BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
twentythree

twentythree has a neutral reputation
Default NUS Faculty of Business

I am in my sophomore, going into my junior year, previously was from another local university before making the leap of faith and joining nus bschool. Just wana share my thoughts and my experience i was so blessed with and answer any questions you guys and girls might have.

5 modules, usually 5 group and/or individual projects, they can range from individual industrial journal based research projects or group projects that culminates in your presentation and report. over 16 hours of classes a week usually or more if ya in the usp program, which hones your critical and analytical abilities. lectures are only for foundation, level 1000 modules, but the beauty is that at times we have extremely brilliant faculty members sharing with all 300 rather than just limiting it to 40. its not cost effective to hire 10 equals to do it seminar style especially when it is more effective doing foundation modules lecture styled. Subsequently more close quarters interaction is done at tutorials. Level 3000 or higher level modules are taught seminar style in every world class bschool, including all 3 of our local ones. its not the easiest program in singapore, you have to take the longest to graduate with honors, you have to take the most electives, core modules and the workload is without doubt different in scope and scale. even our accountancy program is almost like a double degree in a single program. so why so tough? its training you to be up for it in the real world, not almost, but ready to hit the ground running and get the experience clocked in. the most fabled ivy leagues, bschools in eu and us have similar rigor and they dont shorten their programs or remove items, they demand the very best because everyone, nus, berkeley, oxbridge, wharton all have a reputation to uphold. heck the employers recognise the value of a nus degree, honors or not, when the non-honors students can get paid more and more get employed full time than their peers who might have honors from other programs. So reputation, rigor and intensity, definitely check.

internships wise, the bschool's fabled career services office whips the freshmen into shape as they go through their 3-4 years, from dress sense to speech to interview techniques and assessment centres (similar to what you guys who went through the nus bschool scholarship interviews) i myself was privileged to have been with nike singapore and south east asia at the advertising and digital marketing division. Yes i met the national team footballers, australian team when they were her, celebrities. Beyond that as an intern i was given the responsibility to come up with my very own project and campaign. over 1,500 freshmen were in the program and found out first hand what nike is all about.

I also spent summer in Beijing, China at a leading investment bank and private equity firm on an approximately half a billi listing in the ecm division. doing research, due diligence work on deals and actual due diligence at sites. The experience of meeting the ministry party secretary and business titans in beijing was priceless as you would imagine. All these with the support and guidance from our career services office. career development - check

well all that curricula and no fun makes life a bore arnt it. But hang on, i was also elected as the project director of a freshman orientation camp in bschool, over 100 organizing team members, 200 freshmen, BlackBerry, Nike, L'Oreal, Reds and couple other organizations as the camp's sponsors and partners, it was something truly unforgettable for those in the class of 2008. The best part was, during the pre-camp briefing we had joanne peh coming over to school for as part of the nike orientation around campus. The finale saw everyone enjoying themselves at timbre at the arts house. yes all these by students. - school life, definitely check, even the calibre and scale and prestige of their student government is unparalleled from what my other peers tell me.

Hang on, there is still somemore indelible experiences that nus bschool has afforded me. very importantly, upholding our school's fabled history and reputation as the very best case school from singapore, seniors preceding us has won numerous events from usc marshall, copenhagen, hong kong science and technology, mcgill, the fabled L'Oreal local and international champions. together with a team of 3 other school mates, with zero international experience but rigorous training by our mentor and excellent faculty advisor, we came in 2nd in mcgill in 2009 <www.mmicc.org/2009> the weekends spent and the time preparing was immensely worth it in the end. It sort of shocked us that all the power house bschools (haas, marshall, copenhagen, auckland, mcgill etc.) all are wary of the reputation and calibre of nus teams, which is typical and very normal considering the mcgill teams coming here have placed or won 5 out of 9 times in the history of the competition! It was truly an eye opener and made me realise how we singaporeans tend to put ourselves down and we fail to see our strengths and how we are really, not very different from the rest. - more international exposure, check.

so lastly, one of the most dynamic and demanding projects undertaken was something completely voluntary and selected for the very best. In collaboration with KPMG and The Business Times, nus bschool was the only exclusive partner who sent out teams of 3-4 students to Singapore's top 50 SMEs across various sectors to conduct research, diagnostic consulting and subsequently come back with their findings and research to do a presentation to the ceo/director of the company. i could clearly remember working on the project on the flight on my way to canada in that same semester, the sheer amount of work put in to ensuring our research are not just academic and works on paper only. it has got to be accurate, real and reflective of the organization. fluff, what fluff? any crap that is acceptable else where obviously cannot hold water in the real world. beyond academics it was the real world, not just preparing for it, but already doing it and trying to do it to the best of our abilities. - not just preparing for the real world, but already in the midst of the real world - check

4 semesters on, despite being a year behind my peers, to quote green day, "yes thank you, i really am having the time of my life"

- its not where that makes you the next person who makes an impact, its how much you want to make that impact.

Last edited by twentythree; 05-15-2009 at 01:37 AM.
twentythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
sparkestarx

sparkestarx has a neutral reputation

Thank you for sharing your experience @ NUS Business school! I was hoping a senior Initially, I was strewn between 2 uni choices. But now, I am more certain of which uni offer to accept.
sparkestarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
jellybean

jellybean has a neutral reputation

hmm...but not everyone would get to experience those exchange programmes or internships or special project stuffs am i right to say? its good to hear that life in nus bschool is so vibrant for SELECTED individuals. but actually im interested to know how life in nus bschool is for the average person who may not be as fortunate to go through such experiences...i mean im sure we all have heard how exciting all those opportunities are (that is if you get to go for them)...you get what i mean? and also im curious to know what are the not-so interesting parts of life in nus biz, just so i can get a more balanced picture of the situation and not rush into nus biz expecting all this hype coming my way just to be disappointed... hope you understand where im coming from!
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
no0b1

no0b1 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
hmm...but not everyone would get to experience those exchange programmes or internships or special project stuffs am i right to say? its good to hear that life in nus bschool is so vibrant for SELECTED individuals. but actually im interested to know how life in nus bschool is for the average person who may not be as fortunate to go through such experiences...i mean im sure we all have heard how exciting all those opportunities are (that is if you get to go for them)...you get what i mean? and also im curious to know what are the not-so interesting parts of life in nus biz, just so i can get a more balanced picture of the situation and not rush into nus biz expecting all this hype coming my way just to be disappointed... hope you understand where im coming from!
I get what you mean too. I would also like to know more about NUS Bschool from a layman's perspective. True, there are many OPPORTUNITIES present which develop students. Yet, opportunities remain as they are, opportunities. Not everyone can have them all, or any at all, for that matter.(Analogy: every lottery buyer has various opportunities to win various prizes, yet not all will win prizes.) Thus, it would be most enlightening if we could have another perspective at NUS Bschool, NOT that I'm doubting twentythree's account. Not everyone can be as outstanding as twentythree. What of the untold struggles that are encountered by average students? I would be helpful if someone could step up to give us a rough idea of the challenges that might present themselves. Thanks

Did anyone attend the Master class conducted by NUS Biz School? How was it like?
no0b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
jellybean

i went for the nus biz masterclass. they just assigned us a group and each group went for a different "lecture" simulation class, my group went for Operations Management class. basically, the prof just gave an introductory lecture abt the topic and engaged the group in discussions/interactions...its actually quite similar to tutorials/lectures in jc. then there was a luncheon after that (food was DAMN good), where we get to ask individual profs/ deans/ current undergrads questions and learn more abt nus biz life and stuff. yup
Old 05-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
no0b1

Quote:
i went for the nus biz masterclass. they just assigned us a group and each group went for a different "lecture" simulation class, my group went for Operations Management class. basically, the prof just gave an introductory lecture abt the topic and engaged the group in discussions/interactions...its actually quite similar to tutorials/lectures in jc. then there was a luncheon after that (food was DAMN good), where we get to ask individual profs/ deans/ current undergrads questions and learn more abt nus biz life and stuff. yup
Thanks I now regret not having went... Now, I've no clue if acc is suited for me...
Old 05-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
jellybean

i think there's only so much information you can get from websites/asking profs, to really know if you're suited for a course i guess you will really need to experience it yourself first before coming to a conclusion. so just go for acc and see how lor. but im sure you have some basic idea about what acc is about right, to have chosen acc as ur preferred course. anyway, nus biz ad (acc) is kind of flexible because at the end of it you can choose to graduate with a biz ad degree OR a biz ad (acc) degree.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
sparkestarx

sparkestarx has a neutral reputation

Quote:

I went for NUS BBA masterclass too. Business Policy introductory seminar. Hmm I agree with jellybean. I would certainly like to find out more about the mundance aspects of an average nus biz student's day! It would sound more realistic
sparkestarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
no0b1

Quote:
i think there's only so much information you can get from websites/asking profs, to really know if you're suited for a course i guess you will really need to experience it yourself first before coming to a conclusion. so just go for acc and see how lor. but im sure you have some basic idea about what acc is about right, to have chosen acc as ur preferred course. anyway, nus biz ad (acc) is kind of flexible because at the end of it you can choose to graduate with a biz ad degree OR a biz ad (acc) degree.
The masterclass sessions are over, so I can't experience what it's like now. I'm a rather introverted person. Based on your experience in the masterclass, Do you think it would be suitable for introverts like me? It's ok, you can be honest, no need to honey coat your opinions. Thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
jellybean

oh actually i meant experiencing studying accountancy in ur 1st sem/1st year (i think its possible to switch course if you find u really hate it or something). what i think is that, business students need to speak up and interact, because its a course that expects that from its students, unlike courses like science. its the way to learn the ropes of business because that is exactly what business is about, you learn through hands-on and discussions, not so much of textbook-based theories. with regards to your concerns about being introverted, it would indeed be a barrier to your learning. but then again, its up to you to change that. frankly, im kind of introverted in pri/lower sec, but i decided to speak up more in class and all it took was a first step. you'll have to make that effort to speak up and contribute to discussions in the lecture and once you get the hang of it, i dont think it will be an obstacle to your learning already. its a matter of taking the first step and getting used to it therafter.

Tags
business, ntu, nus, smu, university