BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #41
unknownsoul

unknownsoul has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth123 View Post
Hi, if I'm not wrong, please check with your councillor, UTAS follows the fee-lock system. Not sure if it's the same but that's what I heard!
I sent an email to UTas to enquire. Hopefully they'll reply me.
unknownsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #42
xuruihuai12

xuruihuai12 has a neutral reputation

Does anyone know about the prospects of overseas med students coming back. Heard some rumors floating about that some might not come back to Singapore with a job at local hospitals?
xuruihuai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #43
AerialG

AerialG has a neutral reputation

Hi everyone, I've accepted the offer for UTAS MBBS 2018 since 14 June 2017. Anyone else?

It's a good school. Not only is it more affordable than the other schools for a short 5-year undergrad (with the exception of newcastle), Tasmania is extremely scenic and chill (I've been there) and the result cut-off is really high, with one of the best (if not the best) dissection programme in all of Australia (of course, the definition of 'best' will vary from individual to individual). Cost of living is also a lot lower than other more urbanised states (AKA you're gonna save a lot, albeit less than UK schools due to the lows of GBP in recent years). From some articles I've read, I'm of the impression that there will be really intellectually-inclined students in the small cohort (the small cohort is in itself a huge perk; the better attention and help that you get is definitely going to be really beneficial as a med student. The school doesn't really have enough resources for a larger cohort). The school has the Menzies Research Insitute (renowned for epidemiology), and is the only school in the whole of Tasmania. The latter point is quite a testament to the quality assurance and diverse opportunities you can get as a graduate there, since the whole state depends on doctors graduated from UTAS (excluding interstate and foreign acceptances of course, which is prevalent in most places). And yes, my agent told me that UTAS Med is fee-locked too, yet another boon! What most supports studying MBBS at UTAS is, to me (idk anyone who have studied other courses at UTAS), definitely the appraisals I get from friends and relatives who have studied the MBBS here; None of them regrets their decision and when asked if given a chance to choose again, all of them answered that they'll choose UTAS again.

And if you guys would refer to this:
http://www.easb.edu.sg/publications/...%202014_R1.pdf

The above is a case study of the brand recognition of UTAS medical school (page 46 to 69). The study shows the lack of branding efforts on a part of UTAS, which causes the ranking of UTAS to severely undermine the actual quality of medical education there; They haven't put in efforts to advertise their strong points to the world. So really, aside from the fact that graduating from brand medical schools aren't that important in your career, UTAS's brand and ranking are not accurate indicators of the quality of the education and experience there. UTAS has such a good mix of everything - Don't let branding dominate or cloud your pursuit of a good medical education. Basic recognition wise, UTAS is very internationally recognized and most places have UTAS in the list of accepted medical schools for aspects of easier licensure and/or recognized medical training for IMGs in the US, Singapore, Ireland and UK (I would know because I'm keeping my residency options open for my family's migration plans; leaning towards USA since the country doesn't accept residency training outside of their country, with other countries being more open about this). Paying that (almost) 200k SGD worth of tuition and living fees to study at Adelaide or UNSW may not actually be paying for much at all. Peace out.

Last edited by AerialG; 08-15-2017 at 10:48 PM.
AerialG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:38 AM   #44
unknownsoul

unknownsoul has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialG View Post
Hi everyone, I've accepted the offer for UTAS MBBS 2018 since 14 June 2017. Anyone else?

It's a good school. Not only is it more affordable than the other schools for a short 5-year undergrad (with the exception of newcastle), Tasmania is extremely scenic and chill (I've been there) and the result cut-off is really high, with one of the best (if not the best) dissection programme in all of Australia (of course, the definition of 'best' will vary from individual to individual). Cost of living is also a lot lower than other more urbanised states (AKA you're gonna save a lot, albeit less than UK schools due to the lows of GBP in recent years). From some articles I've read, I'm of the impression that there will be really intellectually-inclined students in the small cohort (the small cohort is in itself a huge perk; the better attention and help that you get is definitely going to be really beneficial as a med student. The school doesn't really have enough resources for a larger cohort). The school has the Menzies Research Insitute (renowned for epidemiology), and is the only school in the whole of Tasmania. The latter point is quite a testament to the quality assurance and diverse opportunities you can get as a graduate there, since the whole state depends on doctors graduated from UTAS (excluding interstate and foreign acceptances of course, which is prevalent in most places). And yes, my agent told me that UTAS Med is fee-locked too, yet another boon! What most supports studying MBBS at UTAS is, to me (idk anyone who have studied other courses at UTAS), definitely the appraisals I get from friends and relatives who have studied the MBBS here; None of them regrets their decision and when asked if given a chance to choose again, all of them answered that they'll choose UTAS again.

And if you guys would refer to this:
http://www.easb.edu.sg/publications/...%202014_R1.pdf

The above is a case study of the brand recognition of UTAS medical school (page 46 to 69). The study shows the lack of branding efforts on a part of UTAS, which causes the ranking of UTAS to severely undermine the actual quality of medical education there; They haven't put in efforts to advertise their strong points to the world. So really, aside from the fact that graduating from brand medical schools aren't that important in your career, UTAS's brand and ranking are not accurate indicators of the quality of the education and experience there. UTAS has such a good mix of everything - Don't let branding dominate or cloud your pursuit of a good medical education. Basic recognition wise, UTAS is very internationally recognized and most places have UTAS in the list of accepted medical schools for aspects of easier licensure and/or recognized medical training for IMGs in the US, Singapore, Ireland and UK (I would know because I'm keeping my residency options open for my family's migration plans; leaning towards USA since the country doesn't accept residency training outside of their country, with other countries being more open about this). Paying that (almost) 200k SGD worth of tuition and living fees to study at Adelaide or UNSW may not actually be paying for much at all. Peace out.
Hi there!! I accepted UTAS offer a few days ago. Will you be applying to Jane Franklin hall? The advisor from UTAS, Mr Pang, advised me to apply there. How about you?
unknownsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #45
aussieMD

aussieMD has a neutral reputation

https://dayre.me/rieriecupcakes/455qh8wTNi

Last edited by aussieMD; 09-06-2017 at 01:35 AM. Reason: -
aussieMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #46
Sylvianaz

Sylvianaz has a neutral reputation

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I don't see many UTAS threads. But just wondering if anyone applied to the Laboratory Medicine programme at Launceston? Anyone going in 2018 Feb?
Sylvianaz is offline   Reply With Quote