BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #21
kukubird

kukubird has a poor reputation

It's up to the prospective students to cast their votes. The proof is in the pudding and their eventual choices mean they have spoken. I understand that reading English may be a problem for you since I never said any job was any less important, in fact I said our cleaning ladies are very important to keep our airport clean or our economy is pretty much doomed and much less did I mention anything about learning. Anyone can learn from anyone else about life experiences. We're talking objectively about JOBS here.

It seems it's your insecure moral high horse and holier than thou attitude are distorting what i wrote in plain, simple English. Very funny indeed. Hahahaha I am outrageously amused and u know what? I'm actually laughing out loud at you. If you don't like don't read ok?

Last edited by kukubird; 04-01-2008 at 12:28 PM.
kukubird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #22
sgdcast

sgdcast has a neutral reputation

Hmm, insecure moral high horse and holier than thou attitude? I think I did mention my main point was 'respect'? It may be your pride that has blinded yourself from the fact that you have subconsiously ranked some jobs as being 'less prestigious'? For example, your saying of a 'dentist being a medicine reject'? Had you have respect for the occupation you would not need to mention about it because you have may have hurt those who truly aspire to be a dentist. Why leave the coloured glasses on? What you perceive may not be what it truly represents. And through your statement, you are trying to say that a cleaner is not a JOB?

Trying to impose ones perception and stereotype is what that have hurt the various occupations that are available not only in Singapore, but in other countries as well. Why the need to look for the best job? Instead, make your job the best you can.

I may not like what you say, but since I have posted the previous reply, I have been expecting your respond, so I have kindly read through your whole reply, kukubird. With regards to your plain English, its is true that it can be understood easily, but I guess you may want to omit some words that mislead your TONE.
sgdcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #23
admin
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

Hi all

Please be reminded to keep the discussion polite and civil. Thank you.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #24
dershing
BrightSparks Expert

dershing has a neutral reputation

With reference to kukubird post in another thread, thought more relevant to post it here.

1) Indochine I believe is Michael Ma, not Michael Lu. And it think he was a trader before hand and Indochine was his first R&B venture at Club Street.

2) Apex Pal is local listed company that grew from very humble roots.

3) No was not refering to Adam Khoo. This guy I know is super low profile and his business is also not famous. Makes money overseas mainly. Adam khoo if I am not wrong family quite ok, owns ad agency Adcom.

Basically, I was just making the point that entreprenuership can give equally rewarding career in terms of financials. Equally rewarding when compared to IB or Admin Service or Sales or Trading. But of course again the skills, personaility required very different.

And also, i think many such SME owners ($5M - 20M) are low profile. They may make very good money but they are more keen on their industry and their competition, then they are to let others know that starting from scratch can be very rewarding.

And I think quite a few success stories start with just $100K to $300K. But they do not straight away scale to $5M business. They grow it over 5 to 10 years or even more. It takes time to grow your brand name and credibility with clients.
dershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #25
nayandeepsingh

nayandeepsingh has a neutral reputation
Default is there any place for engineers??

well....an interesting discussion about dentists, lawyers, GP's......but i cudnt find engineers....anybody has any idea how much the engineers start at??
from what i've heard, it not much a popular career...
nayandeepsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #26
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

engineers aren't gonna starve just because their payscales don't match lawyers' or doctors'. do what you like! but since it's such an unpopular course now, chances are engineers will be in greater demand and thus on higher payscales in the future.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:53 AM   #27
ScK

ScK has a neutral reputation

ya..agree..i m doing engineering..hahaha
ScK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #28
fzhfzh

fzhfzh has a neutral reputation

IMO, it's always best to choose a career of your passion. The world economy is always about a matter of supply and demand. Yes, the starting pay could differ between jobs, but once you become the ace in your job field, the salary difference really doesn't matter anymore, a good hawker owner could be earning times that of a lawyer for all we know. To become an ace in the field however, we need to beat our competition, and what makes you think that you have an advantage over your competition when you took up the career simply because you hopped on to the bandwagon in promise of a good paying job?
fzhfzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #29
barney89

barney89 has a neutral reputation
Default Hate It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukubird View Post
Most people still view Dentistry as Medicine rejects (which is still largely true). Even if they do earn almost as much as entry level GPs, there is a prestige problem, if it doesn't bug you.
With only 42 places I am extremely sure that dentistry is a coveted choice and if Medicine Rejects really don't think that they want it so badly enough to say yes to it, let other people who really have the passion for dentistry enter. Don't just enter for the sake of prestige, lucrative money or anything else. Have the passion for the people, their patients. If they are unsure about what they want, don't deprive people who really recognize what they desire and worst still cannot afford overseas education, but are unfortunately deprived because of Medicine Rejects. Medicine Rejects, BE CLEAR of what you want!
barney89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #30
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney89 View Post
With only 42 places I am extremely sure that dentistry is a coveted choice and if Medicine Rejects really don't think that they want it so badly enough to say yes to it, let other people who really have the passion for dentistry enter. Don't just enter for the sake of prestige, lucrative money or anything else. Have the passion for the people, their patients. If they are unsure about what they want, don't deprive people who really recognize what they desire and worst still cannot afford overseas education, but are unfortunately deprived because of Medicine Rejects. Medicine Rejects, BE CLEAR of what you want!
You make it sound like medicine rejects are the worst scum on Earth. Be clear of what they want? They want to study Medicine. And a lot of them also choose Dentistry mainly because it is the next closest thing. In terms of syllabus, both Medicine and Dentistry focus a lot on Chemistry and Biology, and Dentistry students study as much as 70% of the syllabus studied by Medicine students.

At the age of 18, I can't say that many people have this "passion" for Dentistry. Passion for medicine, yes that is likely, because it is much more convenient to get attached to a hospital/clinic for internships etc. It is not so common for Dentistry. In fact, most people dont even think about becoming a Dentist until they actually read up on it! I believe it is mainly interest that drives people to apply for Dentistry. It does not mean that someone who scores good grades must apply for Dentistry or Medicine, and even if they do, not all of them will get in. You must be able to meet the requirements of the interviewers. If you flunk at the interview, then that is too bad. Don't assume that everyone who gets in is going for the prestige/money. Dental grads from NUS have to foot 70k SGD for tuition fees, so if a student is going to take a bank loan first, then pay off that amount by himself, he wont be very rich after he graduates would he? A fresh dental grad has a 4 year bond to serve, and even if the pay is higher than grads from other courses, the dental grad must pay off the HUGE debt. It will be a long way to go before he even breaks even with others.

Every year, a HUGE number of people become the so called "medicine rejects" that seems to me like theyre the worse kind of scum on Earth. The bulk of this "medicine rejects" do not end up in Dentistry because there are so few places in the first place! Many applicants who got in have Dentistry as their first choice. It is not fair to put others down because they got rejected.

Last edited by Ashearo; 06-05-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote