BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
samrx8

samrx8 has a neutral reputation
Default Which one??!!

Hi I'm pondering over which university which be better to go to for econs... torn between NUS economics and SMU economics. I've looked through the course catalogue...feel that NUS economics focuses a lot on econometrics and research-based stuff...while SMU emphasizes more on industry behaviour, etc. labour economics, industry economics, maritime business economics. So I gather that NUS economics would be more academics-based, while SMU economics would be more of industrial exposures and stuff? Is my assumption true? Because i'm looking for smth practical and er, -_-" industralised. but still I'm still inclined towards NUS because of its reputation in liberal arts and I assume that their degree is likely to be more vigorous?

Any suggestions?
samrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 AM   #12
whirl

whirl has a neutral reputation

Just a suggestion, go for the school that you have the feel for, where you think you will adapt and do well. The school where you will fit into her culture.
whirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #13
sunshine89

sunshine89 has a neutral reputation

I think after confirming ur choice of course in the uni that u want..u feel relieved..happy and confident..are is very much looking forward to a new chapter of ur life in that uni..that will be the sch for u=D
sunshine89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #14
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

the cultural difference shouldn't be too great among three universities less than 20 km apart. just think about their strengths or weaknesses in the course you're interested in, and about the quality of the teaching and of your peers.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
AvlynCriss

AvlynCriss has a neutral reputation

You should really consider what type of career are you looking for when you start applying for the unis.

SMU Econs is more biz oriented - you are highly encouraged to take biz courses while taking econs. NUS Econs is definitely more established, but is, and this is according to prof I spoke to, more theory based. I guess it depends on the sort of flexibility you are looking for in your studies.
AvlynCriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #16
samrx8

samrx8 has a neutral reputation

okay thanks a lot for all ya help!
samrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #17
Fort

Fort has a neutral reputation
Default Computer Science

Which Uni is better for their Information Technology?
Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
invaz

invaz has a neutral reputation
Default Ntu

IMO, what I've heard its that NTU is THE place to go for Business & Accountancy courses, cuz of their Nanyang Business School. While SMU would be more for Arts and Social Science. NUS, rates highly mainly because they are the only U in spore to offer medicine, and of course the branding, otherwise I would say their main strength is in the biochem or life sciences dept. When it comes to IT, I believe NTU and NUS are equally renowned, only difference might be the teaching methods with NUS being more theoretical and NTU more practical.
invaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #19
kemise89

kemise89 has a neutral reputation

what about for chemistry?
kemise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #20
estee

estee has a neutral reputation

i m reali knid of worried that i m not as outspoken a person to shine in SMU. all the talk abt SMU being the place where students are more of a go-getter and focus more on speaking up in class. i was hoping to get into NUS or NTU where exams take up more weightage but SMU was the only one which offered me my first choice.

anyone who got into SMU actuali felt they shld have gone to NUS or NTU?
estee is offline   Reply With Quote