BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS > Health Sciences (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Wishful

Wishful has a neutral reputation
Default NUS School of Medicine

I have just got my 'A' level results and would like to ask about getting into NUS medicine.

While I have a good academic record, I do not have a substantial portfolio because I was not that active in my CCA in my JC days. Is it possible for me to apply next year instead using my 2007 GCE A Level results, using the extra time to build up a track record in community involvement and societal activities. Would I be disadvantaged in any sense?

Can anyone please help? Thanks!

Mod Ashearo Edit:

AY 2010 Intake Tuition fees for Medicine

SGD 19,720 for Singapore Citizens
SGD 23,670 for PR
SGD 31,560 for International Students

Last edited by Ashearo; 03-18-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Wishful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
benzzz

benzzz has a neutral reputation

hi,
i'm thinking of applying to nus medicine too. i would like to know more about the process of applying, the interview part as well. Do we have to send any other supporting documents when applying to nus medicine? (e.g. school recommendation letter)

thx
benzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
kyrii

kyrii has a neutral reputation

ya... some of my friends sent in recommendation letters from attachments they did after their A levels at national cancer centre for example...

well the process is quite simple really (just really unpredictable)
1. they shortlist people for interview by looking at your grades/ cca record/ recommendation letters (but sometimes even 4As don't get through, it will forever be a mystery)
2. you go for the interview
3. you take an essay 'test' not really a test la. they like ask you what is the biggest sacrifice you had to make. at least that was the question last year (i think!)
4. they shortlist the final accepted people
5. appeal process for unsuccessful applicants

but u can only apply once - if you get shortlisted for the interview you cannot reapply the next year, except under the exceptional individual scheme

(i don't take medicine, i just have A LOT of medicine friends)
Old 03-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

They shortlist you based on your grades. They have a minimum grade lets say AAA and B for GP so everyone with those grades or higher will be shortlisted for the essay, followed by 2 interviews by 3 interviewers each.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
sparky

sparky has a neutral reputation

Hi
I'm interested in medicine too, but i got a C for my Project Work. Would it harm my chances of being shortlisted for medicine if got As in all the other h1/h2 subjects?
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
ohno

ohno has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
They shortlist you based on your grades. They have a minimum grade lets say AAA and B for GP so everyone with those grades or higher will be shortlisted for the essay, followed by 2 interviews by 3 interviewers each.
I have AAAB but D for GP..Any chance getting shortlisted?
ohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
Ashearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohno View Post
I have AAAB but D for GP..Any chance getting shortlisted?
Chances are really quite low sorry
Old 03-18-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Wishful

Wishful has a neutral reputation

If you read up, the computation for university score ( 50 percent ) is based upon your 3 H2 subjects, together with GP and PW. It does not matter much if you didn't do that well in your other subjects such as your H3. The only advantage I can think of is that you can bring up to the interviewing committee abt your multitasking ability and possibly your added advantage since you have done some cse in Chemistry or some sort!
Wishful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
reboot

reboot has a neutral reputation

Hi may I know when will we receive the notification of shortlisting for the Medicine interview and essay test? Which week do they normally send the notification? Is it by email or a snail mail? I have just applied for medicine and eagerly waiting for reply.

I am from the 2006 A level batch and took the old exam. I've got triple sci AAAA but B3 for GP with no S paper. PW grade is 1. Is there a good chance that they will shortlist me? And since I'm "older" than the new batch who had just received the A level result this year, will I be discriminated by the admission committee?
reboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #10
Ashearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reboot View Post
Hi may I know when will we receive the notification of shortlisting for the Medicine interview and essay test? Which week do they normally send the notification? Is it by email or a snail mail? I have just applied for medicine and eagerly waiting for reply.

I am from the 2006 A level batch and took the old exam. I've got triple sci AAAA but B3 for GP with no S paper. PW grade is 1. Is there a good chance that they will shortlist me? And since I'm "older" than the new batch who had just received the A level result this year, will I be discriminated by the admission committee?
How come you didnt get shortlisted last year? Or you didnt apply last year? I think you have a good chance of getting shortlisted. No I dont think you will be discriminated. Its not your fault that you took the old syllabus. You will know that you get shortlisted around end of april. Courses that are very competitive and requires tests and interviews will usually send out their letters of interviews/acceptance much later than the other courses.

So when you see all your friends getting their acceptance letters and you haven't got yours, its a good sign that you are still being considered for medicine. In this case, no news is good news. If you have been rejected by medicine, then you will be automatically considered for your next course of choice, and if it happens to be one that doesnt require tests or interviews, then you will get your acceptance letter early like everyone else.