BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SMU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
sonrocker

sonrocker has a neutral reputation
Exclamation SMU Interviews

Dear all fellow brightsparkers

As far as I know, a round of interview is mandatory for all undergraduate applicants in SMU. Could u guys please spare some time giving me tips/advice on the following concerns?

1. What should be the dress code? A formal pair of pants and white/coloured shirt, perhaps?
2. What are the questions that SMU interviewers would like to ask, apart from " Tell me about yourself" type of question?
3. What are the questions that u have been asked yourself? [ This question is specially directed to current/past SMU students ]
4. What are the qualities that SMU interviewers usually keep a look-out for?
5. How long does a typical interview session take?

Responses are greatly welcomed and appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

Hi sonrocker, I asked my friend studying in SMU. These are his answers:

1) Formal is recommended
2) They will usually ask you hypothetical questions based on current affairs and will ask you for your opinion
3) I was asked to comment on the Virginia Tech shootings and whether lax firearms laws had anything to do with it
4) you will be interviewed in a group so they want to see that you are comfortable with sharing your opinions and group discussions. this is because your classes will be like this and profs want outgoing pple who will contribute to class discussions
5) i can't remember, mine was about 20min
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Say hi to us here!
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
sonrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanshuo View Post
Hi sonrocker, I asked my friend studying in SMU. These are his answers:

1) Formal is recommended
2) They will usually ask you hypothetical questions based on current affairs and will ask you for your opinion
3) I was asked to comment on the Virginia Tech shootings and whether lax firearms laws had anything to do with it
4) you will be interviewed in a group so they want to see that you are comfortable with sharing your opinions and group discussions. this is because your classes will be like this and profs want outgoing pple who will contribute to class discussions
5) i can't remember, mine was about 20min
Thanks alot for ur quick reply. May i know which course was ur friend enrolled into? And should the responses be politically correct, just to avoid being scrutinised if mistake is unwittingly made? TIA!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

My friend is studying law. I don't think your answers need to be PC, just mature and well-thought.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Say hi to us here!
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
sonrocker

Right, no wonder he/she was asked about firearms laws. How about interview sessions for students applying for SMU School of Business/Accountancy/Economics/Information System? I guess the interviewers have different sets of questions.

Please keep the responses coming in. Thanks alot.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
jace

jace has a neutral reputation

Hi there

been thru the interview a couple of years ago already so heres my take on it:

1. go FORMAL!! yes good impressions count for lots at interviews!
2. SMU interviewers will not ask the tell me about yourself questions. it'll likely be a panel interview so do make yourself stand out from the rest of the others being interviewed at the same time with you.
knowledge of current affairs will be good so you can insert relevant examples to prove your point
3. for business school: Marketing is evil. debate.
for law school: what do you think about IRs? what do you think about organ trading?
4. I think they look out for: confident people, people who arent afraid to offer (and substantiate) what THEY think about things (even though it might be different from what the rest of the other interviewees think) and people who are able to speak well and present a well informed, professional image overall
5. max half and hour but there might be an essay session following the oral interviews
jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
sonrocker

Thank u Jace, appreciate it. What courses did u apply for? xD What are the potential topics for the essay session?

Last edited by sonrocker; 03-12-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
jace

jace has a neutral reputation

Heyo

(ok its complicated) I applied for a Biz and Econs double degree for entry into SMU. (I changed to law and Biz only after year one). For my essay session my question was: describe the happiest / saddest day of your life
jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
sonrocker

Haha, e qn is quite random. Thx for sharing.

Anw, seniors, pls keep the responses coming in.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
faith-ed

faith-ed has a neutral reputation

hi all!
any updates to the types of qns?

and how come there's an essay session?? is it only for law course?
faith-ed is offline   Reply With Quote