BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #1051
Cavaliere

Cavaliere has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonkick View Post
Hi all, i am an undergraduate student just enrolled in NUS Faculty of Science.

I was wondering if declaring a minor in public health or something along those lines will give me an advantage when I try for postgraduate dentistry or medicine after completing 3 years of the Bachelor of Science programme?

If so, can you guys recommend minors that i should take in order for me to go in this path of postgrad med/dentistry studies? Thanks so much!
The main factors that any postgrad programme will consider for admission are your class of honours and grades. You will need to undergo four years of studies to attain honours.

If your intention was to rush and do a 'pass' degree in three years, then it does not matter what minor you declare, no postgrad programme will accept you. If your degree is a 'pass' degree, any other applicant who has honours will rank higher than you for admission.

If you mentioned doing 3 years of studies because you have some kind of exemption (because you're from poly etc), then that might be a different situation. But the advice stands, focus on grades and class of honours. You have time to consult your professors about what minors to do after your first year.

Last edited by Cavaliere; 07-22-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Cavaliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #1052
cinnamonkick

cinnamonkick has a neutral reputation

Thank you Cavaliere for your reply! This makes me regret not studying in NTU though, as they have direct honours (3 years instead of 4 in NUS) Thinking of transferring now as NTU gave me an offer as well...

Sorry for being so clueless, but I have no idea which modules to take up to go according to my planned path. Bidding is soon and I'm still at a loss

Does anyone know which modules i should bid for? Please advise!
cinnamonkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #1053
Cavaliere

Cavaliere has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonkick View Post
Thank you Cavaliere for your reply! This makes me regret not studying in NTU though, as they have direct honours (3 years instead of 4 in NUS) Thinking of transferring now as NTU gave me an offer as well...

Sorry for being so clueless, but I have no idea which modules to take up to go according to my planned path. Bidding is soon and I'm still at a loss

Does anyone know which modules i should bid for? Please advise!
I've previously completed a postgrad programme at NUS (though in law instead of medicine). Reading your posts, I think you need to settle down and FOCUS. You need to be mature about what you need to do to accomplish your goals.

Stop thinking about transferring, it will not do you any good at this stage. Stop thinking about what might have been or what decisions you should have made differently. And most importantly, stop thinking about shortcuts and how to do things faster. These are bad habits and you must stop them right now.

You need to focus. To get to medical school as a long-term goal, you need to be an excellent student in the programme you are already in. Stop dreaming and start doing.
  • Instead of dreaming of the future, you should have attended camps to meet seniors who could have advised you on your current degree. You've missed your camp but there's an orientation day, go attend that (https://www.facebook.com/nusscienceoweek/). They can guide you on your first steps and tell you what modules to do.
  • Stop wondering about medical school and start making friends from science. No student succeeds in university without help.
  • Concentrate on doing well for your current degree. You need to start thinking about working hard for your first year in science. One year from now, if you're not in the top 25% of your cohort for science, you're probably not going to make it to medical school. Be humble, ask the right questions, study hard.
  • Be a committed student for science. You need your professors to like you in order to get good testimonials for your medical school application. A student that wants to get his/her current degree over with as fast as possible is not going to get good testimonials. Professors hate students who try to cut corners and they love students who are committed to their studies.
Cavaliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:14 AM   #1054
cinnamonkick

cinnamonkick has a neutral reputation
Red face

Hey Cavaliere, thanks for your reply once again!

Your words of advice really brought me back to reality. Guess my mind's wandered off to places during the 8-month break. I have just read up on CORS and the bidding system so I understand it now. Still unsure about which modules to take but I will sure clarify during orientation!

I will definitely work hard and keep your words in mind.

I sincerely appreciate your help in this matter
cinnamonkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #1055
LT98

LT98 has a neutral reputation
Unhappy Admissions for FoS?

Hey there, I was wondering if I still stand a chance for NUS FoS for AY17/18? I went for the DA interview in late April but today when I checked back at the applications portal it was still "Application Processing". Is it that I have already been rejected?
LT98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #1056
helloyanyan

helloyanyan has a neutral reputation
Default How to apply for second major in Data Analytics?

Hello, I am a year 1 student in FASS. Does anyone know how to apply for a second major in Data Analytics? And do I have to have a minimum CAP?

Thanks so much!
helloyanyan is offline   Reply With Quote