BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NTU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

View Poll Results: If you are qualified to get in these courses, which one would you pick?
Mathematics NTU 6 5.56%
Economics NTU 10 9.26%
Mathematics & Economics NTU 61 56.48%
Mathematics NUS 9 8.33%
Economics NUS 22 20.37%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
Daymund
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5
Daymund has a neutral reputation
Default

Thanks for your answer. In terms of competing to be an actuary, will a student who studies Math and Econs be at a disadvantageous position as compared to a student who major in Acturial science in NTU Biz?
Daymund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
sonrocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 243
sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Default

If u have decided actuarial science is certainly the career path for u , I would suggest u pursue Actuarial Science specialisation under NBS because if u get good grades, u have a chance to qualify for exemptions in the actuarial examination.

On the other hand, if you are looking for flexibility in career choices, consider MAEC.

Note: I was once told by an actuarial science prof that the percentage of NBS actuarial science student that ACTUALLY stay committed to the actuarial career is not skyhigh. Something for u to consider.

Last edited by sonrocker; 03-13-2010 at 08:16 PM.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
sonrocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 243
sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Default

[[email protected] 2010]: met many interesting people today at MAEC booth at NTU OPEN HOUSE.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #14
Daymund
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5
Daymund has a neutral reputation
Default

Thanks a lot. Your answer has really enlighten me..
Daymund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
Kangnie
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 24
Kangnie has a neutral reputation
Default

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, what is the difference between Maths & Econs and Econs alone?

I just knew that NTU has Maths & Econs only yesterday. I'm looking at doing Econs in uni and planning to apply for Econs. But my grades weren't fantastic, only BBB/B so I don't think I've much chance of getting in. I'm thinking of putting Maths & Econs as my next choice. Yes, I admit that I'm thinking 'If I can't get Econs, Maths & Econs is also good because there's still Econs.'

But I read in this thread that Maths in uni is going to be difficult. I wasn't good in Maths in my entire school life. In sec school, I was failing A Maths throughout(E8 even at prelims) but miraculously got a B3 in A Maths at O Levels. While in JC, I was also failing Maths with U, S with my best being an E grade, but also miraculously got a B at A Levels. I'm not trying to brag or anything because really, Bs for Maths is nothing to be proud of. But what I'm saying is that, the huge jump in the math grade in the major exams is probably luck or miracle.

So that being said, I'm not confident of Math at all. So would it be wise of me to put Maths & Econs in one of my choices in my NTU application?

Last edited by Kangnie; 03-14-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Kangnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
breezezzz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
breezezzz has a neutral reputation
Default

Hi sonrocker,

I'm thinking about majoring in MAEC, but I still have some questions.

1) MAEC is very new, so I wonder whether the curriculum arrangement is mature or not. And what about the staff? Are the professors there well qualified?

2) I heard that MAEC itself is very tough, especially the economics. And if the students want to do well, they have to choose some PEs. Thus they don't have much time to minor in other courses they are interested in. Is that true?

3)Once again, I want to know the career perspective. Can students easily find a job after graduating, or do they have to continue to get Masters or PhD in order to get a good position? If students can get jobs after graduating, are the jobs well-paid?

Hope you can clear my confusion, thanks~
breezezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
sonrocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 243
sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezezzz View Post
Hi sonrocker,

I'm thinking about majoring in MAEC, but I still have some questions.

1) MAEC is very new, so I wonder whether the curriculum arrangement is mature or not. And what about the staff? Are the professors there well qualified?

2) I heard that MAEC itself is very tough, especially the economics. And if the students want to do well, they have to choose some PEs. Thus they don't have much time to minor in other courses they are interested in. Is that true?

3)Once again, I want to know the career perspective. Can students easily find a job after graduating, or do they have to continue to get Masters or PhD in order to get a good position? If students can get jobs after graduating, are the jobs well-paid?

Hope you can clear my confusion, thanks~
1. I would say the curriculum is quite well designed so that you will gain knowledge from both fields. The profs, as far as my experience is concerned, are friendly and helpful. If you have a keen interest and ask questions, you will learn a lot from them.

2. Due to the course structure, u will have 15 academic units for unrestricted electives. This is precisely sufficient to pursue a minor of your choice. In case you want to do more, appeal is allowed.

3. I would say those who want focus on the academia would move on to take up masters/phd and become professors. Other people would go directly to the job market, be it in public sector or private sector. You have a certain degree of flexibility over here, with knowledge from both fields, u can apply to jobs that are pertaining to both maths grads and econs grads. U can work in banks as well, if u wish to.

Last edited by sonrocker; 03-14-2010 at 07:52 PM.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
sonrocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 243
sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangnie View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, what is the difference between Maths & Econs and Econs alone?

I just knew that NTU has Maths & Econs only yesterday. I'm looking at doing Econs in uni and planning to apply for Econs. But my grades weren't fantastic, only BBB/B so I don't think I've much chance of getting in. I'm thinking of putting Maths & Econs as my next choice. Yes, I admit that I'm thinking 'If I can't get Econs, Maths & Econs is also good because there's still Econs.'

But I read in this thread that Maths in uni is going to be difficult. I wasn't good in Maths in my entire school life. In sec school, I was failing A Maths throughout(E8 even at prelims) but miraculously got a B3 in A Maths at O Levels. While in JC, I was also failing Maths with U, S with my best being an E grade, but also miraculously got a B at A Levels. I'm not trying to brag or anything because really, Bs for Maths is nothing to be proud of. But what I'm saying is that, the huge jump in the math grade in the major exams is probably luck or miracle.

So that being said, I'm not confident of Math at all. So would it be wise of me to put Maths & Econs in one of my choices in my NTU application?
I understand your concern and it is perfectly reasonable to have that thought in mind.

I'm not sure if you keep urself abreast of the uni grade profile for each course but I reckon the cut-off point for MAEC is above that of Econs. But dont take my words for it, do some research and double check. As the course name suggests, in MAEC, you will take both maths modules and econs modules.

If you have not known, econs in uni is relatively mathematical. That's for sure. It is no longer essay-based as in JCs. So u do need to be comfortable with maths. This is important to econs modules at higher level ( year 2 onwards ).

Past results may not necessarily indicate future performance. Dont let what u got in O level or A level bother u, u might be able to change completely, for the better of course.

Last edited by sonrocker; 03-14-2010 at 07:52 PM.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
aqua89
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 13
aqua89 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrocker View Post
Here is my response:
1. Studying maths at uni is not a walk in the park. This part everyone understands. However, if u are the person who is comfortable with maths ( by comfortable i mean if u are given a math problem u wont freak out and avoid it ), it is not gonna be so suicidal. I'm not sure HOW ur maths teacher told u ( i mean, in what manner and tone ) but the bottom line with maths, or any other uni course, is you have to like ( or expect yourself to like ) certain aspect of it. You are going to discover/prove how a certain theory occurs and apply it in problems.
Key words: comfortable and interest.

2.The myth of foreign talents with tons of awards/olympiads ( and they are gonna hunt down the locals) is not totally true, and it is not THAT intimidating. Of course there are always smart ppl in the course, local students i mean. If you work hard, with a SUSTAINED interest, i dont see why u need to limit yourself at 2nd class.

3.The whole minor thing isnt appealing, actually. In pursuing a minor, u only take about 5 modules of that minor, which is just enough to get yourself a perspective into that subject, it's certainly not sufficient for a deep understanding. I would certainly encourage using academic units that are set aside for elective to pursue a minor though. In the case of FASS Econs as u mentioned, i think only the econs part actually counts.

Pointers above are my personal observation. Extract info that u need in a critical way to make ur decision.
Thanks sonrocker for ur advice.

Guys, i am here to share some information and questions that i have found out during the open house for everyone considerations.

During the open house, I ask the NTU ppl why they choose Math and econs over FASS and their answer was FASS degree too common liao and therefore very hard to stand out when looking for jobs unless u are damn zai. Their argument for y they choose maths and econs is because since Econs by itself is very mathematical already, might as well take MAEC since also very relevant. But they also admit that math and econs very competitive coz of the foreigners(which is 40% of the cohort).

Then the NTU ppl were saying that if i cant manage MAEc, can halfway drop the MATH and just study econs in NTU? But i feel like very uncomfortable. coz if is just study econs, i might as well go FASS since it is more well established?

Oh ya, i also ask the NUS FASS dean's office ppl, she say that only 20-30% of FASS students get to do the honours year then the rest will be forced to graduate at the 3rd year with just a BA. Whereas NTU offer direct honours, meaning most ppl can graduate with a honour as long as ur grade can make it.

Guys, What are your opinions on this? is MAEC still a better option than FASS econs.
aqua89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
sonrocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 243
sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua89 View Post

Then the NTU ppl were saying that if i cant manage MAEc, can halfway drop the MATH and just study econs in NTU? But i feel like very uncomfortable. coz if is just study econs, i might as well go FASS since it is more well established?
MAEC provides you a leeway to make an exit if you cant handle the maths, which should be viewed as a positive aspect.
However, if you already decided beforehand that you are not going to touch maths modules, u can enter Econs course, at NTU or NUS or SMU, there's nothing wrong with it.

It all boils down to your range of interests.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.