BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Government > Public Service Commission
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
yeoweixin

yeoweixin has a neutral reputation
Default PSC Application

I think i'm just gonna talk about PSC application. It's an ongoing process so do start early in J2 if you are interested. First, there's this psychometric test which tests your cognitive ability and personality. It's during july/aug (or around that period) so rmb to sign up for that in school or you will need to do it at some other place and time. then try your best for your prelims cuz if you do, you can use it to apply for early PSC application. the advantage of early application is that you will statistically stand a better chance (supposedly because schools usually kill their students in prelims and hence less people apply using prelim results), and once you get conditional offers, the requirement for you in A levels would be something like 3As and 1B. In another words, 3As 1Bs in A levels could get you a scholarship if you apply early and get the conditional offers, but when you apply after the A level results when thousands would have 4As, it's harder to stand out. Another reason to apply early is that you can do your psychological interview (1st interview) during the dec holidays, or guys you would have to do it during NS. So after the psychological interview, it would be the actual board interview where they would decide to award you or not. For the psychological interview, just be yourself and be truthful. as for the actual board interview, please read up on current issues or any other general knowledge cuz PSC wants people who are not just study-smart too. Yup so prepare well and start building up your CV too. all the best! =)
yeoweixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

i think weixin has covered a lot of stuff about PSC here. to be honest, I was very much interested in PSC, but i fell one s paper distinction short of getting an interview.

anyway, i really have quite alot to say about getting a psc scholarship, or how to get any other top scholarship. NEVER EVER neglect your studies. you won't even get your foot in the door if you don't meet the academic criteria. in the old a level system, people needed to get at least one s paper distinction to qualify for a psc interview during the post-a level results phase. don't ever, ever underestimate the difficulty of getting a s paper distinction (or in the case of the new curriculum.... whatever the equivalent is. H3?)

i beg to differ with the popular belief that once you're at the interview stage, the interview is all that matters and your grades and CCA don't matter at all. think about it: if you're an employer and you're about to give out almost $300k worth of tuition fees for each successful candidate, you're gonna be VERY careful about whom you select. you're not gonna predicate your decision on a 30-minute interview that good actors can fake through. (fyi, qualifying for an interview itself isn't too difficult if you have the academics right, even if your cca records are hardly scholar standard and all your teachers hate you). they do depend on your track record from the past 5 or 6 years - whatever the conventional wisdom, it obviously shows more about you than a 30 minute interview. and don't dismiss the importance of grades here. perfect scorers in the old system do get a slight boost - it's a tremendous and very impressive achievement. if you already have a good, but not godly, CCA record, think of how much perfect A level scores can add to that. it's just a psychological in our grade-conscious society. "Damn good all-rounder. brilliant person. a genius who can excel everywhere."
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

dershing has a neutral reputation

just to add to this. Interviews are a great way to show your passion for the company and the job and compensate for any academic weakness or less than ideal CCA. I personally screen for many mgmt trainees and scholars too as a first round screening, interviews can change a weak applicant into a strong one if the impression is good enough. End of the day, employers have to like who they see. I would also personally choose a 4A, no S paper but full of passion and eloquence over a quiet, non-descript 4A, 2S student.
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
LockT31W

i meant that i think its a misconception that the interview is the SOLE decider in the last stage. i doubt anybody's reckless enough to depend solely on that. track record is definitely as important. every factor adds up in the end. otherwise, why don't all of us just do the very bare minimum to qualify for the interview, and spend the rest of our time going to interview workshops? that's certainly not good news to any scholarship organisation looking for substance.

yep, i agree with dershing. still, the reality is that not many of us can depend overly on the interview to that extent . interview in itself is an unpredictable thing - some get easy questions, some get really tough ones. while we should still do well for interviews, we should obviously work hard all the way - thats the best thing to do. why not be a passionate, eloquent 4A 2S president-of-your-cca student?
Old 04-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
AvlynCriss

