BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #21
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

There is a list of private clinics in singapore approved by the australian visa department. Look for it. There are two sata clinics offering both medical and x rays exam.
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:08 PM   #22
GingerBreadman

GingerBreadman has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkfighter123 View Post
Hi, I've decided on going to Flinders next Feb. Hope to see you there haha! Btw, do you know where I can fill in the Medical Form B regarding all the immunization and screening tests? I cant seem to find a medical centre which has all the tests required. Thanks!
Yeah, a potential classmate! I saw on your earlier posts that you applied for other schools, what made you decide to choose Flinders in the end?

I am not in a hurry to fill this up tbh, as I am afraid some of the tests might have an "expiry" date? Hence I plan to do it towards the end of the year.
GingerBreadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #23
pickyricky

pickyricky has a neutral reputation

I made the 1st payment too!
pickyricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:50 PM   #24
GingerBreadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyricky View Post
I made the 1st payment too!
Great, will you be doing the 4 year or 6 year program?
Old 07-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #25
pickyricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerBreadman View Post
Great, will you be doing the 4 year or 6 year program?
6 years. You are doing 4 years?
Old 07-13-2017, 12:25 AM   #26
GingerBreadman

Yeah 4 years. Still waiting for other uni's reply?
Old 07-13-2017, 01:03 AM   #27
pickyricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerBreadman View Post
Yeah 4 years. Still waiting for other uni's reply?
Yup UWA or UNSW
Old 07-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #28
unley

unley has a neutral reputation
Default Please reconsider your decision to come

Hey guys, am an Australian medical student here. Saw this post and decided to create an account to reply to everyone.

Firstly, congratulations on being selected for medical school.

Now here is the bummer news. If you guys are able to go to another school, I would very highly encourage you guys to do it. This is because the overall teaching and program seems to be of a much higher quality elsewhere. Yes there is the initial elation of receiving your acceptance letter as many of you guys have spent a fair amount of effort trying to get into medical school. But once that joy has settled, please ask yourself this. Do you want to be a doctor for the sake of being a doctor, or do you want to be a GOOD DOCTOR for the sake of your future patients? Becoming a good doctor requires much input, one of which is the medical school that you graduate from. This is why choosing your medical school is of utmost importance. I cannot overemphasize this. Many medical schools in Australia look upon international students as cash cows to fund their cash strapped programs, why do this to yourself (and/or your parents') hard earned money?

Also, if you are coming to Australia for the intent of staying here to work, please DO NOT COME. In case you have not heard of the internship crisis yet, this means that YOU WILL NOT GET A JOB.

Now, I am sure all of you will have plenty of questions, so please fire away and I will try to answer them as best as I can.
unley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #29
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by unley View Post
Now here is the bummer news. If you guys are able to go to another school, I would very highly encourage you guys to do it. This is because the overall teaching and program seems to be of a much higher quality elsewhere. Yes there is the initial elation of receiving your acceptance letter as many of you guys have spent a fair amount of effort trying to get into medical school. But once that joy has settled, please ask yourself this. Do you want to be a doctor for the sake of being a doctor, or do you want to be a GOOD DOCTOR for the sake of your future patients? Becoming a good doctor requires much input, one of which is the medical school that you graduate from. This is why choosing your medical school is of utmost importance. I cannot overemphasize this. Many medical schools in Australia look upon international students as cash cows to fund their cash strapped programs, why do this to yourself (and/or your parents') hard earned money?

Also, if you are coming to Australia for the intent of staying here to work, please DO NOT COME. In case you have not heard of the internship crisis yet, this means that YOU WILL NOT GET A JOB.
What is the definition of a 'good doctor' as mentioned above?

I am based in NSW not SA so I can't comment on the job prospects in SA. In NSW, I have seen international students that graduated last year getting jobs in metropolitan and rural hospitals; those that didn't manage to get a job in a public hospital did get a job through the CMI, so they are doing their internship in a private hospital. I doubt the exposure and hence the internship experience is comparable to public hospitals but it is still a job. I think a more practical advice for prospective international students wanting to land a job in australia would be to be prepared to travel all over australia including rural locations for their internship and subsequent training. edit: but no one would actually know what might happen in the future. it may get easier/harder to get a job depending on the government policies at that time.

Last edited by hoseh; 07-16-2017 at 04:26 PM.
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #30
GingerBreadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unley View Post
Hey guys, am an Australian medical student here. Saw this post and decided to create an account to reply to everyone.

Firstly, congratulations on being selected for medical school.

Now, I am sure all of you will have plenty of questions, so please fire away and I will try to answer them as best as I can.
Hi Unley, appreciate you creating an account here to share your experience.

May you clarify are you referring to Australian schools in general or specifically Flinders? That's because you mentioned that you are an "Australian medical student here" which is rather vague.

Also, could you expound on the "overall teaching and program" that you were referring to?