BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:00 AM   #11
opt1m4l

opt1m4l has a neutral reputation

Quite a sizeable number of Singaporean freshers stayed at Fig Tree this year. Just a tip
opt1m4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #12
bojangee28

bojangee28 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by darco717 View Post
Don't think so cos if they had a white coat ceremony i'm guessing it would have been in one of medsoc videos btw, have you guys looked into accommodations yet?
was hoping that there would be one haha. My parents would be so happy to attend it!! And I'm looking for on campus accommodation, but registration for 2016 intake hasn't opened yet!! How about you?
bojangee28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #13
bojangee28

Quote:
Originally Posted by opt1m4l View Post
Quite a sizeable number of Singaporean freshers stayed at Fig Tree this year. Just a tip
Yes, I know! My senior told me Fig Tree has a lot of Singaporeans and Malaysians and it's good cause no alcohol can be brought in! Haha so I think it'll be my top choice. Are you studying in UNSW now?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #14
Icing133

Icing133 has a neutral reputation

Hello! I'm probably heading over to UNSW in 2016 too anyone knows when the 2016 application for accommodations starts?
Icing133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #15
opt1m4l

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangee28 View Post
Yes, I know! My senior told me Fig Tree has a lot of Singaporeans and Malaysians and it's good cause no alcohol can be brought in! Haha so I think it'll be my top choice. Are you studying in UNSW now?
Yep, it's a dry college. Who's your senior!

Uh it's complicated, suffice to say I'll be joining you guys next year as a med fresher
Old 08-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #16
darco717

darco717 has a neutral reputation

The last time I checked with the staff they said applications will start Ard mid aug to sep I'm considering the unsw terrace apartments instead cos I feel fig tree hall is rather expensive has anyone heard/know about the university terraces?

Last edited by darco717; 08-22-2015 at 09:58 PM.
darco717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:08 AM   #17
opt1m4l

Quote:
The last time I checked with the staff they said applications will start Ard mid aug to sep I'm considering the unsw terrace apartments instead cos I feel fig tree hall is rather expensive has anyone heard/know about the university terraces?
Eh, note the different tenancy lengths. FTH adopts a 40 week tenancy; Terraces adopts a 52 week tenancy. Remember to calculate the total cost - don't just look at the weekly payments! *

* It's extremely unlikely that you'd be there for the entire 52 weeks, you'll probably want to come back. But do your own calculations and see which one works out better for you.

You might also be able to store stuff in Fig's storage area if you do decide to renew your lease the following year. You'd have to find a storage space for your stuff at the end of your lease otherwise.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #18
darco717

Quote:
Originally Posted by opt1m4l View Post
Eh, note the different tenancy lengths. FTH adopts a 40 week tenancy; Terraces adopts a 52 week tenancy. Remember to calculate the total cost - don't just look at the weekly payments! *

* It's extremely unlikely that you'd be there for the entire 52 weeks, you'll probably want to come back. But do your own calculations and see which one works out better for you.

You might also be able to store stuff in Fig's storage area if you do decide to renew your lease the following year. You'd have to find a storage space for your stuff at the end of your lease otherwise.
Hmm yeah you're right opt1m4l! Now looking at my calculations, it does seem like fig tree is cheaper..

Last edited by darco717; 08-24-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #19
bojangee28

Quote:
Hmm yeah you're right opt1m4l! Now looking at my calculations, it does seems like fig tree is cheaper..
Yup! I was also looking at self-catered accommodation. But in the end, the total cost was almost equal. And I think if I had to buy ingredients to cook, self-catered would be more expensive! Plus I'm not sure how the billing system is like for the apartments/what facilities are provided. So I thought I'd play it safe and go with Fig Tree!
Old 08-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #20
darco717

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangee28 View Post
Yup! I was also looking at self-catered accommodation. But in the end, the total cost was almost equal. And I think if I had to buy ingredients to cook, self-catered would be more expensive! Plus I'm not sure how the billing system is like for the apartments/what facilities are provided. So I thought I'd play it safe and go with Fig Tree!
Agree! I guess its more convenient too because we don't have to cook and stuff. But do you know how the meal system at Fig Tree go since the fees cover 3 meals a day? If we have lessons around noon, I may not want to go back to the hall just to eat lunch

Tags
australia, interview, medicine, tips, unsw