BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > Australia
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
Singaporeclubau

Singaporeclubau has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strudel View Post
Not knowing how much the system has changed, I still think its not that hard to get PR if you really want it. The new TR system I believe is to help those that genuinely wish to stay to have a chance even when they dont have enough points.

Having said that, IELTS is a small problem now with the minimum requirement being 8 for every section. This should not be an issue for Singaporeans but some might need to try a few times. I would rate typical Singaporean thats able to study in Aus an easy 7. I think this IELTS is a money sucker... I dont think the local can get min 8 for every section that easily.

Personally I applied for mine myself upon graduating from UQ and took me only 3 months. But this was 5 years ago.
hi Strudel... good to hear from you, yes the system has changed as many ppl abuse the system, and for now it only ensure that only real qualified ppl can enter..

so how are you settling at QLD? do visit our website and send us an email (check me profile), we would like to know more singaporeans from other states as well..

thanks!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
Strudel

Strudel has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singaporeclubau View Post
hi Strudel... good to hear from you, yes the system has changed as many ppl abuse the system, and for now it only ensure that only real qualified ppl can enter..

so how are you settling at QLD? do visit our website and send us an email (check me profile), we would like to know more singaporeans from other states as well..

thanks!!!
Very nice. I've been helping people out on forums as well for a while. Typically Singaporeans coming to Brisbane and 1 other in Melbourne.

Its good to see somebody's putting in an effort to do a website for common questions ask as I find myself repeating a lot of the same answers to different people all the time.

Everything's working out pretty well for me especially with the mining boom. I work for a Coal Preparation Plant consultant. My company treats everyone really well too. As a matter of fact, I havent really come across any form of discrimination throughout my stay in Brisbane.

I'd say living and working in Australia isnt gonna make you very rich but will provide a stable and mid-class income easily.
Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Singaporeclubau

Singaporeclubau has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strudel View Post
Very nice. I've been helping people out on forums as well for a while. Typically Singaporeans coming to Brisbane and 1 other in Melbourne.

Its good to see somebody's putting in an effort to do a website for common questions ask as I find myself repeating a lot of the same answers to different people all the time.

Everything's working out pretty well for me especially with the mining boom. I work for a Coal Preparation Plant consultant. My company treats everyone really well too. As a matter of fact, I havent really come across any form of discrimination throughout my stay in Brisbane.

I'd say living and working in Australia isnt gonna make you very rich but will provide a stable and mid-class income easily.
good to hear that.. this proves that singaporeans are generally helpful
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
BobbyBelleBourbon

BobbyBelleBourbon has a neutral reputation

Hub is going to register for IELTS on Sat. And he need a 8 to hit 65 points. OMFG!!!
BobbyBelleBourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
Strudel

Strudel has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBelleBourbon View Post
Hub is going to register for IELTS on Sat. And he need a 8 to hit 65 points. OMFG!!!
He not only need 8 but min 8 for every section as oppose to just 8 average.

Someone in the club has posted an update on migration rule recently and I have confirmed that the news is true.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

After July, not only do you need to apply and meet all the requirement of the application, you will need to express your interests and wait for an invitation to apply for PR.
Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
Macavity

Macavity has a neutral reputation
Default Med student seeking advice for move to Sydney with my partner

Hi guys,

I will be attending the 2013 graduate entry Sydney medical program. My spouse will be coming with me on a dependent visa.

1.) My primary concern is how she can spend her time meaningfully. The dependent pass allows her to work for up to 40 hours over a fortnight. She has a bachelors of arts degree and 3 years working experience. What are her chances of obtaining work; specifically administrative type of work ?

2.) Is it advisable to buy an apartment in Sydney versus renting? When we return to Singapore, we will most probably sell the apartment, hopefully at least for the price it was bought. I understand that rental market in Sydney is quite tight.

3.) This might be a long shot, for those who are currently enrolled in medical school ,do you have difficulty helping your partner fit in with your medical school friends etc. I will be happy to hear your experiences.

As she has taken this big step to be with me, it is my responsibility to make sure that she can have a meaningful time here. We have no children (yet). Also I intend to return to Singapore to practise at the end my course, as I have aging parents back home.

Thank you very much for your inputs, and feedback.

Macavity
Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #17
clee4956

clee4956 has a neutral reputation

Hi Macavity

Question 1:
If she is looking for admin work, that shouldn't be too hard to look for in Sydney..

Question 2:
If you are only planning to be here for the short term, I wouldn't recommend buying, there are too much hassle in doing so. I suggest that you rent to start off with. Maybe start with a smaller apartment just such a 1 bedder. Near broadway you should be able to rent for around $500 and sometimes $550 for an older 2 bedroom unit near uni. You can try domain.com.au to gauge the cost.
Between your arrival to renting a place, try airbnb.com for a short term place.

Question 3:
If you want to PM me your email, I can hook you up with the Singapore medical students that are already here and maybe they can better answer that question. Alternatively you can join in Temasek Club activities (a social group for Singaporean in Sydney) that I am a member of. You can also join the group on facebook - just search for temasek club.
clee4956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #18
Macavity

Macavity has a neutral reputation

Hi clee4956,

Thank you very much for your response. I have sent a PM to you.

Regards.
Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
Davin

Davin has a neutral reputation
Default Anyone active?

Hi anyone still active in here?
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #20
clee4956

clee4956 has a neutral reputation

I am still here.