BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #161
sonrocker

sonrocker has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayercsa View Post
I'm interested in Finance major. One pro of NTU is it is a CFA partner. Will help me if I wan to be a financial analyst next time.
Yes NTU is a CFA partner. BUT passing the CFA exams depends on you as a candidate. I don't see the connection actually.

Being a Banking & Finance major is not difficult. If you don't screw up your 1st year, I do not see a problem.
sonrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #162
seeweiren

seeweiren has a neutral reputation

Quote:
I'm interested in Finance major. One pro of NTU is it is a CFA partner. Will help me if I wan to be a financial analyst next time.

If you are so determined to be a financial analyst, I will suggest you to go look up the course outline for each specific module and look out for who's the instructor. That will help you for your school selection. CFA partner doesnt mean that you degree will transform you cert to a CFA equivalent. You still have to take the paper in any case.

And trust me the real world case scenario will never be the same as what you are taught, where academics will tell you everything under an arbitrage-free and market efficient condition.
seeweiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #163
slayercsa

slayercsa has a neutral reputation

Actually I got friends telling me that SMU B&F is better than NTU's and they are from NTU.

Anyone from NTU with similar sentiments..?
slayercsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #164
PacMan

PacMan has a neutral reputation

I think NUS is better than NTU, but I don't think SMU is better than NTU.

Just personal opinion lar...
PacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #165
seeweiren

Quote:
Actually I got friends telling me that SMU B&F is better than NTU's and they are from NTU.

Anyone from NTU with similar sentiments..?
B&F is so broad! Look out for what sort of division you are interested in. There are different tracks offered by NTU and SMU, i.e. Investment Banking, International Trading etc. If you like risk management aspect of Finance,NTU and SMU offer Actuarial Science, while NUS doesn't. Also, NUS and SMU offer Quantitative Finance at Undergraduate Level, just that NUS offer that in the School of Science in Applied Mathematics.
From what i know, NUS finance is just a general major.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #166
slayercsa

slayercsa has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweiren View Post
B&F is so broad! Look out for what sort of division you are interested in. There are different tracks offered by NTU and SMU, i.e. Investment Banking, International Trading etc. If you like risk management aspect of Finance,NTU and SMU offer Actuarial Science, while NUS doesn't. Also, NUS and SMU offer Quantitative Finance at Undergraduate Level, just that NUS offer that in the School of Science in Applied Mathematics.
From what i know, NUS finance is just a general major.
Haha ye. I just saw BBM guidebook..Mind teling me what you learn from Quantitative finance? Cause it sounds pretty awesome.
slayercsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:24 AM   #167
seeweiren

http://www.business.smu.edu.sg/disci...ative_finance/
Old 03-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #168
marcus

marcus has a neutral reputation

Dear all,

NUS will be having its open house from 12-13 March 2011 (Sat - Sun).

The NUS Business School will be represented by a huge contingent of passionate undergraduates (we only get paid a nominal fee).

If you are unsure of whether NUS, or NUS Business School is for you, this is a good opportunity to ask seniors about their experiences, as this will be the best way for you to make an informed choice.

I will be there as well (Saturday 9am-1pm), so you can PM me if you want to discuss more about making your choice.

Alternatively, you can PM me to discuss it via the message system as well!

Regards,
Marcus
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #169
cheng0112

cheng0112 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan View Post
I think NUS is better than NTU, but I don't think SMU is better than NTU.

Just personal opinion lar...
i beg to differ.
was from nus.
4 years of chap-pa-lang, ntu completed in 3 years.
big 4 firm , credit suisse and goldman-sach always target and go to ntu to "poach" those students but for my school, seldom. really sad about it.

and my NUS accounting lecturers were all graduates of NTU some more. -_-" how ironic. anyway i've graduated from NUS and currently working as a banker but still i always regretted not getting into ntu.

and please.
smu stands no where near ntu/nus. its rife rumor that goes like this.

During a career job fair at NUS :
Partner to banking and finance student: hi, why don't you apply with my firm? (big 4)
Banking n finance student: but i have no experience in accounting!
Partner: don't worry, even what you have learnt is more then half of what smu accounting students learn.

LOL. im serious and im not kidding. many of my lecturers was present when that partner said that. maybe things changed.. and SMU up-ped their standard..
cheng0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #170
cheng0112

cheng0112 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrocker View Post
First of all, you should reapply. Having options is always a good thing.
I'm from NTU and this is my perspectives:

NBS:
+Great level of support from profs and seniors BUT you have to build the network yourself in order to climb to the top.
+Shorter duration of the course is uniquely advantageous. Getting into the market earlier than your peers could make a difference.
+Other points in terms of cheaper tuition fees and reputation.
+NTU Biz has an option of taking Accountancy as the second specification if you make the cut ( Application in year 2 )
-It's inconvenient to make a journey to NTU everyday if you stay quite a distance away. But if you get a place in hall, it's a non-issue. A few of my friends actually stay in Pasir Ris. I admire these people. Haha.
Other points to note:
.NBS also has seminar style and class participation is also a component, however, I will be lying if I say it's heavily emphasized.
.Streaming depends on your GPA and individual score of certain modules. What specification(s) are you interested in?

SMU:
+Extremely robust career service. I have seen my SMU counterparts landing offers that other schools can't lay their hands on. I remember UBS sent to NTU a list of offers and some of the top jobs are already reserved to SMU students.
+The school environment in SMU is generally competitive. I think I would perform better if I see rich executives on my way to school everyday. This is strictly personal. Haha.
+Saturday seems like another school day in SMU. You will be swamped with projects. This is not to say you won't in NTU but it's possible for NBS students to arrange their timetable such that they have one weekday off.
+SMU Biz has specific tracks ( Quant Finance, Investment Banking, etc ) and they provide a good foundation if you plan to go into such field.
-It burns a hole in your pocket just paying the school fees.
-The marketing effort of saying SMU is this, that etc is not exactly the truth. It boils down to YOU as a person.

so....RE-APPLY! Haha.
re-apply.
if you can get to a better school, why not?
cheng0112 is offline   Reply With Quote