BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Rate My Chances!
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
chocolatte4-

chocolatte4- has a neutral reputation
Unhappy Failed H2, chances of getting into NTU LMS?

got the answers alrd. pls delete, thanks!

Last edited by chocolatte4-; 04-23-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: got the answers, thanks!
chocolatte4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatte4- View Post
I did really badly for my A levels, rank point is 62.5 (65.25 after including H1 CL).

my grades are:
H2 physics: D
H2 Chem: S
H2 Math: E
H2 Econs: B

I got A for GP, PW and H1 CL.

I tried my luck, applied for NTU LMS, Chinese, EEE and Physics in the following order. still have yet to receive any call or any email at all. I am only interested in getting into either LMS/Chinese as that's where my passion lies. If i am rejected, do I still have a chance for appealing to LMS? I do have extra language certifications such as HSK, JLPT and hopefully TOPIK (taking this week). Will that be of any help?

(I also did apply to SIM-UOL as a backup. Last resort will be retaking As which I really do not want to because I know that the results won't be any different.)
There's no real requirements for getting into SIM-UOL. So you will defnitely get in. However, I think your chances for NTU is zero, not even a slightest chance. A failed H2 is equivalent to you not taking that subject at all. Even a person with a failed H2 but As for the other subjects would not get in. Simply because they dont meet the basic requirements of 3H2+1H1 and GP.

I dont think CL/PW can substitute as H1 either. If it could, no one would actually take that extra H1 subject.

Simply put, I dont think you're eligible because you dont have the min number of subjects. I could be wrong. I am wrong, then it pretty much sets precedence for future A-level students to stop taking the extra H1 subject since it can be subbed by MT or PW. And if I am wrong, your other H2 subjects are still not great either. it would be pretty impossible for you to get into NTU HSS courses. You may have a chance for physics or EEE since those are closer to your rank points.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
chocolatte4-

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok_ex View Post
There's no real requirements for getting into SIM-UOL. So you will defnitely get in. However, I think your chances for NTU is zero, not even a slightest chance. A failed H2 is equivalent to you not taking that subject at all. Even a person with a failed H2 but As for the other subjects would not get in. Simply because they dont meet the basic requirements of 3H2+1H1 and GP.

I dont think CL/PW can substitute as H1 either. If it could, no one would actually take that extra H1 subject.

Simply put, I dont think you're eligible because you dont have the min number of subjects. I could be wrong. I am wrong, then it pretty much sets precedence for future A-level students to stop taking the extra H1 subject since it can be subbed by MT or PW. And if I am wrong, your other H2 subjects are still not great either. it would be pretty impossible for you to get into NTU HSS courses. You may have a chance for physics or EEE since those are closer to your rank points.
Hi, I did receive an offer from NTU EEE today. It really came as a surprise as I was prepared to receive rejection letters and retake As! I'm wondering if I can still appeal after I accept the offer?
Old 04-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #4
havok_ex

Quote:
Hi, I did receive an offer from NTU EEE today. It really came as a surprise as I was prepared to receive rejection letters and retake As! I'm wondering if I can still appeal after I accept the offer?
Thats good to hear!! Yes you can still appeal after accepting, I would advise you to accept, then appeal. If youre still intending on getting into HSS, you could even try to transfer after your first semester or after your first year in NTU!!
Old 04-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
chocolatte4-

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok_ex View Post
Thats good to hear!! Yes you can still appeal after accepting, I would advise you to accept, then appeal. If youre still intending on getting into HSS, you could even try to transfer after your first semester or after your first year in NTU!!
Thank you for the advice! Just another question: is it difficult to transfer afterwards? How's the rate of success like?

Last edited by chocolatte4-; 04-26-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:31 AM   #6
johnathan

johnathan has a neutral reputation

Hey,

I was in the same predicament as you with my bad 'As' but heng heng manage to scrape through to EEE. It is quite easy to transfer to other engineering courses because the first year is mainly common engineering modules. It will be quite difficult to transfer to HSS but just work hard in school and try for it. Ultimately, it depends on your grades if you want to transfer. Word of advice for EEE: You got to work hard and be consistent! I am in my first year btw
johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
havok_ex

Quote:
Thank you for the advice! Just another question: is it difficult to transfer afterwards? How's the rate of success like?
I pm-ed you about transfer to hss. It's hard, but not impossible
Old 05-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
chocolatte4-

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathan View Post
Hey,

I was in the same predicament as you with my bad 'As' but heng heng manage to scrape through to EEE. It is quite easy to transfer to other engineering courses because the first year is mainly common engineering modules. It will be quite difficult to transfer to HSS but just work hard in school and try for it. Ultimately, it depends on your grades if you want to transfer. Word of advice for EEE: You got to work hard and be consistent! I am in my first year btw

Thanks for the advice! I'm putting my hopes on appealing for now; I don't really have the confidence to do well in EEE as I'm quite weak in maths and physics. Hopefully my appeal is successful and I won't have to go through all the trouble of course transfer!