BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
pheurie

pheurie has a neutral reputation
Default NUS vs NTU vs SMU: Perceptions

Could anyone share their perceptions of the three local Us please? to me, NUS seems to be the "default" U to go for all kinds of studies, while NTU is the "technology" U and SMU the "business" U...
pheurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Shuting

Well basically IMO, NUS is where the cream of the crop go to. At least that's been my perception of it ever since Secondary school. It is THE uni to go to in Singapore but along with that comes the assumption that it is the toughest to get into as well. It is THE uni to go to for all courses, especially Law, Banking & Finance & Medicine.

And when I hear about NTU, it's more Biotech, Engineering and probably a bit of Media. It's the school that you apply to at the same time whilst applying for NUS. Second choice for many, First for some. Local U's are usually more "looked up" to anyway.

As for SMU, the business school is where it's hip, fun, happening and where all the fashionistas are. Might not be relevant but you do see a dressier crowd there. Teaching styles differ from NUS/NTU as they do not focus so much on drilling but on other stuff as well. It's a pretty fun place to be IMO!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

dershing has a neutral reputation

my comment as a person who has worked with and interviewed from all 3 universities. NO BIG DIFFERENCE. It really depends on the calibre and fit of the individual when it comes to work. So if it were a toss up between the 3 local universities, I suggest you go with which one you like best. Culture, friends, course of study that kind of thing. Then make sure you make the most of your university life.

Of course if you are comparing Oxbridge, top tier US universities, then there is a noticable brand difference which matters.
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
YEOJ0015

Default Not the brand.

Hi...

When I was at your age, I was seriously considering whether to choose SMU or NTU. When I finally chose NTU, I realise what's more important is the skills and knowledge that you are going to learn and it is not so much of the branding of the school. What I would tell my juniors is that university life is to have fun, make lots of friends and enjoy what you are going to study.

When I was in JC, I always thought that SMU is the hippest and most happening place to be. But university life is how you want it to be. You have to go the extra mile such as joining freshmen orientation camps, CCAs and be in a student leadership position to experience the vibrancy university life can bring.

Don't ever choose a school just because of the branding or how the newspapers brand the school... Do research and make your own perceptions. Of course, do ask as many people as possible if you have ANY questions.

All the best!

Last edited by YEOJ0015; 12-12-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
StoRm

Default this always comes up

I think everyone keep asking this question, but like what it has been said, between Singapore Universities, there's not that much difference in branding/ quality that you should be concerned about.

It's not which is better, but which one is more suited for your style of learning. We've seen graduates from all 3 universities who've made it great and just as many who've not, so who's to say which one is better.

I was attached to NUS for a year during my JC and sec sch, so I had a lot of exposure to NUS, and my grades could have easily got me into any university i wanted to. And if you are talking about Oxbridge =P i gained admission too, i just decided not to go upon serious reconsideration and weighing of various factors... NTU is next to my house and I've got a scholarship from it while i was deciding my choice, but ultimately I chose SMU - not because of it's brand, but because of its vision and quality of teaching staff. I agree with what the others have said, do you research based on what you are looking for. I've gone to the extent of searching out the CVs of faculty members and even news in the international media.

Ultimately, universities are places for you to learn and develop, how good each one is only depends on how much effort you put into your learning. I chose SMU for it's teaching style and the way its objective fit in with my own. I haven't regretted it.

It's certainly different in focus from how my friends are doing in NUS, but the difference is just that... a difference. My friends are equally aware of the difference, but they still prefer NUS while i prefer SMU. There's of course an added sense of security in choosing NUS because it has been around for some time and my friends enjoy that.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
lemonwguitar

lemonwguitar has a neutral reputation

so what do you really mean by the "difference"? what is so diff between the teaching styles in the 3 schools? i see that nus is more research-based, ntu has less traditional subjects but focuses more on tech. how about smu?

can some one elaborate on the teaching styles too?
lemonwguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
ultrapeanut!

ultrapeanut! has a neutral reputation

does anybody know how much time we have to submit our applications to local unis after the release of alevel results?
ultrapeanut! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
whitespace

whitespace has a neutral reputation

I believe there is indeed a difference. Perceptions actually shape the uni culture, as well as 'filter' the new blood that will go in.

If you do think that SMU is more 'hip', then ask yourself if 'hip' is your thing, or you prefer the rigourous methodology of NTU (the 'T' stands for something, ya?).

I have also noticed that interviewers tend to favour their own uni better, as can be seen from some questions such as "Oh, you're from NUS? Were you taught by the funny lecturer with the moustache?" and stuff like that.

In any case, and as mentioned above, you should be strong on the inside. Your desire to study should not be pegged to a school. That said, why not make where you study a factor you can use to your advantage?

Cheers.

Last edited by whitespace; 03-05-2008 at 03:09 PM.
whitespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #9
kyrii

kyrii has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrapeanut! View Post
does anybody know how much time we have to submit our applications to local unis after the release of alevel results?
we had just under a month to do so last year, i think. it wasn't that rushed and it wasn't nearly as complicated as applying to overseas u.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
orthoptics

orthoptics has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dershing View Post
my comment as a person who has worked with and interviewed from all 3 universities. NO BIG DIFFERENCE. It really depends on the calibre and fit of the individual when it comes to work. So if it were a toss up between the 3 local universities, I suggest you go with which one you like best. Culture, friends, course of study that kind of thing. Then make sure you make the most of your university life.

Of course if you are comparing Oxbridge, top tier US universities, then there is a noticable brand difference which matters.
well said
orthoptics is offline   Reply With Quote