BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
jerichos

jerichos has a neutral reputation

I dont think so

for IT related , yes
jerichos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
sstrawberry

sstrawberry has a neutral reputation

Why are people discussing about what major to take and which course is more versatile?

Just do what you want and what you enjoy most.. Seriously..
sstrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
minicar

minicar has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBlue View Post
Liberal Arts is, essentially, an education in how to think. Though it has the word "arts" in its name, you actually learn a bit of math and a bit of science as well as a bit of arts & humanities. In the course of all that, you learn to how to learn and absorb different things, as well as how to think for yourself and not be perturbed by complexity.

That is not to say that specialized professional education (e.g. finance, accounting, business) doesn't teach you how to think, simply that it teaches you how to think in one particular discipline. That may or may not help you when you try to think about problems outside your field of specialty.

Lib arts grads, on the other hand, have to work extra hard in their first few years to catch up in terms of technical know-how. But after those first few years, I believe lib arts grads will have a long-term advantage as moving up the ladder requires not just technical knowhow, but also the ability to synthesize, debate clearly and deal with complexity.

I don't know if local employers really distrust lib arts grads, but if they do, one can always start at MNCs (many of which, being American, appreciate the lib arts system). Then, after establishing your worth there, you can try
to move to a local employer if that is still your interest.
It's kind of thinking outside the box and finding the question behind the question for Lib Arts studs.
minicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
ultimategg

ultimategg has a neutral reputation

If I want to become a manager for lets say, an insurance company. But what I have is an engineering degree. Would it be possible?
ultimategg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
annahussy

annahussy has a neutral reputation

It's all depends upon the person that In what kind of future he or she want to established? I think for good future major degree is also important. Even though experience also does a matter for getting good opportunity.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Josh Ho

Josh Ho has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimategg View Post
If I want to become a manager for lets say, an insurance company. But what I have is an engineering degree. Would it be possible?
i would say that it is not impossible...i have attended a career talk of a particular insurance company and during the networking session, i remembered that a few of the management personnel actually holds degrees that are not as directly related to management such as engineering degree!

as long as you have the qualities to lead and manage and are willing to attend upgrading lessons/courses, it is definitely possible!

its more of knowing what you are getting into!
Josh Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
n_takumi
Super Moderator

n_takumi has a neutral reputation

Most undergraduate degree programmes confer degrees that are very versatile - most companies' HR do not solely look at the degree accreditation, they looked at a holistic profile of the candidate that they are going to apply. You may have heard of candidates for jobs going through rounds and rounds of interviews which may take weeks to months to land themselves in the job. These rounds and rounds of interviews basically screen candidates for technical/content knowledge to people's relationship/management. Therefore, the basis of your degree may not be as important as in the past, as most companies do offer OJT (on-job-training) to upgrade and update their employees to the latest situation and knowledge for the job.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #18
edwardgledson

edwardgledson has a neutral reputation

One reason why people say it doesn’t really matter what you major in is because experience forms the bottom line of today’s hiring front. Employers care more about work experience than specific subjects studied in school. Choosing a major is something that shouldn’t be taken lightly, but career planning goes beyond what you study in school. Deciding on a major is just the first step toward establishing a foundation that you will build on for the rest of your life. You can read more about the related article on custom essay writing service you can get better idea from there.
edwardgledson is offline   Reply With Quote