3 university business courses?

How does the various modules for the respective uni varies?

Do we only declare our major after year 1 for all 3 uni?

Appreciate your comments!
wilsontanws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
wilsontanws
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10
wilsontanws has a neutral reputation
Default NTU,NUS,SMU Business Courses

Similarly to my other thread, i want to find out the differences between the business courses offered in all 3 uni.

For business courses, we only declare our major only after our first year in all 3 uni, am i right? Or is it true for some uni?

Lastly, does anybody know what does Human Resource(HR) does in a company?

If i remember correctly, according to ranking, NTU has a higher ranker compared to NUS. Is that correct?

Advice needed. Thanks.
wilsontanws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
xumbie
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hougang, Singapore
Posts: 19
xumbie has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsontanws View Post
Similarly to my other thread, i want to find out the differences between the business courses offered in all 3 uni.

For business courses, we only declare our major only after our first year in all 3 uni, am i right? Or is it true for some uni?

Lastly, does anybody know what does Human Resource(HR) does in a company?

If i remember correctly, according to ranking, NTU has a higher ranker compared to NUS. Is that correct?

Advice needed. Thanks.
HR - basically payroll, trainings, strategic planning such as how to retain talent, recruit talents (such as scholars for their scholarships). Also to communicate with the staff with various company policies.. etc etc
xumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
eva
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5
eva has a neutral reputation
Default

For Nus, biz/accountancy course is 4 years while that in ntu is 3 years.

Does anyone know whether that means nus grads may get more exemptions in professional accountancy exams than ntu grads cos they study more? Or do nus grads just study more biz stuff that's not very relevant to the exams.
eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
GSC1989
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 408
GSC1989 has a neutral reputation
Default

They do not get more exemptions. However, would advise you to view the additional workload as learning additional stuff on top of the accounting-specific domain knowledge rather than "biz stuff that is not relevant to the exams".
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Alex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 120
Alex has a neutral reputation
Default

I sent your question to all 3 Unis. The best reply I got so far.


Global status (unless otherwise specified)
Financial Times MBA Rankings NUS:35th NTU:24th SMU:Not ranked

Financial Times EMBA Rankings NUS:20th NTU: Not ranked SMU: Not ranked

QS Recruiters Survey (Asia Pacific) NUS:3rd NTU:10th SMU:40th

Economist Intelligence Unit NUS:89th NTU:81st SMU: Not ranked

U of Texas Dallas on Research Output NUS:47th NTU:75th SMU:89th

Eduniversal, France (Singapore) NUS:1st NTU:3rd SMU:4th

Beyond Grey Pinstripes NUS:88th NTU: Not ranked SMU: Not ranked
AACSB Accreditation NUS: Accredited NTU: Accredited SMU: Not accredited

EQUIS Accreditation NUS: In process NTU: Accredited SMU: Not accredited

ACRA for Accountancy (Singapore) NUS: Accredited NTU: Accredited SMU: Accredited

Times Higher Education Supplement NUS:30 (entire NUS) NTU:77 (entire NTU) SMU: Not ranked
________
Silver surfer vaporiser

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
GSC1989
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 408
GSC1989 has a neutral reputation
Default

Duration of courses

The duration of the honours programmes for the business courses for the abovementioned universities are:

NUS: 4 years. (Non-direct honours where you have to be invited to do your honours year based on results)

NTU: 3 years (Direct honours, meaning it is a 3 year direct honours course in which you graduate with honours if your grades make the cut at point of graduation.)

SMU: American honours system (Considered equivalent to direct honours, albeit with different naming: Cum Laude, Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude). 3 to 3.5 years depending on modules you are willing to overload.

Accreditation - Alex here has taken the trouble to send enquiries to all three universities , that's very helpful indeed, you could use it as a rough guide. However when factoring in accreditations, keep in mind that business courses are not specialized in general - what do you intend to work in the future? The accreditations may or may not be relevant to the job scope you have in mind.

Recognizability

Nanyang Business School, among the three university business faculties is by far considered to be the most established and popular business school in Singapore. They rank #1 in terms of business schools in SE Asia, and third in Asia overall.

Singapore Management University is not yet ranked as it is a new university, but many local employers have the opinion that SMU graduates are very out-spoken and eloquent people. This is due to their unique pedagogy (or else not so unique in time to come, but that's another story) and teaching.

In terms of international recognizability, should you decide to work overseas, people might favor the NUS BBA more. This is because to an overseas recruiter that does not know much about local education, the label 'National' in its name is often viewed as a sense of security when judging the quality of the degree.

Student profiles


SMU students are supposedly more vibrant/out-going due to the careful selection of students at the interview. (I wouldn't go as far as to claim it is a successful weeding process, however it is (was? ) one of the factors that helped SMU students to stand out).

Facilities are rather new as it is a rather new university. One worthy point to mention is that despite it being a management university, the academia is still rigorous - do not go into this course thinking that you would have more leisure time to laze around/slack compared to choosing the other two.

On the NTU side, It's no hidden secret that NBS admissions are extremely competitive. After all, despite SMU's recent success in its business graduates, many prospective students still prefer to take the safer route by choosing a more established faculty.

The amount of chinese-speaking (ahem cheena?) students in NTU seem to outnumber their counterparts in the other two universities. Not that I am implying anything of course, just thought I would throw up the point of demographics.

Flexibility of modules and declaring of majors

NUS B.B.A is a general business administration degree associated with no majors.

NTU and SMU however, give you the option of declaring a major. In other words, the certificate will specify explicitly the major name on the certificate.
This, is retrospect, can be seen as a huge advantage to choose NTU and SMU Business over the NUS B.B.A. It would also reflect better on the resume.

One point that may be of note for Nanyang Business School though, that the selection of the major is subject to streaming as well.

Flexibility to take up Second Majors

SMU seems to be the most flexible university in terms of offering double majors. In fact, the entire course structure is designed in such a way that it almost seems as though it is trying to encourage every student to take up a second major.

Other minor considerations

- Distance. The roads leading to NTU is often jammed most of the time and if you are living in the east, it is rather inaccessible as it is so far away. The area NTU is in is also rather desolated compared to NUS.

- Hall life. Ask your seniors about this.

- Based on statistics, NTU students are paid higher than NUS students. (EDIT: Might not be true, see post below)


Personal Bias

I favor NBS actually. ^-^

Last edited by GSC1989; 04-02-2009 at 07:16 PM.
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Alex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 120
Alex has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1989 View Post
Flexibility of modules and declaring of majors

NUS B.B.A is a general business administration degree associated with no majors.

NTU and SMU however, give you the option of declaring a major. In other words, the certificate will specify explicitly the major name on the certificate.
This, is retrospect, can be seen as a huge advantage to choose NTU and SMU Business over the NUS B.B.A. It would also reflect better on the resume.

One point that may be of note for Nanyang Business School though, that the selection of the major is subject to streaming as well.
I think you are wrong here.

http://bschool.nus.edu.sg/NUSBBA/Und...1/Default.aspx
The following Business School academic departments provide links for preclusions to the above general rules:

Accounting
Business Policy
Decision Sciences
Finance
Management & Organisation
Marketing


Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1989 View Post
Flexibility to take up Second Majors

SMU seems to be the most flexible university in terms of offering double majors. In fact, the entire course structure is designed in such a way that it almost seems as though it is trying to encourage every student to take up a second major.
I think you are wrong again here.
NUS and NTU has more DDP than SMU. In fact, NUS has foreign DDP which both NTU and SMU don't have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1989 View Post
Other minor considerations

- Based on statistics, NTU students are paid higher than NUS students.
I think this one, you again wrong... last year according to CNA report NUS highest paid among the 3...
________
Motorcycle tires

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
GSC1989
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 408
GSC1989 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
I think you are wrong again here.
NUS and NTU has more DDP than SMU. In fact, NUS has foreign DDP which both NTU and SMU don't have...
Indeed. That's why I mentioned Second Majors, not double degrees :P. There is a difference between double majors and double degrees.


Quote:
I think you are wrong here.

http://bschool.nus.edu.sg/NUSBBA/Und...1/Default.aspx
The following Business School academic departments provide links for preclusions to the above general rules:

Accounting
Business Policy
Decision Sciences
Finance
Management & Organisation
Marketing
It's quite stated that modules in the B.B.A can be taken to be specialized to certain tracks. I think the case in point for argument would be whether "specialization" is interpreted as a major. I don't think any of us is wrong unless it is implictly stated there.

http://bschool.nus.edu.sg/NUSBBA/Adm...0/Default.aspx


Quote:
I think this one, you again wrong... last year according to CNA report NUS highest paid among the 3...
Last year eh? It could be possible I was wrong then. Thanks for clarifying anyway.

Last edited by GSC1989; 04-02-2009 at 06:56 PM.
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
spencer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Posts: 221
spencer has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1989 View Post
Flexibility of modules and declaring of majors

NUS B.B.A is a general business administration degree associated with no majors.

NTU and SMU however, give you the option of declaring a major. In other words, the certificate will specify explicitly the major name on the certificate.
This, is retrospect, can be seen as a huge advantage to choose NTU and SMU Business over the NUS B.B.A. It would also reflect better on the resume.

One point that may be of note for Nanyang Business School though, that the selection of the major is subject to streaming as well.
Are you sure having a specialisation is good for a business degree?

All the top MBA programmes produce only MBAs, and not MBA (Finance) or MBA (Marketing). Only those second tier MBA schools need this MBA (specialisation) to help their graduates find jobs. The best MBA students from Columbia, Harvard and others become general managers/ general M&A.

By extension from MBA to BBA.
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.