BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NTU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Ning

Ning has a neutral reputation
Default NTU College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences - Art, Design and Media

Hello y'all!

With A levels done with, and applications for university courses just round the corner, I'm here with an early Publicity and Queries thread for my school's course.

Basic info can be found at our website:
http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/adm/

do feel free to voice any queries here! will reply to my best ability.
Cheerios~
Ning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Rhapsody

Rhapsody has a neutral reputation

Hi, I'm interested to know more about the following courses offered in ADM:

1. Digital Animation
2. Product Design
3. Visual Communications

I've been to the ADM website but the information re: the above mentioned courses are rather limited. Can you elaborate more, and perhaps touch a little on career prospects for the BFA degree.

A few Qns here: What is the Intake number? Is it tougher to get into ADM relative to Engine Courses? Would a Sci student with no Arts Background be considered for enrolment?

I'd also like to inquire about the portfolio requirements. I've taken at the .PDF file already btw. Please explain if the Entrance Portfolio requires all the various type of art required(i.e. Video/Animation/3d Objects/Samples of Written Creative material etc.), or just the ones related to the course you're interested in?

And please explain "It is highly recommended that no original artwork be submitted". I would assume that I have to reproduce a same piece of art I already possess for submission, because I would not get it back anymore?

Thanks in advance for your patience in answering my questions.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Ning

hello Rhapsody!

Thanks for your interest i'll try to answer your questions best as i can!

The intake number is about 160-180 this current year i believe. The school's been increasing intake number over the years. And i dont know about the difficulty in getting in, but i do know we have quite a sizable amount of applicants every year.

Dont worry if you dont have any background! just prepare some doodles or photography images that you have done to give the faculty a better idea of what your potential is. It would be helpful if you show things related to the courses you're interested in, but if your portfolio works are unrelated it doesnt really matter as well. i have friends who are in triple sci previously too, who made it!

Also, what they meant about not submitting originals, is to document your original work, lets say a painting or a sculpture, instead of submitting the actual piece in case it gets damaged. Thus submission of portfolio is ideally on a cd in softcopy, or you can print out pages in hard copy but bear in mind that resolution affects. So its not about reproduction, but more of submitting documented work.

you can also look at our students forum and see what they have written about entries etc.
http://forum.adm.sg

all the best!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
Rhapsody

Ning,

Thanks for your answers =]

Couple of questions more. I've been to the ADM forum and been reading about the workload of ADM students. I understand that ADM students in particular have to take 6 modules in 1 single semester. What are the daily schedules like? The reason I ask is because I have church commitments that are of utmost priority in my life, which take up 3 weekday nights and practically the whole of Saturdays and Sundays. What is your advice regarding this matter?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
callingmedog

callingmedog has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
What are the daily schedules like? The reason I ask is because I have church commitments that are of utmost priority in my life, which take up 3 weekday nights and practically the whole of Saturdays and Sundays. What is your advice regarding this matter?
God will help you with it, no worries.
callingmedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Ning

hello Rhapsody!

hmmm no worries about the workload if you are conscientious really. I have church commitments too on fridays and saturdays, sometimes sundays too. But i managed to use other time to do my work! (usually we end up sleeping a lil less too la, like say turning in at 2am and waking up for classes at 8am if we stay in hall. so yes year 1 MUST stay in hall if you can! makes a whole lot of difference.)

For 1st years, classes are almost always from 9am-2pm, unless your history and lit classes are scheduled late. these are compulsory modules pre-planned for you so you cant swap. usually late classes should end about 6.30pm, though i know a couple of freshies with classes ending 8.30pm but that's minority la.

some classes even have a 4 day week, so i guess if you find it really necessary, you can approach the school's academic coordinator to transfer classes into a timetable that suits you better. No worries on that!
Old 01-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Rhapsody

Thank you all for your encouraging comments. I shall try to apply for ADM this year then ^^ Thank you!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
F.A

F.A has a neutral reputation
Thumbs up ADM Details

Hello, I just want to ask a few general questions which I couldn't get from the ADM website. What's the total for the graduating cohort, and are your examinations and term break the same as other schools in NTU? Also, does ADM have their own publication? Do let me know thanks!
F.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Ning

Hello F.A,

Im not quite sure what you mean about total of grad cohort... if you mean the population graduating this year, its about 108 students.

And for exams and term breaks, yes we follow the rest of NTU. final exams for examinable modules are taken during the same exam period, and term break is always the 7th week of school.

Also, the students have a new online publication that is linked from the forum (i have pasted the forum link in the thread above!). so yup, you can check it out. February's issue will be out soon.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
m_m_m

m_m_m has a neutral reputation
Default Questions

Hello,

I have just gotten back my A level results yesterday and it was bad (mostly Ds).
May I know if will there be a chance in being accepted to the School of Art, Design and Media?

Also, if I do not have much of a talent in design but am still interested in this course, should I take a risk in applying for this?

Thanks in advance.
m_m_m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adm, art, design, media, ntu