BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
iamstrong
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 32
iamstrong has a neutral reputation
Default

guys, how is the employent prospect for monash students in singapore??
iamstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
Undercover
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 32
Undercover has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamstrong View Post
guys, how is the employent prospect for monash students in singapore??
Quite bad. Monash is ranked consistently pretty low in the time university ranking, and QS university ranking. In singapore, the perception is that one goes to an australian university (e.g. UMelb) because one cannot get into a local university. Monash is another significant tier below UMelb.

That said however, it is a recognized degree. I would say the employment prospects are about the same as SIM graduates.
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
iamstrong
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 32
iamstrong has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
Quite bad. Monash is ranked consistently pretty low in the time university ranking, and QS university ranking. In singapore, the perception is that one goes to an australian university (e.g. UMelb) because one cannot get into a local university. Monash is another significant tier below UMelb.

That said however, it is a recognized degree. I would say the employment prospects are about the same as SIM graduates.
does ranking realli matter ?
iamstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
justinbeiber
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
justinbeiber has a neutral reputation
Default

I'd think school and course prestige do matter. Afterall, employers are humans, and they judge.
justinbeiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
yeosu
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 50
yeosu has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
That said however, it is a recognized degree. I would say the employment prospects are about the same as SIM graduates.
I disagree. Go8 graduates are generally much more recognized than SIM graduates. There's a big difference between studying on-campus and distance-learning. I've seen Singaporean grads from Go8 universities working in IB FO but I've yet to see any SIM grads making it there.

In fact, private sector employers might favour you because
- Some employers are very keen to hire grads with overseas experience
- Australian universities are better known internationally than Singaporean universities (not everyone is so hung up on rankings)
yeosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
iamstrong
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 32
iamstrong has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbeiber View Post
I'd think school and course prestige do matter. Afterall, employers are humans, and they judge.
dude, they are judge..but they emphasize more on ur abilities than ur school name..u graduated from havard but u only know how to memorise the facts blindly, compared to one who graduated from less well known uni but shown some real capabilities.
iamstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #27
patryn33
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: not in SG!!!
Posts: 938
patryn33 has a neutral reputation
Default

if U grad from Harvard, my cousin is in HR... they don't even interview just call up asking for compensation expectation! Dude may know facts by hard promotion is still faster than those that did perform better.

She was in 2 different companies and saw that happening 2X with ppl from top uni. having said so different company does it differently, she maybe unlikely to experience that.

Some Company welcome ivy grad with open arms.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
dleesy
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 89
dleesy has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
if U grad from Harvard, my cousin is in HR... they don't even interview just call up asking for compensation expectation! Dude may know facts by hard promotion is still faster than those that did perform better.

She was in 2 different companies and saw that happening 2X with ppl from top uni. having said so different company does it differently, she maybe unlikely to experience that.

Some Company welcome ivy grad with open arms.
Oh really? some1 working in gov...those Cambridge(law) students also "half empty"?
dleesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #29
YourGraceIsEnough
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 15
YourGraceIsEnough has a neutral reputation
Default

Is anyone going to monash in 2015?
YourGraceIsEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #30
eramanda
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 10
eramanda has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourGraceIsEnough View Post
Is anyone going to monash in 2015?
Hey! I'll be starting school at Monash in 2015!
eramanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.