BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
Resurgency

Resurgency has a neutral reputation

Don't worry, I believe that your grades would be more than adequete for admission into FASS if you were in contention for the DDP in Law and Biz. One question that you might want to look out for during the appeal might be that of your choices of course. (biz first and fass third)

If you are truly interested in law, why not try appealing for law?
Resurgency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
umaygn

umaygn has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelic_09 View Post
loysy, you're right. indeed no harm trying. but i'm actually also considering about appealing to my third choice which is FASS. will i stand a higher chance if i do that instead of appealing to business?
yup! i read that if you appeal to a course with lower requirements there is a higher chance of the appeal being successful.

with your grades i'm quite sure you meet the cut for fass.

what is your PW grade if i may ask? : )
umaygn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
onemillioncrayons

onemillioncrayons has a neutral reputation
Default Appeals!

Say i accept an offer by NTU, can i still appeal for a course in NUS? ;D
onemillioncrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
amdturion

amdturion has a neutral reputation

i am quite sure u have high chance of appealing into fass=)btw.jus to hijack a bit.umaygn.did u get into nus biz?or u got offered ur other choices?
amdturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
mochimochi

mochimochi has a neutral reputation

I'm interested to know too.
mochimochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
nanabanana

nanabanana has a neutral reputation

haha. so do i!
nanabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #17
clarenceux

clarenceux has a neutral reputation

yes, you are allowed to accept University A's offer and appeal against University B's decision at the same time. this is to ensure that you would not be left without a place in the event of an unsuccessful appeal attempt.

i hope this helps!
clarenceux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
kbarre

kbarre has a neutral reputation

hello, sorry to butt in. i got into my 2nd choice, chem engrg. i didn't select any double degrees option.

but now i've decided to do it with a double degree, biz + engrg. i got like, 6 distinctions and 1 B.

*scratches head*

is that good enough to appeal into the ddp? i dun need straight As to enter right?

coz i see the 1000words appeal essay that i've to write, and.....i start to feel so super sian about it...
kbarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #19
zoeychrix

zoeychrix has a neutral reputation

Allow me to hijack abit here? Is it possible to switch faculties once you are in NUS? If yes, by when should the switch be done by? 1st sem, 1st year? Also, if yes, any barriers to switching?

Cuz I was thinking, if switching faculties is possible (esp switching to a fac that requires lower grades), then the appeal is redundant. One could just go in and attempt the course first and switch out later if one finds it not to one's liking, esp if one has a wide range of interests and cannot decide on one's course choice now...

Just a thought.
zoeychrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #20
zoeychrix

zoeychrix has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarenceux View Post
yes, you are allowed to accept University A's offer and appeal against University B's decision at the same time. this is to ensure that you would not be left without a place in the event of an unsuccessful appeal attempt.

i hope this helps!
Hmm, are you absolutely positive about that? This is what the SMU FAQ page says though, which is a tad worrying.

If you have been offered admission to a degree programme and would like to appeal for a change of programme, you should accept the programme offered first while waiting for the outcome of your appeal. If you do not accept the offer of the programme within the stipulated deadline, your place will be assigned to others on the waiting list. (http://www.smu.edu.sg/admissions/app...faqs/index.asp)

But I'm guessing by 'stipulated deadline' it means 1st June, so prior to that it's okay to accept another university's offer while waiting for an appeal to SMU to be processed?
zoeychrix is offline   Reply With Quote