BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
Edmonton

Edmonton has a neutral reputation
Default Medical School Abroad with Local Pass Degree

Hi all,

I graduated in 2015 with a Bsc from NUS, and as it was not my passion and having some personal health issues along the way, I graduated with a CAP of 2.8. This qualified me for a pass degree.

Since then, I have some work experience and have decided to pursue my dreams of going to medical school. My concern is that due to my low CAP, I would not be able to pursue graduate medicine in most graduate medical schools. Also, My A level results are not stellar as well (A/B/C/D). Although I would like to attend graduate medical school, I would not mind undergoing an undergraduate medicine programme. I plan to sit for the MCAT as well, and any other tests/prerequisites that are needed.

My worries are that I would not qualify and would like to get some opinions from the community here. The Medical degree I would like would have to be SMC approved as I plan on returning to Singapore after my studies.

I would prefer Australian/UK/US/Canadian colleges.

Please advise. Thank you.
Edmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
Edmonton

Default Medicine Overseas Application

Hi all,

I graduated in 2015 with a Bsc from NUS, and as it was not my passion and having some personal health issues along the way, I graduated with a CAP of 2.8. This qualified me for a pass degree.

Since then, I have some work experience and have decided to pursue my dreams of going to medical school. My concern is that due to my low CAP, I would not be able to pursue graduate medicine in most graduate medical schools. Also, My A level results are not stellar as well (A/B/C/D). Although I would like to attend graduate medical school, I would not mind undergoing an undergraduate medicine programme. I plan to sit for the MCAT as well, and any other tests/prerequisites that are needed.

My worries are that I would not qualify and would like to get some opinions from the community here. The Medical degree I would like would have to be SMC approved as I plan on returning to Singapore after my studies.

I would prefer Australian/UK/US/Canadian colleges.

Please advise. Thank you.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

You forget to list budget or you don't mind paying $500k
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
Edmonton

I would not mind working part time whilst studying. I plan to matriculate in 2018/2019, so have some savings. 500k is my max.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:22 AM   #5
patryn33

with a CAP of 2.8. you have to weed out Canadian Uni 1st. Most Canadian Uni does not take international students today iirc.

USA - 38 Med school your CAP is low, Bsc without meeting PreMed requirement you have to ax it out too. USA no undergrad Med.

if U surveyed the thread here many ppl looked at Ireland cause admission requirement seem little more relax. Other Uni in other countries maybe relax but I don't have the info. You have to start your research and ask specific qns here. Most ppl here kinda know where they wanna go.

http://www.healthprofessionals.gov.s...ifications.pdf

don't count on working there to come up with 500K, Med school keep you busy unless U know for a fact you can handle the load easily despite the the poor CAP you have today.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #6
Edmonton

Thanks for the info. Im also considering doing a foundation programme before Australian med school, or even redoing my A levels (worst case scenario).

As for the costs, I do have savings but of course, it will be better to study locally due to the high fees, but I doubt I have a chance locally, so I am considering overseas studies.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
Curio

Curio has a neutral reputation

Why medicine?
Curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curio View Post
Why medicine?
I've always had an interest and passion for the medical field. I had an undiagnosed condition that interfered with my studies and my life - leading to numerous problems. On top of that, one of my parents suffer from another condition. (for privacy reasons, i shall not name both conditions). It was only after graduation and work that I was totally incapacitated and sought medical help. These doctors changed my life completely. It was like a veil had lifted on my life and suddenly everything could be explained. I owe my life to these doctors (literally) and I would not want another person to go through what I did. At my time of need, I had no one to turn to, and these were the only people who actually cared about me. I wish to give another the same chance I had.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
patryn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton View Post
Thanks for the info. Im also considering doing a foundation programme before Australian med school, or even redoing my A levels (worst case scenario).

As for the costs, I do have savings but of course, it will be better to study locally due to the high fees, but I doubt I have a chance locally, so I am considering overseas studies.
Thru As and uni you could save up to 500k, low CAP but you better suited to do biz and offer free med services to those in need
Old 07-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #10
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

Try the australian unis as early as possible because fees will only go up each year.

There are a couple of australian unis (undergrad degrees) that accept those with a prior degree. Ask around or go to an agent.

But applying to and possibly entering med school without the impression you mentioned above would be helpful as it may not be as glorified as you think. Sure when people get interviewed on the news or something they often mentioned how they got saved by certain doctors but i am pretty sure they don't experience that kind of life-saving epiphany every day of their career.
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote