BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
mabopoplop

mabopoplop has a neutral reputation
Smile Anyone can share their experience studying psych in uk or aus?

Hi , actually i am studying psych in nus now, but dont really enjoy my time here in singapore because of the intense competition, bell curve system and lack of friends. My dream all along was to go overseas to study. And i really hope to be able to transfer out to a overseas uni. Do you think it is worth to transfer out or just continue my studies in Singapore?
mabopoplop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
nady_reply

nady_reply has a neutral reputation

Personally I'll lean towards UK for psych especially if you can enter the better unis like UCL or King's. Better degree recognition in Singapore. Would definitely recommend you to go overseas if you can afford it.
nady_reply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #13
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

better Uni always have intense competition.
bell curve exist in all Uni may it be UK, OZ, Canada, USA...
going to a new environment wouldn't it be harder making friends?

if U want to invest in a small college, maybe making friends is 'easier' and knowing prof is 'easier'.

NUS has about 28000 undegrads
UofMelb ~38000 students total so its pretty comparable.

why would going to UofMleb be better? expenses is at aud$50k+ a yr.
U know its a 3yr program honors can be very competitive.
http://psych.unimelb.edu.au/

Last edited by patryn33; 03-11-2015 at 10:39 PM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #14
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Well, if you can transfer out to a university that is of a better standing than NUS, then go for it. If not, you might come back finding it difficult to get a job. NUS competition intense meh. Didnt they just make it easier for the students last year by giving more honours and allowing a gradeless first year? IMO, I dont think the humanities or social science here in Singapore universities is that competitive.

I mean, if you compare it to any other STEM courses, or actually just any other courses, the social sciences is probably the least competitive in terms of studies here. Science and engin have it harder.
Architecture and Art/Design has much more work to produce. Not only must they mug and do research, they also have to be in the workshop to actually make things.
Business is more competitive due to the larger number of top students and the presentations. The corporate world is a cutthroat world.

Social science and humanities come in dead last in terms of inter-student competition. A large part of the grade is derived from take-home assignments like essays and research papers where you get to sit at home and think and have access to a plethora of information on the web. Unlike the time-based pressure-cook testing system that Science/engin students are put through.

I apologise if I sound condescending, but I was from engineering and I am now in humanities and the difference in stress-levels is really light years apart. The ones who I see suffer in humanities/social science simply do not have the creative ability to effectively critique and develop their arguments in their essays/research, because for the first time in their lives, the answer is not in the textbook, it must be developed on their own. Or when it comes to finals, they simply do not understand the theory completely. Memorizing becomes futile due to the sheer breadth of content, but once understanding is attained, finals become pretty easy for the humanities. IMO, going overseas wont make you smarter, in fact, you'd still be the same. But no fret! They're more liberal with giving out good grades there, so at least you'll feel smart.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #15
nady_reply

nady_reply has a neutral reputation

havok_ex: you're from NTU HSS isn't it? I'm not sure if your experience is comparable to NUS. imo, psychology at NUS is very (unnecessarily?) competitive. I dare say more so than other majors in FASS.

some food for thought about studying overseas, while not about psych specifically, a lot of it still holds true.
A singaporean's experience - NUS vs Australia
US university vs Local university - a transfer student's experience
Article: The State of NUS Lectures
Straits Times - Why employers shun local graduates
nady_reply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #16
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Different ppl experiences with uni can be very different

While I agree with some pts the above authors made, I also have pts I disagree.
Experience with diff prof can be very different too.

I have come across absent minded prof in states who kept forgetting what he said 5 mins ago. I met very good ones too.

Again the better the uni and if one strive for gpa 3.9 it's going to be competitive. With top 200 uni in usnews only ~5% or less grad with such gpa. Without terminal masters in psychology most successful applicant to phd have such gpa.

Even with engineering an uni such as uiuc wouldn't even consider you if one gpa is less than a 3.7. b+ is like 3.33. If one seeks to do well it is going to be competitive. Prof caring? Provided you show up in office hours and ask.

Complain the use of power point? I have come across prof who use power pt in the states.
Teaching style may differ, I knew ppl who fail to excel in UOL external but excel in UWA and LSE. I also know ppl who also fail to excel in uofmelb biz, and others who did a electronics degree but no idea how to install an OS from a U.K. uni who produce a few Nobel pricze laureates

On articles on employers shunt local grads with FT coming in... Is cost a factor. The story very one sided. I met grads going to HK as there are more opportunities and career growth for a NTU or NUS grad.

it's really difficult to justify overseas must be good, it really boils down to individual and his or her attitude towards learning.

Last edited by patryn33; 03-12-2015 at 09:45 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #17
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nady_reply View Post
havok_ex: you're from NTU HSS isn't it? I'm not sure if your experience is comparable to NUS. imo, psychology at NUS is very (unnecessarily?) competitive. I dare say more so than other majors in FASS.

some food for thought about studying overseas, while not about psych specifically, a lot of it still holds true.
A singaporean's experience - NUS vs Australia
US university vs Local university - a transfer student's experience
Article: The State of NUS Lectures
Straits Times - Why employers shun local graduates
All the examples you gave was for engineering. As to the fact of how psychology is competitive, I still cant grapple with that claim. You cant even say that NUS has smarter students since NTU's psychology IGP has risen past or is at least at the same level as NUS FASS.

How isit competitive? Too much readings? But its just readings. Time-constrained tests like in engineering where the finals is 80% of the grade? Just because you dont do as well as your peers, you cant just blame it on 'competitiveness'.

If we assume that the grade distribution for both schools are the same, and the quality of both students are the same(from the IGP we can say this), then how is it that NUS psych is more competitive than NTU psych?
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:50 AM   #18
Pei Shan

Pei Shan has a neutral reputation
Default Anyone going to UniMelb in Feb 2018?

Hi! I'm heading to University of Melbourne in 2018 Feb. Anyone else heading there at the same time? Looking to make new friends and share accommodation etc, etc Hit me up at [email protected]!
Pei Shan is offline   Reply With Quote