AvlynCriss has a neutral reputation
Question

Hey, does anyone know what the dress code for the psychological interview and then the actual board interview is? Kind of confused.
AvlynCriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
alegria

alegria has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoweixin View Post
I think i'm just gonna talk about PSC application. It's an ongoing process so do start early in J2 if you are interested. First, there's this psychometric test which tests your cognitive ability and personality. It's during july/aug (or around that period) so rmb to sign up for that in school or you will need to do it at some other place and time. then try your best for your prelims cuz if you do, you can use it to apply for early PSC application. the advantage of early application is that you will statistically stand a better chance (supposedly because schools usually kill their students in prelims and hence less people apply using prelim results), and once you get conditional offers, the requirement for you in A levels would be something like 3As and 1B. In another words, 3As 1Bs in A levels could get you a scholarship if you apply early and get the conditional offers, but when you apply after the A level results when thousands would have 4As, it's harder to stand out. Another reason to apply early is that you can do your psychological interview (1st interview) during the dec holidays, or guys you would have to do it during NS. So after the psychological interview, it would be the actual board interview where they would decide to award you or not. For the psychological interview, just be yourself and be truthful. as for the actual board interview, please read up on current issues or any other general knowledge cuz PSC wants people who are not just study-smart too. Yup so prepare well and start building up your CV too. all the best! =)
hello weixin, you're from hwachong, no? haha. have you been offered by PSC?
alegria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
alegria

alegria has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvlynCriss View Post
Hey, does anyone know what the dress code for the psychological interview and then the actual board interview is? Kind of confused.
psychological interview is actually not that formal, but at least shirt and pants - your normal working clothes should suffice. for the panel interview which is a lot for important and formal, i suggest a more formal attire such as business suit. personally i wore my suit set to the latter. yup.
alegria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
AvlynCriss

Anyone can tell me anything about the tea session they conduct after the psc interview? Like what is the purpose? Dress code? Etc... Thanks in advance!
Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
LockT31W

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvlynCriss View Post
Anyone can tell me anything about the tea session they conduct after the psc interview? Like what is the purpose? Dress code? Etc... Thanks in advance!
AvlynCriss, I should warn you that from here onwards as a PSC scholar, perhaps everything you do at PSC-organised activities and events will be watched and assessed by the officers present - especially the pre-departure course which is basically an assessment round for the President's Scholarship. remember to shine in the outward bound programme if you're aiming for the PS!

so for the tea session... it's basically for all those offered the PSC scholarships, including SGS(O). you should wear casual-formal hahah, what do you think would be appropriate for a tea session? probably a professional-looking long-sleeved shirt, pants, and black socks and shoes if you're a guy. i think a tie or suit would be overdoing it for a tea session, but there's no harm going overdressed if you don't feel self-conscious about it. for girls, i'm sure you can ask your mum - maybe a professional-looking blouse, skirt or long black pants. dress conservatively. nothing revealing or over-fancy high heels.. i don't know. i'm not a girl!

Last edited by LockT31W; 05-16-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
AvlynCriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
AvlynCriss, I should warn you that from here onwards as a PSC scholar, perhaps everything you do at PSC-organised activities and events will be watched and assessed by the officers present - especially the pre-departure course which is basically an assessment round for the President's Scholarship. remember to shine in the outward bound programme if you're aiming for the PS!

so for the tea session... it's basically for all those offered the PSC scholarships, including SGS(O). you should wear casual-formal hahah, what do you think would be appropriate for a tea session? probably a professional-looking long-sleeved shirt, pants, and black socks and shoes if you're a guy. i think a tie or suit would be overdoing it for a tea session, but there's no harm going overdressed if you don't feel self-conscious about it. for girls, i'm sure you can ask your mum - maybe a professional-looking blouse, skirt or long black pants. dress conservatively. nothing revealing or over-fancy high heels.. i don't know. i'm not a girl!
Thanks for the heads up! I'll be on my watch throughout the tea session and pre-departure course. I'm not really pinning my hopes for a PS. If they give it to me, great! If not, it's okay. Thanks again!