BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NTU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
lara

lara has a neutral reputation

hey all, I'm from Nanyang Business School. Glad to meet all of you here!
Old 01-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #12

newbie has a neutral reputation
Default how does NTU compare with NUS and SMU for business courses?

Hi Lara, i am thinking of doing business but i am undecided among the three schools. Could you share on how you decided on NTU? TIA!
newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
lara

lara has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie View Post
Hi Lara, i am thinking of doing business but i am undecided among the three schools. Could you share on how you decided on NTU? TIA!
hi 'newbie',

I think it depends on your values. My decision also depended on my preferences.

First of all, SMU was not on my agenda ever since my JC time. I'm an international student on family 'sponsorship', so I'm more concerned with what I can learn. I was just afraid that I'll get carried away with the dressing up in SMU. I was not confident of my self-control.

For education, all I know about SMU is that class participation could be as high as 35% of your final marks. Simply put, the more you talk during the class, the higher your final marks will be. By 'talking' I mean listening attentively, answering questions and asking intelligent questions. In NBS it's usually 10 to 20% for the core subjects. Since it's higher in SMU, the discussion in class can get quite competitive, with everyone desperately trying to say something to score.

As for subject registration, NBS will allocate the subjects for the first year students, and the rest depends on who have faster fingers / better luck. I heard in NUS they have this bidding system, where everyone is allocated some points which they can use to bid for the subjects they want to take.

One of the reasons I chose NBS was that the Business course is 3 years with direct honours. In NUS it takes 4 years. Our Professional Attachment is during Year 2 summer holidays, while for NUS it's during term time. I think that one year difference means one year of working experience, which I think is more valuable than classroom learning.

I never studied at NUS, so I can't give you a comparison between NBS and the Business course in NUS, but I can say for sure that here life is quite fast-paced, with many exciting events and competitions going on. Our new Dean of NBS is Professor Jitendra V. Singh, who was a vice-dean in Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. I had spent only half a year in NBS, but so far I don't regret coming here.

I also liked the campus before I apply. It's very spacious and the scenery is really good. There are lots of trees and the air smells fresh. I'm staying on campus, and to stay on campus you have to participate in extra-curricular activities to earn points. If you stay in the east, then you have to travel or join ECAs to stay on campus.

There are exchange programmes in NTU too, but going overseas may be quite stressful since you have to earn Academic Units to graduate, and because of subject matching, you may earn fewer AUs overseas compared to if you stay, so chances are when you come back you've got quite little time to clear the subjects.

As I said earlier, where you want to go depends on what you value the most. If you have any specific questions about the business courses in NTU you can post here or pm me. Hope you'll soon figure out which school suits you the best!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 AM   #14
vsthermo

vsthermo has a neutral reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuting View Post
is it really true that for the whole of year1 for chem engine there's gonna be around 90% of maths integration and 10% of chem+phy? and will there be more phy or more of chem on the whole? haha ohya.. and its really hard to get in right? u require 3As and above?

and thanks for offering ur help! (:
Hey Yuting,

There is A LOT of differentiation and integration models we have to solve, some by hand, some by computer programmes, well that forms the main bulk of cbe applications, like heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics.

There is strictly speaking, only ONE module of organic chemistry that we have to take in year 1, from then on, we are free from chemical structures and bondings! (except for cases which they use during their final year project )

For Year 1, the modules we take are as follows:
Material Science
Physical Chemistry (but it doesnt look like chem, more of physics)
Physics
Maths 1 and 2
Bio 1
Materials and Energy Balance(almost hard core)
Thermodynamics (hard core)
Intro to programming
Organic Chem and Spectrophotometry
Lab 1 and 2
(those hard core mods are those which you will keep seeing them thru-out the 4 yrs in ntu-cbe)

So as you can see maths seem to be at a higher proportion, but I wont say 90%, maybe 30-40% in yr 1. Except for the pure physics mod we take in year 1(a recap of jc stuff), we never really see pure physics theories again. Our course focus a lot on applications, so the we focus more on setting up math equations (mass and energy balances, etc) for a system, learning how to solve them, etc.

As for the "very hard to get in part", I think our course is easier to get in than the that of our NUS counterpart, maybe due to lower competition? You dun need 3As to get in, but if you dun have a nice GP result like B4 or above its better to get 3As. I know of ppl getting 3A,GP C5 or C6 who got in, also people getting 1A 2B(i tink so), GP B3 who got in also.

So if you are interested in the energy or pharmaceutical engineering fields go join us! The profs here are nice and can teach very well, esp from year 2 onwards (yr 1 profs are average). A few have the problem with accent, but you will still understand once u get used to it.

Any more question feel free to ask me!! :-)
vsthermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
Gloriole

Gloriole has a neutral reputation

hey ning.
Thanks for the advice and the link to the forum! it's really a great help
Gloriole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #16
Lawrey

Lawrey has a neutral reputation
Default ADM or IEM?

hmmm im graduating with a engineering dip from NP, as i have passion for arts and design, im int in either ADM courses or the eng+arts which is IEM where i can skip 1 year,

Im not sure of the career prospects, i dunno whether i shld pursue on the area of my interest or according to the growing industries.

need some advices here thanks!
Lawrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:12 AM   #17
yuting

yuting has a neutral reputation

hey thanks alot vsthermo. haha now i really dont know what course to study tho cos i like chemistry and there seems to be so little chem in chem engine.
yuting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #18
vsthermo

vsthermo has a neutral reputation
Default To yuting

Haha.. Icic. How about considering the Chemistry and Biochemistry Course in NTU? Its a very interesting course also, best if you have a strong passion in chemistry. :-)
vsthermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #19
Ning

Ning has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrey View Post
hmmm im graduating with a engineering dip from NP, as i have passion for arts and design, im int in either ADM courses or the eng+arts which is IEM where i can skip 1 year,

Im not sure of the career prospects, i dunno whether i shld pursue on the area of my interest or according to the growing industries.

need some advices here thanks!
hi lawrey,

hmmm i think it depends on whether you prefer the creative arts side, or the engineering side, really.
cos i think in ADM we dont touch any engineering courses, unless you want to take them as electives.
i think IEM is very much more on the engineering side, yup. you may want to visit NTU's website and find out abt the course differences.

or you can come down to our sch's admission talks days in Feb and Mar, and find out more from the professors!
Ning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #20
Lawrey

Lawrey has a neutral reputation

i see thanks Ning, will look into it this sat,

just another question, does NTU look at

Non-Academic Achievements (if you intend to put in talents or achievements) - Documents on Co-curricular activities; participation in community services, etc. To complete an essay in Section B of not more than 300 words in either of the topic

a) Share an event/incident you have encountered personally and why and/or how it has affected you or is especially meaningful to you

b) Describe a person who has had an influence in you, and share with us why and/or how it has influenced you

and prioritizes u?
Lawrey is offline   Reply With Quote