BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NTU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
Angiekj

Angiekj has a neutral reputation

ooh. One more thing, if im not wrong, NTU CBE intake is much smaller than NUS chem engi intake. But how come it seems so much more competitive and difficult getting into NUS's CHEM ENGINEERING??
Angiekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
vsthermo

vsthermo has a neutral reputation

Do join us this coming saturday for our welcome tea session! If im not wrong, it will be held at SCBE building, this sat from 1-5pm. Exact details shd have been communicated to you from SCBE admin.

As for why NUS chem eng is harder to get in, you shdnt be asking me, but asking those who have applied (perhaps including yourself). :-D There seem to be more people who applied for NUS Chem Eng (which includes locals and foreigners alike) as compared to people applying for NTU Chem Eng. It could be due to the fact that NUS is established for a long time and hence they have built up trust between the public and them.

NTU Chem Eng is much much newer (we are currently taking in the 6th batch of students only) which could possibly be why the popularity is slightly lower. Another reason (as provided by a fren from NUS Chem Eng), is that NTU is more secluded than NUS (ie. harder to access by public transport), and hence NUS was their better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angiekj View Post
wow, insightful info shared here! Nice (:

I'm aware that NTU's CBE program is more realistic/practical in that it better equip graduates for work, whereas NUS's Chem engi prog entails too much unnecessary modules, too academic driven.

Somehow, I'm swayed towards ntu's chem engi which i ve been offered!

But I'm still waiting for NUS.... Its taking a little too long..
vsthermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
SARAVANAN

SARAVANAN has a neutral reputation

hey i got E for GP and As for Physics, Chem, Math, Econs and for PW and mother tongue. I would like to applyfor ntu cbe. How are my chances??
SARAVANAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
vsthermo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAVANAN View Post
hey i got E for GP and As for Physics, Chem, Math, Econs and for PW and mother tongue. I would like to applyfor ntu cbe. How are my chances??
Hello I can't exactly tell you what are your chances since it all boils down to the number of students who applied and what is the standing of your results compared to the rest of the cohort.

As a reference, in 2009, the lowest 10th percentile scored AAA/B(H1), and it is assumed they get C for GP.

But with your interest in CBE and your As, I would strongly encourage you to apply CBE as your first few choices, since the order of choice MIGHT make a difference in terms of priority (not too sure abt this). In the meantime, do check out our other courses which you might be interested in as well.

Come to our NTU Open House on 13th March to find out more abt the various courses, and talk to the seniors who have been thru it all!

All the best in your application!

Last edited by vsthermo; 03-07-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
mrskunda

mrskunda has a neutral reputation

Hi, am interested in chem engineering as well but not too sure about the modules taught in both ntu and nus. I heard from some of my friends that nus engineering have more physic components than chem is that true? I am very concern about this because i only took h1 physic in jc and is not very interested in physic. Also, i have not taken bio in jc before also so i am more interested in a course that is more related to organic chem. Am also thinking of fruit science but is bio required? Hope someone can enlighten me.

Additional info, I got A for chem, maths, econs pw and physic (h1) and D for GP.
mrskunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #16
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

Bio in A level is focused more on the genetics side of things - you won't be handicapped by the lack of bio, and you should be able to catch up easily if there any bio components. I don't take Chem engineering so I can't advise you on that.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #17
vsthermo

I would agree with what Haecceity has said.

For Chemical Engineering (and even Biomedical Engineering), Bio is not a prerequisite for entry, and any bio knowledge required would be taught during your course of study in Year 1.

A minimum of O Level Physics is required for Chem Eng as students would need to apply the "Physics" way of thinking and problem-solving skills.

Not too sure abt NUS Eng and Fruit Science (Food Science?) though, maybe you can ask in the NUS thread for their reply.

But at the end of the day, I would say that Chem Eng is a strong focus on Maths and Physics-way of thinking. Memorizing doesn't really help, we really need to understand the concept fully and apply it in any sort of (weird) questions that can come up during exams.
We dont exactly deal with the chemistry part of organic chemistry, rather we apply Physical Chemistry methods (mole calculation, ideal gas law, etc) for Organic materials (benzene, ethylene, methanol, etc) as well as living cells (calculate their rate of growth in an industrial reactor).

I believe that this should apply to all engineering, as we learn to APPLY the theories in a real industrial situations via scale up and making relevant assumptions, thus the hard-core theories/derivation of all Sciences(be it Maths, Chem, Phy, Bio) would not be our focus.

You'll find that what you learn in engineering is way different from all your A Level stuff.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #18
puzzledgirl

puzzledgirl has a neutral reputation

Hi there, im intending to apply for either cbe or cbc.. may i know whats the difference btwn the two? im more inclined towards chem, did well for phy but hates phy. haha
puzzledgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
vsthermo

Hi there,

Firstly I would like to differentiate between Sciences and Engineering courses.
Science focus on how things work (based on observation), why it works (based on deduction and inference).
It encompass the discovery of new frontiers, new technology, new theories.

Engineering is to tap into what has been postulated and/or proven in Science, and apply it into industrial basis.
We focus on how to make things work in real life (scale up from lab to plant), how to optimize the way things work (increase efficiency and cost-effectiveness).

For example: (please pardon me for any errors in terms of theory)
In Chemistry, they discover polymerization can form long chains of molecules, which can be made into products like tissue scaffolding, nylon, plastics. They also found that by controlling some reaction parameters, different molecules with different physical and chemical properties can be made even from the same starting monomers.

In Chemical Engineering, we apply what they have discovered, to see how we can produce it in an industrial plant, with the highest quality, lowest cost and safe conditions. We deal with alot of mass and energy balancing, materials flow, optimal reaction condition, sizing of equipments.

An important thing to note is that even though engineering is an "application" course, we have to learn a lot of theories (yes memorizing is still required) in engineering areas such as heat and mass transfer, mathematical modelling.
But in Chemistry, theories would be on the different aspects of Chem such as physical, inorganic, organic chem, and biochem (chemistry of biomolecules).

To know more about the courses, visit
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/scbe/cbe/Pros...e_students.htm

Chemistry and Biochemistry
http://www.spms.ntu.edu.sg/Propectiv...Programme.html
Old 03-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #20
vsthermo

An additional thing which I find can be rather misleading is that many students like chemistry, not physics, or physics but not chemistry.

I would like to say here that in engineering, it is almost an entirely different course from all of your JC A Level subjects.

As an example, please refer to the chemical and biomolecular engineering curriculum below (for students admitted in 2009).
http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/scbe/cbe/Unde...20Jan%2010.pdf

We take very minimal pure science modules, i.e. physics, maths, chem, bio.
These will only be taught in year 1. To join engineering, you need to be ready to accept things which are of totally different concept from what you've learnt in JC.

Also, you might want to find out more about the specialized job scopes for the graduates of each course before you make your decision. (of coz you might also go into generalized jobs such as banking, teaching, HR, supply chain, etc.)

Do be mentally prepared to have a very busy school life if you are joining CBE. All our students are "trained" to have excellent time management to balance work and play.