BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NTU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #21
Ning

Ning has a neutral reputation

hi,

well yes you can write about non- Acad stuff too, but i think they want you to relate about issues close to you.
the CIP and CCA stuff should have been mentioned in your school's testimonials and records of your studies i think? at least when i applied my JC provided information on our involvement in non-acad stuff, and gave us testimonials.

but if you dont have those, yes you can write about your experiences and how they've impacted you. Admission is usu based more on academics, so im nt sure about priority given for you even if you talk abt it. yup!

cheers,

ning
Ning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:33 AM   #22
yuting

yuting has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthermo View Post
Haha.. Icic. How about considering the Chemistry and Biochemistry Course in NTU? Its a very interesting course also, best if you have a strong passion in chemistry. :-)
lol but if i study Chemistry there won't be alot of jobs available right? i don't want to go into teaching -.-.. haha and cos my friend studied NUSchemH3. she told me that many students there either regretted or asked her not to study that course !
yuting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 AM   #23
vsthermo

vsthermo has a neutral reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuting View Post
lol but if i study Chemistry there won't be alot of jobs available right? i don't want to go into teaching -.-.. haha and cos my friend studied NUSchemH3. she told me that many students there either regretted or asked her not to study that course !
That is, I believe, a common misconception. The field of Chemistry is very wide. Esp nowadays all the pharmaceutical, petrochemical, semiconductor industries are booming.

Chemist works in the research labs under R&D dept, of such companies, and also in Fab operations of semiconductor field. Some go into working as a process chemist, where they are in charged of all the quality level of products, and make sure that everything is done in proper, high standards. Chemist also work alongside chem engineers in petrochemical industries. Sometimes its quite an overlapping job esp in the R&D areas. (although we study very diff things).

To me, it all boils down to your passion. People who are from Bio(and used to say that the job oppotunities are low) have succeeded in life. It all depends on how you look at it and how well you can carve out your own career path. We dont wait for the jobs to drop down from the sky.. hahaaZ. You got to actively take part in making your career something of your choice, something that you can contribute to with the rest of your life.

On top of that, many people dont work in the exact job scope that they used to study. Say for chem engineers, many end up in R&D, sales eng, finance, management... Only a small percent stay as technical eng in teh manufacturing line all through their life.

So, having said that, go for what you really want to do in life. Opportunities can arise anywhere in every single corner of the world. Good luck!
vsthermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:23 AM   #24
witchjane

witchjane has a neutral reputation
Default Mathematical Science

Hi

Can anyone tell me the difference between taking BSc (Hons) in Mathematical Sciences and BSc (Hons) in Mathematical Sciences with concentration in Mathematics of Information and Communication or Computational Mathematics? Will it affect my career prospect or something like that?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
sonrocker

sonrocker has a neutral reputation

Hi Lara, what would be the expected A-level grades to get in NBS? Does it require interview after shortlisting candidates? Does NBS and/or NTU offer any scholarship for international students?

Thanks alot.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #26
lara

lara has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrocker View Post
Hi Lara, what would be the expected A-level grades to get in NBS? Does it require interview after shortlisting candidates? Does NBS and/or NTU offer any scholarship for international students?

Thanks alot.

Hey there,

Last year the cut-off grades were BCC (or BBC? I couldn't remember) for Business, and AAA for Accountancy. For your information if you are admitted to Accountancy you can still choose to transfer to Business, but it'll be harder for the reverse to happen.
Cut-off for this year: I think it'll depend on the performance of your cohort and how many people apply. Accountancy side would have more competiton because of job security, and last year if your GP was B and below you would need an interview.

I haven't heard of any scholarship offered to NBS students except maybe Tourism Board Scholarship. But if you consider taking up engineering I suppose there will be plenty of scholarships you can choose from.

Hope I've cleared your doubt. All the best in application!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #27
sonrocker

sonrocker has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara View Post

For your information if you are admitted to Accountancy you can still choose to transfer to Business, but it'll be harder for the reverse to happen.
Cut-off for this year: I think it'll depend on the performance of your cohort and how many people apply. Accountancy side would have more competiton because of job security, and last year if your GP was B and below you would need an interview.
Hey Lara, thanks for your useful information.

However, could you please give more details about switching to Business from Accountancy and the interview for those whose GP was B and below please?
Also, getting into Accountancy equates to getting at least AAA and GP A/B. pls correct me if i'm wrong.
With regard to the scholarship, i've heard NTU does offer a Nanyang Scholarship for all courses. Is that true? If so, are international students eligible for it? [i'm a J2 foreign student studying in NJC]

Thanks and best regards.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #28
lara

lara has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrocker View Post
Hey Lara, thanks for your useful information.

However, could you please give more details about switching to Business from Accountancy and the interview for those whose GP was B and below please?
Also, getting into Accountancy equates to getting at least AAA and GP A/B. pls correct me if i'm wrong.
With regard to the scholarship, i've heard NTU does offer a Nanyang Scholarship for all courses. Is that true? If so, are international students eligible for it? [i'm a J2 foreign student studying in NJC]

Thanks and best regards.
NBS freshmen will take same course in the first academic year. During this period there's not much required of an Accountancy student to transfer to Business because the entrance cut-off points were higher for Accountancy, i.e. the fact that you are in Accountancy shows that you are qualified to study in Business course as well. However, after the first year Business students will be streamed to different specializations such as Marketing, or HR. The core subjects required for each specialization differ, and are also different from those required for Accountancy. Therefore it will be quite difficult to transfer after the first year.

I do not know much about interview because I didn't have one, but I heard from my current classmate, a girl from Temasek Poly, that she was interviewed by some professor from the faculty and the professor was quite friendly. This is all I know about the interview. Sorry but I can't provide any more details.

Last year if you get AAA and GP A/B you won't need to go through the interview to study in Accountancy.

There is a Nanyang Scholarship and it is open to international students. However I doubt that anyone in NBS got it, given that there is already quite intensive competition for a position in NBS.

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/Admissions/Sch...rships_new.htm
This website provides information on all the scholarships that are applicable to NTU undergraduates. Hope it could be of some use to you.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #29
xiaosiong

xiaosiong has a neutral reputation
Default Nbs

I am also kind of interested in NBS, but more towards the Business side. Just wondering how much power we have in terms of what we wanna major in (eg, Banking, marketing) etc. Is it based on academic performance, availability or what? Because I am only interested in marketing, and don't want to end up in NBS studying something else.

Same for mass comm, from what I know, students get to choose a area to major in after the first year. How does it work? Is it first-come first serve, based on availability, or what?
xiaosiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #30
Dan

Dan has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaosiong View Post
I am also kind of interested in NBS, but more towards the Business side. Just wondering how much power we have in terms of what we wanna major in (eg, Banking, marketing) etc. Is it based on academic performance, availability or what? Because I am only interested in marketing, and don't want to end up in NBS studying something else.

Same for mass comm, from what I know, students get to choose a area to major in after the first year. How does it work? Is it first-come first serve, based on availability, or what?
Unfortunately, the exact details of the streaming of students to their majors are secret. However, it will not be too far off to say that selection is done primarily on the basis of merit. Other factors will come into play since there is no way NBS will allow all students to major in Marketing (for eg).

Also, there are only a finite number of lecturers in any particular field/specialization/course- they can't be spread too thinly, or overworked, just to meet the demand. In other words, the more popular a major is, the harder it will be to get in.

Cheers.
Daniel
NTU/School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering(EEE)
Open House 2008 Student Ambassador
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote