BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Singaporeclubau

Singaporeclubau has a neutral reputation
Default Singapore Club in Australia: Helping Singaporeans in Sydney

Hi we are a group of singaporeans currently in Australia and we are keen to help Singaporeans who want to migrate to Australia.

If you are Singaporean who thinking of migrating to Australia or Singaporeans already in Australia, we would like to hear from you.

We are based in Sydney NSW initially and we are completely self funded and operated by volunteers. We have just started a website and hope to reach out to all singaporeans

Thanks for looking

Any questions just reply to this thread or simply visit our website and leave a comment.

Thanks!

Last edited by Singaporeclubau; 03-03-2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
Singaporeclubau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Thank you for offering your services here.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Singaporeclubau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
Thank you for offering your services here.
Thanks! We are always glad to help!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Irenicis

Irenicis has a neutral reputation

Hi,

If i complete my undergraduate studies in australia, what is the longest period of time I can remain there for?

Also, how do I go about extending the above-mentioned period of time?
Irenicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Singaporeclubau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicis View Post
Hi,

If i complete my undergraduate studies in australia, what is the longest period of time I can remain there for?

Also, how do I go about extending the above-mentioned period of time?
From past experience, if you do nothing usually you are allowed to stay till the end of your student visa.

there is now a new visa class of visa: Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485)

Search for this visa at the australia immigration website (i can provide link if necessary)

this allows a graduate additional 18mths stay in Australia while they try to gain employment and prepare their PR application

The old way which i did was to go back to Singapore and apply pr in singapore.

However, everyone's different and each application is usually assessed on individual merit.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Irenicis

Irenicis has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singaporeclubau View Post
From past experience, if you do nothing usually you are allowed to stay till the end of your student visa.

there is now a new visa class of visa: Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485)

Search for this visa at the australia immigration website (i can provide link if necessary)

this allows a graduate additional 18mths stay in Australia while they try to gain employment and prepare their PR application

The old way which i did was to go back to Singapore and apply pr in singapore.

However, everyone's different and each application is usually assessed on individual merit.
Thanks. Is this the only option for someone who just graduated from an Australian university?
Irenicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
Singaporeclubau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicis View Post
Thanks. Is this the only option for someone who just graduated from an Australian university?
There are really many options. really depending on your own individual circumstances..

It really depends on wat course you study, some in demand skills, there is a special category for them.

Some are lucky and got employers to sponser them.

if you are cashed up, you can choose to enter via the business way.

Some ppl enter via family way as they have family/friends/bf/gf/husband/wife in australia.

the best way is to take some time to have a look at the immi website, see which category of visa is suitable for you, download the revelant booklet revelant to you, if you still have more questions.

i suggest sitting down talking to someone on the options avaliable to you, we can try to arrange for someone to talk to you but we are not migration agents and cannnot legally help you with migration application we can only tell you what our experience in the process is.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
trapped

trapped has a neutral reputation

Let's just face it: its incredibly tough to even obtain Aussie PR.

Unless you are studying a course that allows you to work in one of Australia's designated skilled occupation list (i.e. accountancy, vet science, midwifery, etc), your chances of getting PR is very slim.

The easiest or most clear-cut option would be to do it via investment (you have to be wealthy enough to invest in their property or business there) or marry an Aussie.

Nonetheless, good luck to applying for PR!
trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Singaporeclubau

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapped View Post
Let's just face it: its incredibly tough to even obtain Aussie PR.

Unless you are studying a course that allows you to work in one of Australia's designated skilled occupation list (i.e. accountancy, vet science, midwifery, etc), your chances of getting PR is very slim.

The easiest or most clear-cut option would be to do it via investment (you have to be wealthy enough to invest in their property or business there) or marry an Aussie.

Nonetheless, good luck to applying for PR!
I have to disagree with your statement. Anything is possible, the easiest or most clear cut way for one person is not always the easiest way for another because each case is assessed based on own individual merit and no two person are the same.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Strudel

Strudel has a neutral reputation

Not knowing how much the system has changed, I still think its not that hard to get PR if you really want it. The new TR system I believe is to help those that genuinely wish to stay to have a chance even when they dont have enough points.

Having said that, IELTS is a small problem now with the minimum requirement being 8 for every section. This should not be an issue for Singaporeans but some might need to try a few times. I would rate typical Singaporean thats able to study in Aus an easy 7. I think this IELTS is a money sucker... I dont think the local can get min 8 for every section that easily.

Personally I applied for mine myself upon graduating from UQ and took me only 3 months. But this was 5 years ago.
Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote