BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
ssx

ssx has a neutral reputation
Default Campus life in NTU vs NUS vs SMU

Does anybody have any idea what the campus life is like for these three universities? I would like to know what their campus life is like, especially for the business schools.

I've heard a fair bit about NTU campus life and they don't seem to be positive. Not really sure if they are reliable, so please enlighten me!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
will1990

will1990 has a neutral reputation

Hello! I can't comment much on NTU (didn't see any exhibitions/booth) and SMU (only applicable to students from overseas)...

But I can say that NUS seems to have very vibrant hall life. Students can choose to stay in the apartment-style Prince George Park's Residence, where they can cook their own meals and experience an independent style of learning.

Or, they may stay in one of six halls of residence, where there are hall activities to participate. Certain halls have rather defined cultures like Temasek and Eusoff Hall (more sports-oriented).

Yep. =)
will1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
miles.205

miles.205 has a neutral reputation

Heard a lot of positive things from NUS students. The campus is suited to their needs and offer many opportunities (sports, music, additional courses, ...)
miles.205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
skizzer

skizzer has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssx View Post
Does anybody have any idea what the campus life is like for these three universities? I would like to know what their campus life is like, especially for the business schools.

I've heard a fair bit about NTU campus life and they don't seem to be positive. Not really sure if they are reliable, so please enlighten me!
ssx, u scared of the ntu killings ah
skizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Zyvroklsayt

Zyvroklsayt has a neutral reputation

Not sure about other universities, and whatever secondhand-comments I have heard I'd rather not share, as they may be biased.

NUS has a quite a diverse mix of campus life.

Halls:
KE7: Lots of med students here. My 30-year-old senpai from NUS long ago says they used to call KE7 people the Mountain Kings - sit on the mountain and mug all day.
Raffles Hall: The most steady hall. Not particularly sports- or arts-inclined, but has a good mixture of everything.
Eusoff and Temasek are the sports halls. Very heavily sports-inclined.
Sheares and KR are the more performing arts-inclined halls (according to what I hear.)

Residences:
Where most want-to-choose-my-own-CCA-or-pastimes people go to. In halls, you almost HAVE to join hall CCAs to get hall points to stay on. Residences require uni CCA points, as they don't have hall CCAs. So essentially you can join any uni CCA you like and get points, rather than join hall CCAs and see the same people every day (ok that was bad. :P )
PGP Resident (08/09, 09/10Sem1), Raffles Hall Resident (09/10Sem2)
Email: [email protected]

Rule 2 from The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates: "A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on."
Zyvroklsayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
ssx

ssx has a neutral reputation

Thanks for all the insights on NUS campus life!

I have quite a good impression of NUS and SMU so far, it's just NTU that I don't hear much about. It's either NTU peeps don't come here or they have nothing to say, imo. (My impression of SMU is still positive despite that recent post, competitions aren't bad)

Quote:
ssx, u scared of the ntu killings ah
Lol no, unless they progress to something worse in the future.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
redcurrant

redcurrant has a neutral reputation

i've been to both the nus and ntu hostels and i prefer the ntu ones...not sure about the campus life though.
redcurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 AM   #8
ginyiew

ginyiew has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1990 View Post
Hello! I can't comment much on NTU (didn't see any exhibitions/booth) and SMU (only applicable to students from overseas)...

But I can say that NUS seems to have very vibrant hall life. Students can choose to stay in the apartment-style Prince George Park's Residence, where they can cook their own meals and experience an independent style of learning.

Or, they may stay in one of six halls of residence, where there are hall activities to participate. Certain halls have rather defined cultures like Temasek and Eusoff Hall (more sports-oriented).

Yep. =)

For freshmen, they'll allocate the halls and rooms randomly, so u won't get to choose. anw, im not sure abt their hall life too but my friends said ntu ppl are more friendly and the hall life is more fun?
ginyiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
born2bfree1984

born2bfree1984 has a neutral reputation
Default how difficult is it to get into nus campus accomodation

are 1st year local students guaranteed a hall??
how difficult is itfor seniors to contd staying ???
does they give any concession for SPR who do not own a house in singapore?????
born2bfree1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
GSC1989

GSC1989 has a neutral reputation

This should help:

http://www.nus.edu.sg/osa/housing/acc/ug.html

Quote:
Local (Singaporean and Singapore PR) freshmen applying to the halls or residences will be allocated an accommodation based on availability and their history of Co-Curricular Activities (CCA) during their pre-university days.
NTU seems different on their hall implementation though. Keep in mind NUS guarantees foreign talents 1st and 2nd year accommodation. (
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/campus/Accommo...wStudents.aspx)

Quote:
New students are guaranteed admission when they apply by the closing date for hall applications and are randomly assigned a room in a hall.
From what I hear, to continue staying is quite difficult as it is more competitive every year. In other words, the cutoff points are increasing every year.
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote