BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NTU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

View Poll Results: If you are qualified to get in these courses, which one would you pick?
Mathematics NTU 6 5.56%
Economics NTU 10 9.26%
Mathematics & Economics NTU 61 56.48%
Mathematics NUS 9 8.33%
Economics NUS 22 20.37%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
sonrocker

sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Default NTU - Math & Economics (Combined Degree)

Dear juniors

For those of you who are setting sights on taking Maths&Econs ( MAEC ) at NTU, I am here to help answering your enquiries and hopefully clearing your doubts.

I've gone through what you are going through right now and this forum has benefited tremendously me in many ways, especially when I was in your very same spot, so I feel the calling to come back and share.

Feel free to start the ball rolling!

Last edited by sonrocker; 07-29-2011 at 05:28 PM.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Thread stuck. Thanks sonrocker for volunteering to help here.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
crossXover

crossXover has a neutral reputation

Can i ask about the job prospect? Most of the graudates end up working in which sector?
crossXover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
sonrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossXover View Post
Can i ask about the job prospect? Most of the graudates end up working in which sector?
Here are some employers that indicated their choice in selecting candidates from MAEC:
. Ministry of Finance
. Prudential Singapore
. SMRT Corporation
. Spring Singapore
. LTA
. HSBC Insurance
amongst others.
Frankly u can work in both public and private sectors.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
aqua89

aqua89 has a neutral reputation

Hi sonrocker,

Thanks for volunteering urself to clarify the MAEC course as it is still pretty new and if i am not wrong, the first batch is only graduating this year.

For myself, i have alreay gotten into MAEC since 2008, meaning i will enter this year. But i am having doubts again if this course is really suitable after my NS and everything.

Therefore i need ur help in answering some of my doubts:

1) My math teacher in school had been saying that it is relatively difficult to study math in UNI as it is very much different as compared to JC? Then if study Math plus Econs some more, wouldn't it be suicidal?( i heard econs alone is already enough of a headache)

2)I heard that the environment there is super competitive as in there is a lot of foreign talents in this course with all type of awards/olympaids under their belt? It makes me wonder if a average singaporean can actually even get a 2nd class honours when he graduated?

3)May i also ask in your opinion, what is the advantages of MAEC as compared to NUS FASS Econs degree plus maybe with a minor in math/statistics?

Hope to hear from you soon.: )
aqua89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
sonrocker

Here is my response:
1. Studying maths at uni is not a walk in the park. This part everyone understands. However, if u are the person who is comfortable with maths ( by comfortable i mean if u are given a math problem u wont freak out and avoid it ), it is not gonna be so suicidal. I'm not sure HOW ur maths teacher told u ( i mean, in what manner and tone ) but the bottom line with maths, or any other uni course, is you have to like ( or expect yourself to like ) certain aspect of it. You are going to discover/prove how a certain theory occurs and apply it in problems.
Key words: comfortable and interest.

2.The myth of foreign talents with tons of awards/olympiads ( and they are gonna hunt down the locals) is not totally true, and it is not THAT intimidating. Of course there are always smart ppl in the course, local students i mean. If you work hard, with a SUSTAINED interest, i dont see why u need to limit yourself at 2nd class.

3.The whole minor thing isnt appealing, actually. In pursuing a minor, u only take about 5 modules of that minor, which is just enough to get yourself a perspective into that subject, it's certainly not sufficient for a deep understanding. I would certainly encourage using academic units that are set aside for elective to pursue a minor though. In the case of FASS Econs as u mentioned, i think only the econs part actually counts.

Pointers above are my personal observation. Extract info that u need in a critical way to make ur decision.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
JJ11989

JJ11989 has a neutral reputation

Is it true that most students in mathematics courses eventually become teachers?
JJ11989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
sonrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ11989 View Post
Is it true that most students in mathematics courses eventually become teachers?
Nope. Not true.
I would say if one is interested in academia, one would move on to take master/PhD and become a maths professor.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
Daymund

Daymund has a neutral reputation

May i know if this course is relevant towards becoming an actuary?
Daymund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #10
sonrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymund View Post
May i know if this course is relevant towards becoming an actuary?
This is a good question.
" The programme also provides an excellent coverage of Mathematics, Statistics and Economics that are highly relevant to related disciplines such as Actuarial Science and Finance." - extracted from NTU website.

Reference: http://www.spms.ntu.edu.sg/MAS/Under...mOverview.html