BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NTU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
layers

layers has a neutral reputation
Default NTU College of Engineering - Information Engineering and Media

I wish to enter this course

I do like know more. any senior here can share the experience?
layers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
dungcleaner

dungcleaner has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by layers View Post
I wish to enter this course

I do like know more. any senior here can share the experience?
hello! i am from IEM and hopefully, I can answer your questions.
do view the course website here:

http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/eee/iem/curriculum/overview.asp

i'm not sure if you're referring to the academic aspect or the student life when you say "experience". one thing for sure is that, the intake is quite small (around 70 per cohort), thus you see familiar faces where ever you go. this is in stark contrast with other engineering schools where there are thousands of people per intake.

do feel free to pose more specific questions
dungcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
layers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungcleaner View Post
hello! i am from IEM and hopefully, I can answer your questions.
do view the course website here:

http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/eee/iem/curriculum/overview.asp

i'm not sure if you're referring to the academic aspect or the student life when you say "experience". one thing for sure is that, the intake is quite small (around 70 per cohort), thus you see familiar faces where ever you go. this is in stark contrast with other engineering schools where there are thousands of people per intake.

do feel free to pose more specific questions
hmmmm how is this course compare to Com science or Com Eng?

how do u find the course?
Is the Art module hard to score?
how do you rate this course?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
dungcleaner

Quote:
hmmmm how is this course compare to Com science or Com Eng?
com science and com engine themselves are not the same thing. one is more on hardware whereas the other is more on software. IEM students do take computing modules eg. C, Java, Data structures and algorithms etc.

Also, we do take other modules from the communication school (eg. Basic Media Writing -- we were thought how to do newspaper reports for the first segment, TV news report script writing for the second segment and PR for the third segment of this module). Our course is quite a hybrid course and the artsy modules add spice to the engineering courses.

Quote:
how do u find the course? how do you rate this course?
personally, i enjoy this course. if you're strong in technical subjects, like analysing, yet would like to learn art + communication etc, this course is for you. For the engine side, I would say you have to love math+physics+computing etc, or you'd hate it. In my very biased opinion, I would rate it as the most interesting engine course But of course, there is another side to the coin where people call us the jack of all trades masters of none.

Quote:
Is the Art module hard to score?
I am currently doing my first art module. The prof grades your work according to your progress (she checks our work every week), and not so much if you 'can draw' or 'cannot draw'. If there is effort made to learn the techniques taught, she will be able to see it. Also, we draw every week during our 3 hour tutorial session. So we have to keep those pieces and submit some of them as our portfolio at the end of the sem. She'll be able to keep track of our individual progress that way and grade us. It isn't easy to fail this module, but it requires doing more than she expects to score an A.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
layers

Quote:
com science and com engine themselves are not the same thing. one is more on hardware whereas the other is more on software. IEM students do take computing modules eg. C, Java, Data structures and algorithms etc.

Also, we do take other modules from the communication school (eg. Basic Media Writing -- we were thought how to do newspaper reports for the first segment, TV news report script writing for the second segment and PR for the third segment of this module). Our course is quite a hybrid course and the artsy modules add spice to the engineering courses.

personally, i enjoy this course. if you're strong in technical subjects, like analysing, yet would like to learn art + communication etc, this course is for you. For the engine side, I would say you have to love math+physics+computing etc, or you'd hate it. In my very biased opinion, I would rate it as the most interesting engine course But of course, there is another side to the coin where people call us the jack of all trades masters of none.

I am currently doing my first art module. The prof grades your work according to your progress (she checks our work every week), and not so much if you 'can draw' or 'cannot draw'. If there is effort made to learn the techniques taught, she will be able to see it. Also, we draw every week during our 3 hour tutorial session. So we have to keep those pieces and submit some of them as our portfolio at the end of the sem. She'll be able to keep track of our individual progress that way and grade us. It isn't easy to fail this module, but it requires doing more than she expects to score an A.
call tell me more, anything that come to your mind?

oh yea, u stall in the halls?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
dungcleaner

Quote:
call tell me more, anything that come to your mind?
you may want to refer to http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/eee/iem/curri...ear_intake.asp for the single degree program and http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/eee/iem/curri...ble_degree.asp for the double degree program respectively.

Hm, the best thing about this course are the artsy and communications modules. In the last sem, I took this module called Basic Media Writing.

Basic Media Writing: Really fun module. No one else will get to take this module besides the students from Wee Kim Wee School of Communication & Information. The tutorials are very interactive, and we get to watch videos most of the time during lecture (even watched a movie during 1 lecture)

For part 1, we learn about newspaper report writing, then we had to do write a newspaper article on this topicWe had to interview someone (eg, a professor, taxi driver etc) and quote something the interviewee has said in our newspaper article.

For part 2, we learn about TV news. This is the part where we watched the most videos during lecture. Then we had to do a TV script for assignment 2, whereby we had to think about the camera angle, TV images and the lines that the reporter has to say. Really fun assignment.

For part 3, it was PR. We were made to invent a product/service, then write a promotional press release for the product/service. Then, the tutor swapped our press releases among groups in the class. Using the press release that you've received from the other group, write a 'fake' complaint letter about how bad their product/service was.. so your group will also receive a complaint letter, to which you have to craft a reply letter to solve the issue.

This module is one of a kind and really enjoyable. You won't get to take such modules in other engineering courses

For now, I'm taking an art module (Drawing as a Conceptual Tool). We were taught still life drawing, perspective drawing, toning, and life drawing (yes, naked models ). Next up for us is portrait drawing (drawing human faces).

Hm, I guess I can continue ranting about how fun I think the artsy and comm modules are... but it would be good if you have specific questions to ask so that I can provide you my point of view. So yea, feel free to ask anything that you're curious about.

It'd be good if you could go for NTU's open house this saturday too (13 march 2010). Here's the website for more info: http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/[email protected]/ . I know I sound very promotional here but IEM will also have a booth of its own so you can drop by to ask the seniors questions.

Quote:
oh yea, u stall in the halls?
yes, i do! though not a very active hall activities participant
Old 03-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
layers

Quote:
you may want to refer to http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/eee/iem/curri...ear_intake.asp for the single degree program and http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/eee/iem/curri...ble_degree.asp for the double degree program respectively.

Hm, the best thing about this course are the artsy and communications modules. In the last sem, I took this module called Basic Media Writing.

Basic Media Writing: Really fun module. No one else will get to take this module besides the students from Wee Kim Wee School of Communication & Information. The tutorials are very interactive, and we get to watch videos most of the time during lecture (even watched a movie during 1 lecture)

For part 1, we learn about newspaper report writing, then we had to do write a newspaper article on this topicWe had to interview someone (eg, a professor, taxi driver etc) and quote something the interviewee has said in our newspaper article.

For part 2, we learn about TV news. This is the part where we watched the most videos during lecture. Then we had to do a TV script for assignment 2, whereby we had to think about the camera angle, TV images and the lines that the reporter has to say. Really fun assignment.

For part 3, it was PR. We were made to invent a product/service, then write a promotional press release for the product/service. Then, the tutor swapped our press releases among groups in the class. Using the press release that you've received from the other group, write a 'fake' complaint letter about how bad their product/service was.. so your group will also receive a complaint letter, to which you have to craft a reply letter to solve the issue.

This module is one of a kind and really enjoyable. You won't get to take such modules in other engineering courses

For now, I'm taking an art module (Drawing as a Conceptual Tool). We were taught still life drawing, perspective drawing, toning, and life drawing (yes, naked models ). Next up for us is portrait drawing (drawing human faces).

Hm, I guess I can continue ranting about how fun I think the artsy and comm modules are... but it would be good if you have specific questions to ask so that I can provide you my point of view. So yea, feel free to ask anything that you're curious about.

It'd be good if you could go for NTU's open house this saturday too (13 march 2010). Here's the website for more info: http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/[email protected]/ . I know I sound very promotional here but IEM will also have a booth of its own so you can drop by to ask the seniors questions.

yes, i do! though not a very active hall activities participant
IS all the assignment in groups??

Drawing as a Conceptual Tool tough? Naked models? female 1 or male only :P, ang moh or local lol, just curious.

Is the drawing tedious? Cos i know drawing require alot of concentration and time

anyway, i am more concern of the job prospect after graduate, very rojak haha

+ i not a very talkative person la, any such guy ard? Thats y scare i cant do well.

how abt the attachment? any of your senior go to Koei?

and then how u going to stay in hostel for yr 2 then haha

what is the killer subject? and how is your GPA =D

u at the open house ah??

oh yea how abt web design?

Last edited by layers; 03-10-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
dungcleaner

Quote:
IS all the assignment in groups??

Drawing as a Conceptual Tool tough? Naked models? female 1 or male only :P, ang moh or local lol, just curious.

