BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NTU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:56 AM   #21
Benjamin Y

Benjamin Y has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine855 View Post
HI!! I am offered to study CBC with Nanyang scholarship in NTU but I am invited for the CN yang scholars interview as well.

I know that if I get into the program, I will start learning about research in year 1. However, I am not sure if research is really what I want to do because I don't have any research experience e.g H3

In this case, I guess I have to pass the offer? Any advice pls ><
I guess I can still pursue research after graduating right?
Hi Jasmine!

Congrats for being invited for the interview!

I guess you have probably heard of the program curriculum. The program is definitely tailored to train researchers and will expose you to research work from your first year. Few of us enter the program knowing that research is our interest. The exposure and training actually help us find out if research is for us. Not all scholars from the program end up being researcher. Research or not, if you plan to deal with engineering work in the future, the training and experience is definitely worth it. A lot of things in research is applicable to most other jobs too. Problem solving, project planning, teamwork, presentation, etc. Having research work planned into your curriculum ensures that you get such training which is equally valuable for both research and non-research career. As a CN Yang Scholar you'll get much more than normal students. Support for overseas experiences, working with peers from different fields, extra benefits, etc.

If you have seen the curriculum and talked to some of the students, you'll probably guessed that it's a challenging program but I would say it's one that's rewarding.

Another thing is that it's easier to go from research to engineering or corporate work but if you do not have research experience, it's not easy to pursue a career in research or further studies in a research oriented programs. Of course, if you're trying to jump from research to a business job, that's a different story. Still, it's not impossible.

Why not attend the interview first? You'll probably be able to find out more information during the interview. There should be some events coming up as well, so you can talk to some students to find out more.

I'm a final year CNSYP student and I'm taking up a pretty much corporate job after graduation.

Good luck!

Ben
Benjamin Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #22
nyaro

nyaro has a neutral reputation

My friend is a CNYang scholar. She really liked them program in that she took a few modules with other scholars who knew a lot of stuff she didnt. She learnt a lot from them and that helped with her other modules. Research opportunites are definitely available for CNY scholars, but you don't have to go down the research career if you don't want to.
I am not in the CNY program, but my impression was that it is kinda overrated. Do take into account other considerations when you choose which offer to take.
nyaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #23
Jasmine855

Jasmine855 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaro View Post
My friend is a CNYang scholar. She really liked them program in that she took a few modules with other scholars who knew a lot of stuff she didnt. She learnt a lot from them and that helped with her other modules. Research opportunites are definitely available for CNY scholars, but you don't have to go down the research career if you don't want to.
I am not in the CNY program, but my impression was that it is kinda overrated. Do take into account other considerations when you choose which offer to take.
Thanks for the advice!
Jasmine855 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cn yang, engineering, ntu, science