BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:49 AM   #71
Newb

Newb has a neutral reputation

A bit irrelevant but what are the differences between a "School" and "Faculty" ?
Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #72
FloL

FloL has a neutral reputation
Default NTU versus SMU

Hi, Im considering NTU and SMU and would like to ask about their style of teaching. How different is SMU to NTU. SMU lecturers claim that class sizes are smaller but how big exactly is NTU classes compared to SMU's?and they also say that SMU's classes are more interactive as compared to NTU. how true is that?
FloL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #73
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb View Post
A bit irrelevant but what are the differences between a "School" and "Faculty" ?
No difference.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #74
layers

layers has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloL View Post
Hi, Im considering NTU and SMU and would like to ask about their style of teaching. How different is SMU to NTU. SMU lecturers claim that class sizes are smaller but how big exactly is NTU classes compared to SMU's?and they also say that SMU's classes are more interactive as compared to NTU. how true is that?
yep, thk 20 to 30% is for class participations

got do video, etc, project work, my friend say sometimes need to go 7 days a wk, holidays too
layers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #75
yl09

yl09 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by layers View Post
yep, thk 20 to 30% is for class participations

got do video, etc, project work, my friend say sometimes need to go 7 days a wk, holidays too
im in smu, and i've never seen a 30% class participation.

the average is probably 10-15%. a 20% is already considered high.

if there is a 30% class participation weightage, it is probably a special case for that module.

and the 7 days your friend is having probably only happens at the end of the semester when projects and presentations are due, and your friend probably has other cca committments etc as well.
yl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #76
genjitsuteki

genjitsuteki has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yl09 View Post
im in smu, and i've never seen a 30% class participation.

the average is probably 10-15%. a 20% is already considered high.

if there is a 30% class participation weightage, it is probably a special case for that module.

and the 7 days your friend is having probably only happens at the end of the semester when projects and presentations are due, and your friend probably has other cca committments etc as well.
I was under the impression that SMU doesn't really have a vibrant "hall life" but that there seem to be a lot of hardcore party people..
genjitsuteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #77
yl09

yl09 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjitsuteki View Post
I was under the impression that SMU doesn't really have a vibrant "hall life" but that there seem to be a lot of hardcore party people..
I am not sure why you quoted my post in your reply because I don't see the link.

Anyway most of the students who stay in the hall/hostel are exchange students or foreign students. Most local students don't see the point of paying for hostel on Prinsep Street when SMU is in Central. So that means SMU doesn't even have hall life.

And yes i have to agree that SMU students in general like to go clubbing etc. Not everyone does that, including me, though. I don't see the point of clubbing; imho its a waste of time and money.
yl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #78
ssx

ssx has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjitsuteki View Post
I had that impression too. Now that my female schoolmates are in SMU, they are telling me that SMU is hardcore on projects that takes up free time, not in other areas.

Other universities students seem to share their woes regarding projects too but it seems that SMU is the worst among all. Hmm.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #79
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

I would say that that is because other universities have fewer projects in comparison - SMU seems to emphasis on its group-work/project presentation oriented culture.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote