BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Rate My Chances!
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 01:06 AM   #1
Noelleko
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 10
Noelleko has a neutral reputation
Unhappy Rate my chances please

Hello! I gotten my a lvl results back this year and it wasn't v good :/
ACC/C, B for gp and A for pw. I applied like 3 weeks ago and up till now still no news so I'm really worried. Can ppl with past experiences advise me? My first choice for nus is fass and my rank points just nice hit the 10th percentile. What are my chances?
Noelleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 AM   #2
Autopsy
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Singapore
Posts: 38
Autopsy has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelleko View Post
Hello! I gotten my a lvl results back this year and it wasn't v good :/
ACC/C, B for gp and A for pw. I applied like 3 weeks ago and up till now still no news so I'm really worried. Can ppl with past experiences advise me? My first choice for nus is fass and my rank points just nice hit the 10th percentile. What are my chances?
Hello Noelleko!
Seems to me that about 1500 students enter NUS FASS every year; it's a random number I picked up from their website - correct me if I'm wrong.
If your score is at the 10th percentile, I'd say you still have a chance of entering FASS albeit I suggest you prepare backups. I have never heard of interviews being conducted for FASS but perhaps they do conduct some on a discretionary basis, and if so, I hope you get it!
What course are you looking to study? Perhaps we can discuss some other alternatives
Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Noelleko
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 10
Noelleko has a neutral reputation
Default

Hello autopsy! I'm thinking of econs or sociology! I applied for ntu and smu as well but up till now still no news
Noelleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
SodiumChloride
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 18
SodiumChloride has a neutral reputation
Default

NUS FASS and science have already start sending out offers but people who received such early offers usually have way higher UAS than the cut off point, >80. I guesstimate that with your grades you will definitely receive your offer but not this early, perhaps in the 'normal' offer cycle of mid-april onwards.

In terms of chances, you definitely stand a decent chance. Many people have the misconception that 10th percentile IGP= the bare minimum grades required but this is not the case. The 10th percentile indicates the set of grades that the bottom 10% of the cohort had when they managed to enter the course, which means that candidates who had grades slightly lower than the 10th percentile IGP are still admitted into the course. On top of that, given that the intake of FASS is so huge, simply hitting the 10th percentile IGP ensures a decent chance.

That being said, the pass rate for this year has hit a record high since the new H1, H2 and H3 syllabus was introduced from 2007 onwards. Competition is definitely stiffer than recent years, but in my opinion not by much.

Last edited by SodiumChloride; 03-30-2016 at 02:02 PM.
SodiumChloride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #5
turtlesoup
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
turtlesoup has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
NUS FASS and science have already start sending out offers but people who received such early offers usually have way higher UAS than the cut off point, >80. I guesstimate that with your grades you will definitely receive your offer but not this early, perhaps in the 'normal' offer cycle of mid-april onwards.
I have heard of NUS FASS giving out offers to people with 80+ UAS. But those with perfect 90 UAS have not received anything yet. Anyone knows why? Or is there any 90 UAS who has received offers from NUS FASS already?
turtlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
SodiumChloride
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 18
SodiumChloride has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlesoup View Post
I have heard of NUS FASS giving out offers to people with 80+ UAS. But those with perfect 90 UAS have not received anything yet. Anyone knows why? Or is there any 90 UAS who has received offers from NUS FASS already?
Usually people with perfect 90 UAS are much more likely to apply to competitive courses like medicine, law or pharmacy in NUS, or other courses like chemical engineering (aka AAA/A courses) as their first choice. Given that such courses are highly sought after, it would make sense in my opinion for NUS to wait it out for more applicants before sending out offers.

That being said, I don't see why if a person who got 90 UAS and applied for FASS as their first choice not considered for the early offer cycles. Perhaps those people you know of placed the competitive courses as their 1st choices.
However, I can't be too sure of my own theory too.

EDIT: I don't know anyone with 90 UAS who applied for FASS and have yet to receive their offer. However, if such case exist, my theory is that they might be considered for faculty scholarships together with their offer. Because from what I have read online, many NUS scholarships that are offered is highly dependent on whether candidates accept their place at the school first.

Last edited by SodiumChloride; 03-30-2016 at 02:58 PM.
SodiumChloride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
turtlesoup
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
turtlesoup has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
Usually people with perfect 90 UAS are much more likely to apply to competitive courses like medicine, law or pharmacy in NUS, or other courses like chemical engineering (aka AAA/A courses) as their first choice. Given that such courses are highly sought after, it would make sense in my opinion for NUS to wait it out for more applicants before sending out offers.

That being said, I don't see why if a person who got 90 UAS and applied for FASS as their first choice not considered for the early offer cycles. Perhaps those people you know of placed the competitive courses as their 1st choices.
However, I can't be too sure of my own theory too.
No leh. Put FASS as first choice.
turtlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
SodiumChloride
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 18
SodiumChloride has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlesoup View Post
No leh. Put FASS as first choice.
Your reply came in just as when i was editing my post! Read my earlier post
SodiumChloride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
turtlesoup
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
turtlesoup has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
Your reply came in just as when i was editing my post! Read my earlier post
Thanks for your plausible theory!
turtlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #10
Autopsy
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Singapore
Posts: 38
Autopsy has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelleko View Post
Hello autopsy! I'm thinking of econs or sociology! I applied for ntu and smu as well but up till now still no news
I see.. Well, applications have yet to close so don't lose hope yet! Most faculties do a first round of offers and then wait for all the applications to come in by the deadline before doing a second round of offers If you do not get it in the second round, you might want to appeal and there might just be a third round, depending on which university you are talking about.
Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.