BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Sylvia

Default NUS Admission

Is it true that only the top 5% of each JC gets a chance to go into NUS? I wouldn't exactly consider myself top 5% but I do okay academically. Hoping to do banking and finance in NUS but am unsure as to whether I have a shot at it? Do I need to go for any interviews?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Sparks

Sparks has a neutral reputation
Wink

Not true lor....doesn't matter which college you are from...there's no fixed %
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
pheurie

pheurie has a neutral reputation

cannot be lah... NUS every year got 6000+ graduating leh.
but certain faculties are definitely more competitive, like law, medicine and business school. so good grades are expected and interviews may be required.
pheurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Lawrey

Lawrey has a neutral reputation

top 5% only applies to Polys i suppose ~
Lawrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Sylvia

Ohhh so that applies to poly? Hmmm okay was wondering where I heard that from then. Law was one of my options but somehow the number of lawyers in Singapore just keep increasing and increasing and it's getting so competitive out there! Not that banking isn't but numbers appeal to me than heavy text memorizing. All those case laws!!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
car_freak

car_freak has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to car_freak

Yeap. I think the 5% is referring to poly only.

So u shud not have much of a problem entering NUS.

But as for your desired course, it will depend on the no of people fighting for the 'x' no of places. And from there, grades or rather university score shud be taken into account.

The choices (in order of merit) also matter.

If u want Law, i heard u must put it as 1st or at most, 2nd choice to be at least shortlisted for an interview. GP grades matter too. (duh ...)

All the best!
car_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
zoster

zoster has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftboy View Post
Yeap. I think the 5% is referring to poly only.

So u shud not have much of a problem entering NUS.

But as for your desired course, it will depend on the no of people fighting for the 'x' no of places. And from there, grades or rather university score shud be taken into account.

The choices (in order of merit) also matter.

If u want Law, i heard u must put it as 1st or at most, 2nd choice to be at least shortlisted for an interview. GP grades matter too. (duh ...)

All the best!
not true, not true. my friends who put 3rd choice for law/med got shortlisted for the interviews. i guess at the shortlisting stage grades play the biggest role, the problem should only come during the interview when they question why you didn't put the course as first choice :s

yes, gp grades and pw results are really important during shortlisting!
zoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
sherane

"To be considered for the shortlisting for the Law test and interview, please indicate Law in your application form as the first and/or second choice. If you are interested in the Double Degree Programmes or Concurrent Degree, you should opt for these in the same application form."

This is from the Law Fac website of NUS. Even so, law is quite competitive so I don't think putting it as third choice would be very strategic if you want it to be a viable option. Unless your first two choices are like Medicine, Dentistry and then Law.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoster View Post
not true, not true. my friends who put 3rd choice for law/med got shortlisted for the interviews. i guess at the shortlisting stage grades play the biggest role, the problem should only come during the interview when they question why you didn't put the course as first choice :s

yes, gp grades and pw results are really important during shortlisting!
Yes its true. The faculties use grades to decide who gets shortlisted for the interviews, essays and tests(manual dexterity test for Dentistry). After being shortlisted, everyone is on equal standing and they throw your grades aside. They want to see what else you can offer them. That is why some people with super good grades finally don't make it into med law dentistry, but others who have less than perfect grades make it in. The key is to impress and be confident.

Also, if you are planning to apply for med law dentistry, please make sure you have a good GP grade (almost always at least a B3) because very often, it is the GP grade that will decide if you get shortlisted or not.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
sweetto_oth

sweetto_oth has a neutral reputation

Is it wise to apply for med with AAA B3 Project work: Band 3? Or will it be easier to get shortlisted for dentistry with those grades? And I've a pretty decent CCA record too.
sweetto_oth is offline   Reply With Quote