BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
MsVetStudent

MsVetStudent has a neutral reputation
Default Veterinary Science/Medicine : More about a career as a vet

Hi all,

I am currently a vet student studying in Australia. I'm welcome to any people asking me about a pathway that not many people embark on and please feel free to ask questions! I know how daunting applying to university can be...
MsVetStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
oxl90

oxl90 has a neutral reputation

hi. there are several things i would wish to enquire about:

Firstly, which aus university are you in? is it a 5 or 6-yr course? what are the estimated annual fees (S$) including living expenses? How many international students do your uni take in annually? Are you under any scholarship?

Secondly, i understand that most pre-requisites of A'levels for vet science are at least an AAB for 3subjects. if you're comfortable, may i kindly enquire about your A'level results and subject combination?

Thirdly, i vagely know that there are several application phases. Which month did you submit your application and when were you successfully offered ur course? Is there additional essay tests or interviews after a successful application?

Fourthly, did you have any prior animal-related job/voluntary experiences/attachments? (e.g. to vet clinics, animal shelters etc) If you do, how long was your experience/attachment/service?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your patience and i hope you can enlighten me! good luck with your studies.

Last edited by oxl90; 08-01-2008 at 12:04 AM.
oxl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
txru

txru has a neutral reputation
Smile

Hello, I'm applying for vet school soon too and I've got a few questions.
1. What are the application procedures for aust unis? I heard term starts in feb but isnt that before A levels are released?
2. Are you on the AVA scholarship?
3. Is getting into vet school really difficult/competitive? Will my application be affected if I'm applying to UK too?

thank you! hope you have time to reply, I heard school is tough
txru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
chui

chui has a neutral reputation

Hi MsVetStudent,
You may have probably been asked this question many time before, but I'll still ask it anyway since I'm really confused (:
I know that there are two semesters each year for VetScience, but for Singaporeans who wish to apply for the pre-vet stream, when are we supposed to apply? Cos I'm getting a little anxious about the application dates since there's one coming up on September 25 2008, and I have absolutely no idea when Singaporean students are supposed to apply (:
Also, which path is better? For Univesity of Melbourne, they offer 2 pathways, the pre-vet stream, and the Bachelor of Science (1st year) route. If I can't make the cut for the pre-vet stream, should I apply through the Bachelor of Science stream instead and work really hard to get into the Bachelor of Vet Science at the end of 1st year Bachelor of Science?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by chui; 08-21-2008 at 05:50 PM.
chui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
MsVetStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chui View Post
Hi MsVetStudent,
You may have probably been asked this question many time before, but I'll still ask it anyway since I'm really confused (:
I know that there are two semesters each year for VetScience, but for Singaporeans who wish to apply for the pre-vet stream, when are we supposed to apply? Cos I'm getting a little anxious about the application dates since there's one coming up on September 25 2008, and I have absolutely no idea when Singaporean students are supposed to apply (:
Also, which path is better? For Univesity of Melbourne, they offer 2 pathways, the pre-vet stream, and the Bachelor of Science (1st year) route. If I can't make the cut for the pre-vet stream, should I apply through the Bachelor of Science stream instead and work really hard to get into the Bachelor of Vet Science at the end of 1st year Bachelor of Science?
Thanks for your help!
Hi Chui - generally all the info about each intake are on the uni websites. THough Australia may have two semesters in which you may commence
your study, for some courses you only get to start in one. For example, Vet Science in some unis is only offered for start in the March Semester.

You just apply whenever you receive your A level results - this may mean even 2010 March. If you want to make it for the 2009 March semester, check with your uni if they offer you conditional offers with your predicted grades. THings vary from uni to uni, so its not easy to say.

I'm not sure about your MElbourne route as this is fairly new, but if you want a guaranteed stay in your course, you can always try other unis like Murdoch, Sydney, Queensland if you aren't confident. I'm sure there are many pathways in which you can transfer - but once again you have to source your uni websites and email the relevant admissions officers - these will always differ.