Is the drawing tedious? Cos i know drawing require alot of concentration and time

anyway, i am more concern of the job prospect after graduate, very rojak haha

+ i not a very talkative person la, any such guy ard? Thats y scare i cant do well.

how abt the attachment? any of your senior go to Koei?

and then how u going to stay in hostel for yr 2 then haha

what is the killer subject? and how is your GPA =D

u at the open house ah??

oh yea how abt web design?

not all assignments are in groups. some individual, some groups. 50 50 i would say. regarding job prospects, I was concerned about it too. but after entering uni, what i see is that, a degree is just yet another degree. whether you take an engineering one or say, an arts one, it trains and stretches you to think and analyse. Unless you're taking very specific degrees like Law, Accountancy, Nursing or those from NIE...these degrees path you for a certain route. Other than that, many people do not really go into the field that they majored in during uni (ie, most Singapore ministers have engineering background, a psychology graduate friend ended up working in a bank etc.)

regarding talkativeness / quietness, personally i'm not too talkative either... so much so that when i speak up during group discussions, everyone will keep quiet to listen LOL. though i'm not a guy... but there are quiet guys in my course too. either way, you'll be able to fit in lah don't worry. that's the benefit of this course -- it's so small that everyone knows everyone else. unless you choose to isolate yourself, you'll fit in fine. after fitting in you won't even have to worry about going without a group during group work.

attachment, not too sure yet. the seniors that i am closer to are only in year 2 currently and attachment only starts in year 3. but my professor mentor ever mention about writing in to disneyland USA beforehand to request for an internship spot. hahah.

i haven't taken the web design module yet. but some of my seniors took it already, together with the visual communication one. they came up with really cute animated characters from scratch. looks really cool.

killer subject... judging only from what I have taken last semester and the current semester, I found Digital Electronics the most difficult. but that's because I couldn't see the logic behind it.. i got a C+ for that module. but then again, three of my friends got A+ for the very same module so it's really subjective! I would say that guys are generally better at such modules and they see the logic faster. perhaps you won't have to worry so much my current gpa...is between 3.5 to 4.0. pretty average...not too good either.hahah. because i aim to graduate with second class upper honours so that gpa of mine isn't good enough.

drawing can be time consuming, but the end product gives you satisfaction. the key is to not push homework up till the last minute, because then you'll be panicking, the ideas won't come, and the drawing will be hasty (and ugly!). also, the prof is ang moh, so she's really encouraging (even if our work looks like crap, she'll say it looks nice and she sees effort).

as for the naked models... it's up to you to find out
Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
layers

Quote:
not all assignments are in groups. some individual, some groups. 50 50 i would say. regarding job prospects, I was concerned about it too. but after entering uni, what i see is that, a degree is just yet another degree. whether you take an engineering one or say, an arts one, it trains and stretches you to think and analyse. Unless you're taking very specific degrees like Law, Accountancy, Nursing or those from NIE...these degrees path you for a certain route. Other than that, many people do not really go into the field that they majored in during uni (ie, most Singapore ministers have engineering background, a psychology graduate friend ended up working in a bank etc.)

regarding talkativeness / quietness, personally i'm not too talkative either... so much so that when i speak up during group discussions, everyone will keep quiet to listen LOL. though i'm not a guy... but there are quiet guys in my course too. either way, you'll be able to fit in lah don't worry. that's the benefit of this course -- it's so small that everyone knows everyone else. unless you choose to isolate yourself, you'll fit in fine. after fitting in you won't even have to worry about going without a group during group work.

attachment, not too sure yet. the seniors that i am closer to are only in year 2 currently and attachment only starts in year 3. but my professor mentor ever mention about writing in to disneyland USA beforehand to request for an internship spot. hahah.

i haven't taken the web design module yet. but some of my seniors took it already, together with the visual communication one. they came up with really cute animated characters from scratch. looks really cool.

killer subject... judging only from what I have taken last semester and the current semester, I found Digital Electronics the most difficult. but that's because I couldn't see the logic behind it.. i got a C+ for that module. but then again, three of my friends got A+ for the very same module so it's really subjective! I would say that guys are generally better at such modules and they see the logic faster. perhaps you won't have to worry so much my current gpa...is between 3.5 to 4.0. pretty average...not too good either.hahah. because i aim to graduate with second class upper honours so that gpa of mine isn't good enough.

drawing can be time consuming, but the end product gives you satisfaction. the key is to not push homework up till the last minute, because then you'll be panicking, the ideas won't come, and the drawing will be hasty (and ugly!). also, the prof is ang moh, so she's really encouraging (even if our work looks like crap, she'll say it looks nice and she sees effort).

as for the naked models... it's up to you to find out
Disney?? oversea attachment???

Well i aim still split btw Com science and IEM as u can see

but poly dateline over liao, to play safe i put NTU-georgia tech 1st and 2nd choice , IEM third.....lets which i get , if get 1st 2 choice i dunno wan to appeal for IEM anot haha, both are good courses

any info on the booth at IEM this open house, got showcase art work?

and how is the maths module?? I am from poly, heard that math in poly and Uni is 1 heaven 1 earth >_<

Last edited by layers; 03-11-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
readmymind

readmymind has a neutral reputation

This course is definitely what I am interested in. However, it is the career prospects that I am concerned with... Any stats about the employability rate and gross salary of IEM graduates?
readmymind is offline   Reply With Quote