BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #21
nala

nala has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelz90 View Post
is glasgow nice? Oh ya, can I know the estimate cost of living and the fees if I go to UK for vet courses? Thank you. What are the rumours for queesland?
lol. i haven't been there yet! haha. jz did my research of d area. well i love d uni campus! it's pretty. hahaha. many would say edinburgh is better than glasgow for vet med uni in scotland. u cn chk tt out in d times university guide. depending on what u r interested in. for me glagsow was d 1st uni out of 4 tt i considered. hehe. d campus (it mz appeal to me rofl), then d ranking, d teaching structure/quality.

ahhh. for glasgow, d tuition fees r 18,750pounds per yr for 5 yrs. i don't think there's a large difference in d fees across uk uni. ard plus minus 2k pounds ba. d cost of living depends. some says it would cost lesser out of london, some says it's nt accurate. for my accommodation, it's catered n nxt to my vet sch so i cn save a lil on transport n of course, food! i cnt cook u see. haha. i guess u cn ask ard seniors or students alrdy in uni to help u w d cost of living qns?

a gd place to get ur qns answered wud b d forum at TSR. thestudentforum. lots of ppl will help u w ur qns.

ahh. as for d rumor abt queensland. haha i'm nt exactly sure it happened bt it is rumoured tt a few yrs ago d ved med faculty almost closed dwn. i hope i don't get into trouble for this. >___<

anyway i think this is d thread for aus n nt for uk. try asking under uk uni thread?

Last edited by nala; 07-21-2009 at 06:12 PM.
nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #22
Banehallow

Banehallow has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nala View Post

ahh. as for d rumor abt queensland. haha i'm nt exactly sure it happened bt it is rumoured tt a few yrs ago d ved med faculty almost closed dwn. i hope i don't get into trouble for this. >___<
I have never heard of that rumor before though I am curious as to where you heard it from?
Banehallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #23
nala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banehallow View Post
I have never heard of that rumor before though I am curious as to where you heard it from?
of course from d senior vets! but u don't have to believe it though. i'm nt trying to psycho anyone n get into trouble.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #24
angelz90

angelz90 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
a gd place to get ur qns answered wud b d forum at TSR. thestudentforum. lots of ppl will help u w ur qns.

erm.. can i hav the website please?
angelz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #25
Banehallow

Quote:
of course from d senior vets! but u don't have to believe it though. i'm nt trying to psycho anyone n get into trouble.
I think it is a rumor, nothing more. Vet school licensing is not something a university will lose overnight, usually AVA will give warnings or voice out whats wrong and the uni will act on it.

The only thing about UQ vet school is that it has yet to attain AVMA accreditation. Of the 4 major vet school in Australia only UQ has yet to get it, all the rest Murdoch, Sydney, Melbourne all have it already. AFAIK next year the UQ vet school moves to Gatton (super ulu farm land in the middle of nowhere) they will start the AVMA accreditation process.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #26
nala

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelz90 View Post
erm.. can i hav the website please?
www.thestudentroom.co.uk/
Old 07-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #27
nala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banehallow View Post
The only thing about UQ vet school is that it has yet to attain AVMA accreditation. Of the 4 major vet school in Australia only UQ has yet to get it, all the rest Murdoch, Sydney, Melbourne all have it already. AFAIK next year the UQ vet school moves to Gatton (super ulu farm land in the middle of nowhere) they will start the AVMA accreditation process.
ah! i see. lols. i had actually thought they were AVMA accreditated, since AVA recognised d vet med degree frm UQ. thanks for d info anyway! haha.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #28
Banehallow

Quote:
ah! i see. lols. i had actually thought they were AVMA accreditated, since AVA recognised d vet med degree frm UQ. thanks for d info anyway! haha.
UQ beh kan...

But frankly, unless you wanna go America to work then AVMA accreditation will be quite useful since you only need to take NAVLE. If you graduated from non AVMA accredited uni then you will need to take more exams and more pracs before they will give you license to practice in America.

I dont forsee myself going to America and UQ is quite cheap so it makes sense for me to study at UQ
Old 09-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #29
Johnson

Johnson has a neutral reputation

i have a question to ask.
Do all the universities in aust consider only A level students?
In other words, Diploma students unless they are under relevant course if not they will not be allow to enter the vet course in uni?

I am a polytechnic student currently studying under Molecular Biotechnology and i realised that it isnt the course that i really wanna study. What I am actually interested in Vet course. FYI, during the selection of the poly course which is year 2008, TP lowered the cut off point for Vet Tech to 10 points which I didn't not manage to get in. I applied for scholarship that is offered from AVA but I wasnt successful in the application. I emailed them regarding the criteria that they are looking in students but they didnt reply me. So I came to this conclusion that is diploma students not capable of being a vet?
Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #30
Banehallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
i have a question to ask.
Do all the universities in aust consider only A level students?
In other words, Diploma students unless they are under relevant course if not they will not be allow to enter the vet course in uni?

I am a polytechnic student currently studying under Molecular Biotechnology and i realised that it isnt the course that i really wanna study. What I am actually interested in Vet course. FYI, during the selection of the poly course which is year 2008, TP lowered the cut off point for Vet Tech to 10 points which I didn't not manage to get in. I applied for scholarship that is offered from AVA but I wasnt successful in the application. I emailed them regarding the criteria that they are looking in students but they didnt reply me. So I came to this conclusion that is diploma students not capable of being a vet?
For now, Australian veterinary schools only take in A-lvl students. For polytechnic students with relevant diplomas, it is possible to do a vet tech degree for a year and then upgrade into vet science and claim credits.

It is irrelevant whether you are diploma, A-lvl or O lvl holder. What matters most is your resolve, how badly do you want a vet degree?