Medical science, Animal and Vet Bioscience...these are just some streams that I've heard of people transferring from.

I hope this was useful. When I was applying to my uni, I found that emailing the faculties and just sourcing the websites gave the most information to make a decided choice. I'm sure that regardless of which vet school you get into though, you'll enjoy your experience.

I generally tried to also ask people who were already in their clinical years - when you talk to people however, know that the best school is almost always the one they go to.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
valzie

valzie has a neutral reputation
Default Questions

Hi MsVetStudent

I was just wondering, where do you get your contacts from? I mean the clinical people you talk to.

Regarding work experience, did you have any when you applied?

Also are you on a scholarship and does a lack of scholarship strain finances? Thank you

Valzie
valzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
MsVetStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by valzie View Post
Hi MsVetStudent

I was just wondering, where do you get your contacts from? I mean the clinical people you talk to.

Regarding work experience, did you have any when you applied?

Also are you on a scholarship and does a lack of scholarship strain finances? Thank you

Valzie
Hi Valzie

I'm not sure what you mean by 'clinical people'. Do you mean the veterinarians you contact when you want clinical experience?

If you're interested in observing a vet clinic before you enter vet school, I suggest you just contact - anyone. Most vets probably understand that many students want to gain experience or insight into the industry, and they're probably used to many returning vet students on holiday also looking for extra opportunities to observe.

Yes, I did have some work experience when I applied to my vet school. This is probably something advantageous for your application, but I would stress this first and foremost - get some exposure in veterinary clinics/farms only because you yourself want to see if this industry suits you, not because you're there to fulfill something you think will spice up your application.

That being said, many people may find that its not a job suited for them - after all, vet school goes way past just petting animals and interacting with them while they're healthy - often you will see animals that are sick or injured.

I'm probably not updated, but are there full scholarships offered for Vet Science/Med? As far as I know, I think there are tuition grants, but not full scholarships as of yet. For the tuition grants, you will only be able to apply for these in your second year onwards, or once you have reached your clinical years, whichever is the case I think. I may be very outdated on this though, so its best if you just source online and check this out.

That said, taking a scholarship/grant should be considered first, because if you ever want to partake in further studies/do a overseas locum right after you graduate, you would need yourself to be free and not tied down by a hefty bond. In most cases though, I'm sure serving the bond would be better than having no opportunity to study something as great as Vet Science at all!

I can't personally tell you if it puts a financial strain - this varies from person to person. I'm sure there are certainly people who struggle, but I'm sure there are also people out there who have parents more than happy to provide for their fees. It is a considerably pricey course, but try to consider that you are learning a lot and that there are a lot of practicals and labs that make this the case.

Best of luck with your application to vet school and I hope this helps!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
valzie

Default Thanks

it certainly helped, thanks!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:38 AM   #9
valzie

Default work experience

Hi I want to look for veterinary work experience and I remember you mentioned you did have some experience.. How did you go about getting it? I have tried emailing and asking clinics and they all only accept vet students only. Thank you for any help!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:19 AM   #10
nala

nala has a neutral reputation
Post Requesting for help

hello! requesting for help by any experienced ppl.

i'm waiting for my A level results next yr and i've applied to University of Queensland to study vet sci course during the Study In Australia Open Day. however, i've yet been contacted by the counsellor. so does that mean i've been rejected?

in addition, since it was my first attempt in university application, i wasn't well prepared. i gave them my prelims result instead of a 'forecast', they didn't request for any reference or testimonials either. does these additional materials matter?

i would also like to ask if application for vet sci course to UK universities is still possible even after 15th october? yup i missed the deadline. didn't do much research then since was preparing for the A levels. i'm quite disappointed that i missed it. does this means that even if i've received my actual A level results i'm unable to apply anymore for 2009 intake?

thanks alot!
nala
nala is offline   Reply With Quote